2021 Niro EV EX premium A/C stopped working after 12v died

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Bobbi, Aug 25, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bobbi

Bobbi New Member

Hey all, 2021 Niro EV EX premium. I’ve had my car almost a year. I love it. A month ago, the 12v died overnight, I went out and bought a booster and got her started, no problem. I did get a warning light briefly after starting, but it went out and I assume it was because of the battery being boosted. In any case, my air conditioning has not worked since. Air blows. Light comes on etc, but it won’t cool. I finally got an appt at dealership and they basically pushed the AC button for 2.5 hours and took my car for a drive. Then said I need another appt for “further evaluation” and some BS about complicated fuse checking they weren’t able to complete today. Has anyone else experienced this? I’ll be going through the manual and checking the fuses myself this weekend, as I have no fath in the ability of the dealership at this point. (I did book another appt - 2 more weeks away, but I’m frustrated and we are having heatwave after heatwave in my city). Any thoughts? Experiences? Thanks in advance!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

My AC is currently down, but my dealership quickly identified that there is a valve that needs to be replaced (part on order). That's a standard ICE kind of thing; on EV specific stuff, well, YMMV depending on the tech/mechanic assigned to the car. I've had pretty good luck with this dealer on my 2019 (not that I've had any serious problems, some questions). They've designated one guy to lead on EV issues so he is pretty up on stuff. Only problem is getting to him, but they do offer loaners on warranty stuff...they offered that on my AC issue.

Bobbi likes this.
  4. Bobbi

Bobbi New Member

Thanks for replying :) Did you have any symptoms other than the A/C not blowing cold air? Battery impacted? air flow limited?

5. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

Nope, just a bad valve resulting a leak of whatever is being used these days (not freon, I think)

Bobbi likes this.