2021 Kona EV - Complimentary maintenance

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ColoradoKonaEV, Jan 6, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I lease 2021 Kona EV. It comes with 3 year complimentary maintenance.
    This is the third service at 15,000 miles. According the schedule the climate control air filter (another work for cabin filter) is due to be replaced. I was told it was not replaced because it "looked clean". If I want it replaced I have to pay for it. This is what they told me.

The complimentary maintenance according them includes inspection, tire rotation, oil change with free oil and oil filter. Since this is an electric car it comes down to tire rotation and inspection.

So, can anyone confirm the cabin filter is out of pocket expense? Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It seems to me that's their option since they're paying and as long as they sign off the service as being complete.

I always tell the dealer to "carry out the minimum work required to sign the warranty book" and every time they skip the filter which saves me $100, about 1/3 of the full service cost. Mine is still clean after 4 years because the car has only traveled 24,000 km in low-dust conditions.

Some owners here buy the prepaid 4 years of service which includes that and end up with a stack of barely-used filters.

4. Yes, I can confirm that replacement of the cabin air filter is not covered by the complimentary maintenance as was explained to me when I took my Kona in for its 15,000 mile service in October. I believe the charge is at least $60 plus tax if the service folks replace it. It's a 5-minute, tool-less job to check it or replace it on your own and you can get equivalent replacement filters for ~$20 - or less if you use Amazon.

I'm (pleasantly) surprised that your service department actually inspected your filter and didn't simply blindly replace it and charge you. Where I went, the implication (or my inference) was that it was going to be replaced no matter what, so I requested that they don't even look at it even though inspecting it is clearly part of their multi-point inspection form.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. If you own the car, it is optional...like everything else. PERIOD
    There is nothing wrong with upgrading to a better product (and probably more cost effective) than what Hyundai has to offer for a replacement;)