2021 US Kona EV's have heat pump and mgmt system yet?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FISHEV, Dec 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. FISHEV

FISHEV Member

Kona EV's with the heat pump and battery temp management system were not available to US buyers in 2020, does anyone know if the 2021 changes include heat pump and battery temp management in US yet?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Kona always had battery temp management! It's always been liquid cooled and managed it's temperature!

But as you mentioned it didn't have a great pump/battery heater. That was/is only available in Canada and other northern countries.

As I understand the 21 model year is supposed to have the heat pump, but don't take my word for it.

4. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

The 2019 Kona EV in the USA did not have a battery heater or heat pump as you said it was liquid cooled. In other words, it had no way to warm the high voltage batteries for charging but could cool them. It also did not have a "winter mode" of course. I thought this was suppose to change in the 2020 model.

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Not quite true - just driving the car warms the battery. Not as much as if you had a battery heater, but the effect is still significant.

6. NZ Konas have always been equipped with the heat pump but not Australia. I suspect that's mostly about importers just guessing what's appropriate.
    But not nearly as significant as when DCFC, which at the max rate of 77kW results in what I would estimate is about 3/4 of what the battery heater can provide. Of course you need the warmth to get that max rate and when you've reached that rate you may soon need cooling.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FISHEV

FISHEV Member

I saw some Nyland tests that Kona EV had a slow charging curve, it dropped quickly from 75kW top rate. You would think that would also slow the heating of the battery especially if the ambient temp was cold enough to need heating of the battery in the first place. The reason for the heating option is so the battery can accept the top charge to speed up the public charging. EV's should have a "Heat Battery for Charging" button that turns on battery heating for 15 minutes, like the rear window defrosters.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    GeorgeS and Esprit1st like this.
  9. That would be a great option to have, the question is just if it's worth the energy you put into it and potentially lower range.

I personally think the charge curve isn't bad at all. That's obviously subjective, though.

10. FISHEV

FISHEV Member

It's more the time saving while on the road using public chargers. Since you are heading to a charger, 15(?) minutes of battery heating while you drive might use up a few kWh but you'll save 15 minutes on charging as it can charge at top rate.

Esprit1st likes this.
  11. Definitely. If you have enough charge no problem. If you're running low you could shoot yourself in the foot. Those few kWh could mean making it to the charger or not.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FISHEV

FISHEV Member

The Tesla does the calcs automatically. It has "Preconditioning Battery for Charging" when you navigate to the Tesla charger. Hard to do unless the nav and the charging are linked. Leaving it up to driver when to use "Charging Preconditioning" is the best way to handle it.

GeorgeS likes this.
  14. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Exactly. The GOM could take this "switch" in account. If turned on, and the outside temp is low, then it can calculate this into the GOM. All the data is there. The heating of the battery is not just to attain the max charging speed. The batteries are actually less impacted with being at a warm state. This is why it is standard with the Teslas. Currently the GOM adjusts for running the climate control, why couldn't it adjust for the battery preheat? From my experience driving in freezing temps, that it doesn't warm the battery much. The extreme cold chills them at the same time. There has to be a balance for all of us in cold climates.

Esprit1st likes this.
  15. Very true. I wish the GOM / Navi would calculate elevation as well. But at least that might be coming. The latest update shows mountains and hills in the 3d view.