2020 Clarity 60 miles with full EV

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Jimmy Vo, Jul 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Jimmy Vo

Jimmy Vo Member

Too good to be true? I tested with half freeway and half inroad, with AC on 80% of the time in Bay Area California.
    Anyone experience this good range?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

My maximum GOM so far is 54.

4. My best actual miles driven in EV is 65-67. I don’t have my log book at the moment. There may be a 68 mile trip on one occasion. Heavy traffic has a positive impact on EV range.

The displayed range is only an estimate and is based on previous trips. I regularly see estimates of 62-67 miles. If I hit the open road and travel at 70mph, that 65 mile estimate will be used up in 45 miles or less.

Welcome to the group.

5. JFon101231

JFon101231 Active Member

I think my best was mid to high 50s but I dont track.
    As noted many factors but flat travel (or downhill), LOWER speeds and warm but not hot ambient temps where you dont need much HVAC all help.

6. Danks

Danks Active Member

65 is the best we've seen. All relatively flat surface streets, warm temps.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Bruce J Deeter

Bruce J Deeter New Member

Typically, I don't fully deplete my charge (down to 1 bar or less, usually that kicks into HV automatically when near one bar, less than 2 miles EV range left). My low limit typically means a recharge is 14-15 kwh (not the 17 max). On one 14.2 kwh charge got 56 miles, June this year in the central Calif. valley heat. My last charge yesterday was 14.4kwh and got 63 miles, but there was some forced HV driving, maybe 10 miles worth. Going on my 1 year anniversary with the 2019 Clarity and have driven mostly EV around town, with the exception of a few 300 mile trips, so I drive EV almost all the time and love it. Have used 34 gal. gas total to date, the rest EV.

Enjoy your Clarity

9. Is this the dash gauge that is giving you these readings?

It is interesting that your car allows the battery gauge to go to 1 bar or less (zero), before automatically going into HV mode. I know you said “near one bar”. How do you determine when you are near one bar? When 2 miles of EV range remain? Has the gauge gone to one bar before HV engaged?

I’ve never seen one bar or zero and I’ve depleted the batteries to 0EV range and two bars and then driven 100 miles in the mountains from Oregon to Redding, CA.

Without fail, the car goes into HV when EV range goes from 0.1 to 0.0 and 2 bars show on the gauge.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    laptop and JFon101231 like this.
  10. The Gadgeteer

The Gadgeteer Active Member

I have experienced 60 miles EV in easy driving in warm or hot weather. Enjoy it while it lasts. Once it gets cold enough weather to warrant heavy heater use you will see that nice EV range plummet fast and far down.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  11. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Me too...

I think the max EV range I have seen (indicated, I don't often bother to measure actual) was 58. As far as charging goes, a 'full' charge for me was initially ~14.4 kWh. It has come down a little, and now is more like 13.5 kWh.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Bruce J Deeter

Bruce J Deeter New Member

Sorry, let me clarify. It definitely had kicked into HV by 1 bar left and maybe 1 mile (or less) remaining, per dash gauge. It's been a while since I let it get that low as an experiment, so I don't recall exactly when it kicked over to HV. Maybe more experimenting is in order to see where the threshold is. However, I very rarely let it get so low, where it kicks into HV. I keep an eye on the remaining EV bars and the estimated EV mileage range and keep a pretty good buffer. Rarely down to 2 miles estimated range left, typically closer to 4 miles (from the dash gauge, and 3-6 bars left). I'm just looking at my spreadsheet log where I track charge (have a charge meter hooked up) and mileage (via odometer reading). 14-15 KWh is my typical max charge when it's all EV using the buffer mentioned. The miles/Kwh is averaging of around 3.0 miles/Kwh, with several occurrences of over 3.5 miles/Kwh. That 56 mile trip was at 3.94 mi/KWh

14. coutinpe

coutinpe Active Member

I get usually 60-62 EV range when driving from San Fernando Valley to West LA and back in Econ mode (no freeways since I always use HV /SPORT for that). Within the Valley of from the Valley to Simi or Thousand Oaks it's 56-58. Never beyond 62. But always keep in mind, it's only a Guess-O-Meter based on previous driving.

15. Here are 2 photos taken after 2 different commutes. One shows 5 bars remaining on the battery gauge and an EV range of 5.1, the other shows 4 bars and an EV range of 5.0. It would have been interesting to drive until the 5.1 range hit 5.0 to see if the gauge would have dropped to 4 bars.

The B trip miles were all EV miles.

17C71D1A-7F7D-443B-BFA5-0C431116166E.jpeg 1CE1563F-F38A-48CC-872C-06CF5F98BB6E.jpeg

16. TomL

TomL Active Member

My max last year with 2018 Touring model was 66. This year my max occurred today at 62. I live in Wisconsin and these 60+ SOC readings occur when the temps are 70-80 degrees with modest humidity.