2021 Kona Electric facelift photos now out ...

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KiwiME, Nov 11, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. mho and lars2885 like this.
  3. I think it looks pretty sharp, and it needs to, to compete with the MachE and iD3 and 4, etc.
    Funny how they removed the cheap port covers for the photo shoot so they're not just hanging down. And it appears that Hyundai didn't bother to address cold weather door opening issues.

upload_2020-11-12_9-24-38.png

syntaxfx likes this.
  4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Lars likes this.
  5. To remove this ad click here.

6. My understanding is that the dimples are more effective where the airflow runs across the surface or separates, rather than directly impacting. I like the cleaner look but less so the slight hint of a copy of the Model 3 lip.

R P and electriceddy like this.
  7. I think it looks sooooo much better. Would have liked faster charging. Personally dislike that it is a longer car even though that comes with interior space benefits, one would hope.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  8. srkz

srkz New Member

You know there's a little hook to hang the port cover on so it doesn't just hang down right? I use it every time.

Attached Files:

Domenick likes this.
  9. I use that too but it doesn’t help when you fast charge as you have two dangling covers.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. srkz

srkz New Member

Well, it helps about half as much as it needs to, at least. :D

12. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Huh, that nose contour is rather ... Model-3-ish.

_H*

syntaxfx, Lars and KiwiME like this.
  13. The restyle looks nice, but I can't say it would compel me to ditch my current Kona in its favor.

Lars, Clamps and R P like this.
  14. I agree the front end has a Tesla vibe to it. If it came in all wheel drive I would definitely be adding it to the list of EV's to consider when my lease is up in 18 months.

15. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

The textured front helps to hide the charging port door. With the smooth front the door really draws your attention, and it doesn't look good at all. Also, at least on mine (2020 model), there's a non-functional panel on the passenger side as well which makes it symmetrical, and also helps the door to not stand out.

I also wonder if they could do something about that seam that goes from the DRL to the wheel arch. I know you need a fender panel seam somewhere but again, it draws my eye to it and doesn't look great. I feel like the wheel arch trim could be a single, separate piece without a seam, and the panel seam could have gone straight down to the headlight to make it shorter? The lighting in that photo probably makes it look a lot worse than it would in person, too.

Still waiting for a manufacturer to have the guts to put golfball dimples all over the car :D I'm sure by varying the size, density and placement it could actually look quite nice and distinctive, though I bet they'd attract all sorts of filth and grime.

16. The weird thing about this is that the DC cover also has the loop that goes on the "hook". I'm not sure why.

17. It's a handle for removal and doesn't reach the hook anyway.

18. I agree. I just want my 'old style 2021' back on the road with the HV battery fixed.

19. I sure hope they changed the battery. The old ones are not very good.

20. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I am looking at the max charging rate - apparently still 75kW. If your main competition is the Bolt or Leaf, then it stacks up pretty good. But with the Ariya, ID.4, and Mustang coming out very soon, it starts to look kind of wimpy. How often do you need this? Don't know - that's very individual.

Lars likes this.
  21. You are right. Supposedly up to 80% of charge sessions are at home, using some L1 mostly L2. DC L3 charging is not cheap either. So unless you are a frequent long distance traveler a 75kWh charge intake should do. A bigger problem is the actual charge rate the car can take and sustain. Here the Kona comes up short. The 75kWh intake drops quickly, even at ideal temperatures.