2022 Mini Cooper SE - In Focus: A New Video Series

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, May 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I've created a new YouTube channel in order to post detailed, close up videos of the 2022 LCI. I am not a professional youtuber, but I hope some prospective owners will find it informative.

I kept it simple to start with, with my first effort showing the new front end trim and the EV motor under the hood. I am currently working on a video demonstrating the new Nappa leather steering wheel, the Active Cruise Control, the HUD display, and Speed Limiter function.

MiniSER, Lainey, miatadan and 10 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Excellent videography! You also have a good voice for the narration, but cleverly use your videography to minimize the need for narration (eg. when you showed pulling the hood-release lever twice, stayed long enough on the lever to show the "2x" label, and then showed the hood's position with each pull of the hood-release lever).

I personally appreciate your warning about losing the rubber grommets on the motor cover. After waiting 6 months and then receiving the wrong grommets, I'm now waiting for the dealer's parts department to sort out the problem. I hope it won't take another 6 months. If I'm lucky, the grommets are now stocked in the US.

MichaelC, GvilleGuy and Todd Swift like this.
  4. Todd Swift

Todd Swift New Member

Great video! Did you order it with the rack? I'm curious how your range will be impacted with and without the rack. Maybe an idea for a later video!

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. GvilleGuy

My wife joked that my pale legs lighted the front of the Mini quite nicely! It's hard to shoot video of the shiny paint without being in the shot!

Thanks, @insightman! My next video is more challenging, as I will attempt some camera mounting in the car to narrate and drive while talking about ACC.

@Todd Swift , thank you. Yes, I ordered with the factory roof rails, and then the Mini brand cross bars were added at the dealer. The bike rack is a Yakima HighRoad. I am impressed with the Mini cross bars - the locks are decent, and the tightening mechanism is well done. It's a "turn until it clicks" deal, so you know when you're done. And, yes, some range tests with and without all the roof stuff is a good idea.

Todd Swift likes this.
  6. insightman

There are so many variables that affect range. It would take a wind-tunnel or a very lengthy test period to minimize all variables other than the addition of a roof rack or even a roof rack with two bicycles on it.

Of course, there are some additions that would make their effect on range immediately obvious.

upload_2021-5-4_11-9-7.png

GetOffYourGas and GvilleGuy like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

I was out for a drive tonight, 800 miles on the odometer, and thinking about the SE features I am most impressed with:

1) The HUD: I expected it to be a ‘cool toy’ - but this is one of my favorite features of the entire car. I use it way more than the instrument cluster. A very nice surprise.

2) The infotainment system: both Apple CarPlay and the Mini software look fantastic on the perfectly-sized touch screen. The piano black trim around the inner circle of the screen, as well as the black trim extending along the dash, contribute to making the screen look like it is floating at times. And the piano trim is not “dusting up” as much as I expected. I keep an extra microfiber cloth in the glove box, and it’s a quick clean.

3) The LED lighting throughout the cabin with color selection - amazing atmosphere.

4) The rain sensing wipers, which I have never had on another car, are fantastic.

The feature I was most excited about, and is less important than I expected, is the active cruise control. I am glad I have it, but will primarily use it on highways. On local roads I am becoming accustomed to the one-pedal drive feel, and maintaining a certain speed is pretty easy.

9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Have you tried the high beams assistant yet? That is amazing, I can drive through city traffic and the high beams never trigger inappropriately.

10. insightman

I'm surprised when people disparage the SE's HUD. I, too, love it.

Thanks for mentioning that feature. I wonder how many other features I've never tried before? Maybe I should follow this forum more closely :).

I've never had a car with such powerful high beams as the LEDs on our SE. The evening of the day I took delivery, I flashed them on for a second and the lady across the street thought a lightning storm was about to pass through town! I was apprehensive as I awaited my SE because the LED headlights on our Clarity Plug-In Hybrid are worse than the incandescent headlights on any car I've owned.

Oldster reminiscence: I remember back in '67 when I installed Lucas "Flamethrower" driving lights on my Dad's 1965 Fiat 1500 sports car (how many have ever heard of that car, the 124 Sport Spider's predecessor?). Wow, were those beams amazing! They almost got me arrested when I blasted them into the face of a sheriff's deputy down the road. As amazing as those those Flamethrowers were back then, they're mere flashlights when compared to the MINI's headlights.

I'm glad that, unlike the original Mini, there are no failure-prone Lucas electric parts on our MINIs. Back then Lucas was known as the Lord of Darkness, which is funny, considering they made some of the most powerful driving lights of that era. However, there were many drivers of British automobiles who cursed Lucas as they stood by the side of the road next to their electrically disabled vehicles.

11. GvilleGuy

Yes - I have used it a few times. I only had one instance when I reached quickly to turn them off. I was approaching a right turn and a car was sitting there waiting to turn left - the high beams came on right in their face.

I agree! I feel like I'm turning on stadium lights. I find even the regular headlights (no high beams) are extremely bright and wide and far reaching. Very impressive. I also like the turning lights.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Great job @GvilleGuy! I mean, for a first video, that was pretty impressive. @insightman is right, you have a good narration voice. You have my subscription! I will be anxiously awaiting future videos so I know exactly what to expect with my now in transit SE in addition to all the info I'm picking up on this forum. Thanks!:)

AndGuz likes this.
  14. GvilleGuy

Thanks so much! I am struggling at the moment to get non-shaky video while driving the car. Experimenting with cameras and mounts. I hope to have the ACC video done this weekend at some point.

MichaelC likes this.
  15. Norbu72

Norbu72 Active Member

Nice video. I’m looking forward to more. I can’t get enough of the mini videos.

Here’s a dumb question. What does the LCI stand for in 2022 LCI?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

GvilleGuy likes this.
  16. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

LCI stands for Life Cycle Impulse, the term BMW/MINI uses to describe an update to a vehicle in between generation (e.g. chassis) updates.

AndGuz and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. insightman

Other, less-sophisticated companies call it an MMC for "Minor Model Change" (although some claim it means Mid-Model Change).

MichaelC likes this.