2022 Niro - News or Rumors

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Raleigh Ron, Jan 9, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Raleigh Ron

Raleigh Ron Member

Hey, is it too soon to start speculating on the 2022 Niro? Some websites have seen the new body style being tested in disguise in Europe already. And is it too much to hope that it might resemble the HabaNiro concept - more like a mashup of the current Soul and Niro -- and that it might have an electric version for sale in the US soon? HabaNiroConcept.PNG

Kendalf likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Raleigh Ron

Raleigh Ron Member

Just watched the New Kia Brand Showcase video on YouTube. It was rather light on specifics -- with just a glimpse of upcoming EVs in silhouette. But there was this fleeting view of a vehicle in the Kia Design Center. Perhaps the next body style of Kia Niro? Or is this an existing Kia model, and I'm just wishful thinking?
    Capture.PNG

Kendalf likes this.
  4. blue_door

blue_door Member

It would be nice if it were rear wheel or AWD drive, at least the EV model.

5. Unless they add more motors, the extra drag of AWD would sort of fly in the face of the economy of an electric car....

And of course no way they would make a rear wheel only car, no room...

6. blue_door

blue_door Member

Of course you would have a front motor and a rear motor in an AWD EV -- why would you think they would put mechanical drivetrain in? That's silly. This is why a dedicated EV platform is the way forward. A FWD electric car is not nearly as pleasant a driving experience as a RWD/AWD setup. While I agree there is more drag with an AWD setup, it can be made very minimal because you can choose when to engage the front motor. Audi is doing this with their eTron. It is primarily RWD and then the front motor is engaged when more power or traction is demanded. Ford's Mach-E will be offered in both RWD (single motor) or AWD (dual motor) versions. With an EV, there is absolutely NO reason why RWD is as easy to design for than FWD because you don't have to have a driveshaft or other mechanical connections from the engine in the front of the car and the motor in the back of the car.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

My Niro is OK in the heavy rain we've had recently in the PNW. My Subaru Outback feels a little more surefooted, however. No snow this year so far and almost none last year, but when it comes, it can be heavy. Depending on where you live, AWD may be really attractive.

9. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

A lot depends on the tires. Recently, I had the opportunity to drive a Hyundai Kona electric (front-wheel drive only) with the new Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires - fresh snow for part of the route, slush for the rest and wet, slippery road. I was so impressed with the confidence and grip. In similar conditions, the much weaker Opel Astra on the already worn Goodyear Ultra Grip 7 was much less reliable, despite the huge difference in torque and weight of the vehicle (which is important for handling in slippery corners). I am an old driver, I drive quite aggressively, the Hyundai Kona electric has a known understeer, yet excellent tires change the situation. Sure, 4x4 would be even better.

10. Tomek

Tomek Active Member

However, in order not to go beyond the plot, it would be nice if the next Kia Niro remained less aggressively styled and more luxuriously finished than its Hyundai counterpart. Customers like to have a lot of choice.

11. Raleigh Ron

Raleigh Ron Member

CarScoops website posted a picture (I'm guessing it's just an artist's rendering) of what they thought the 2022 Kia Niro might look like. They suggest it will have a slightly longer wheelbase, a bolder tiger-nosed grill, boomerang tail-lights and increased range.

12. To remove this ad click here.