2020/2021 10.25 inch AVN unit update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Murry, Nov 15, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Murry

Murry Member

Latest update of the 10.25 inch units. In a nutshell:

- UI update obviously
    - Triple split screen is gone for the new minimalistic map home screen
    - Multiple driver profiles (name, settings, bluetooth device)
    - Improved address search (simply type it, without the old school country - city - street). POIs and addresses are now in a simple “Search” screen
    - Tesla-inspired Climate screen ;)

6C4328FC-32FD-4369-ACC6-26F7F044AE16.jpeg F4F8861C-F8B2-4B64-87E8-3E3631A74E9B.jpeg C28ECE5A-1762-4B65-B8B5-C483D377F964.jpeg 998AB074-E651-4203-B116-3F261A2FFB2C.jpeg 4CBB5D87-2425-4A4A-8CD6-BD83C27EF26D.jpeg A82BD52E-4CB4-4674-AA47-BBFDB59EFCC5.jpeg CC756678-6D7F-4CF2-8D70-5489F8210B82.jpeg BD270260-F27C-4558-98CA-F6FAD259DE75.jpeg DD455328-1A2A-4D41-8277-2FACB8F837F2.jpeg D54DC80F-744D-482C-B670-CAACB9E327FA.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I have not updated the nav yet (car 2.5 weeks old) nor have I or will be enabling telematics to receive Bluelink, and my 10.25 " screen still has the 3 split screen set up. Is this something that is updated with a new map update? If so- I will pass on that as well as I like the looks and functionality of the 3ple screen, what is the version update # where this has changed?

ehatch likes this.
  4. Murry

Murry Member

Latest one from literally a few says ago. Will take a screenshot of the version number tomorrow.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

What is this UPDATE ? to the NAV Software ??? that we just go an update for about 2 months ago?

6. Murry

Murry Member

Yep, latest nav software version.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

Interesting ... I went to the MAP site and nothing is available YET .. they say "end of November". Maybe rolling out in other countries first? I'm in USA - SF Bay Area.

9. Milkplus

Milkplus New Member

I'm in Norway and purchased a 2020 Kona Electric two weeks ago and can confirm that it came loaded with this version of the software. The guy at the dealership said that they updated it before handing the car over to me and that I was (if you believe him) one of the first in the country to get it.

Unfortunately, I can't speak to how it compares to the previous version but so far it has been buttery smooth and everything is fairly intuitive. The 'Sounds of Nature' thing is a bit daft, but I guess you can't win them all...

Tappets likes this.
  10. Can you explain what options are available to set on the home screen? I have my current screen as radio - map - battery info, and frankly like it as is. Is it a 10 inch wide one option only?!? How do you find out the same info now? Is it having to swipe a bunch, distracting while driving?

electriceddy likes this.
  11. Milkplus

Milkplus New Member

Seems like you can only set the home screen to have two active tiles at like a 70:30 split. Then you can swipe up and down on the righthand most tile to switch between functions.

Attached Files:

electriceddy and DaveO like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Patoz

Patoz New Member

Does anyone with the new update use Android Auto? If so, does it fix the inability for AA to use full screen width for AA navigation? (Apple Carplay can use full width, but AA only uses 2/3 at present with just an AA logo in the other 1/3)

14. Thanks for the photo, that actually looks pretty good; able to easily access the function least desired in the smaller window with a simple swipe.
    Maybe I might update it after all :)
    Still awaiting a version #, but I am sure it would be a similar one here.

15. Milkplus

Milkplus New Member

I use Android Auto and sadly it's the same deal - 2/3 of the screen is Google Maps/Spotify/podcast app etc, with the final 1/3 just has the AA logo.

What you can do, and what I do, which I'm unsure if was possible in the previous version, is to have the cars navigation on the 2/3 screen with media from AA on the 1/3 screen.

16. Milkplus

Milkplus New Member

Yeah, it's perfectly useable and swiping is pretty easy. I'll see if I can find the version number in settings and post it here :)

17. The download is available on the Hyundai website:

But if you use the radio, you might want to think twice about installing it.

Unlike the update downloads from MapnSoft, there is no PDF user guide. There is a QR code in the menus leading to this online manual.

The manual shows two different screen displays, Type 1 and Type 2.

This is my radio screen before the update. This looks like Type 1 in the manual.

The presets can't be rearranged; that feature was removed in the last software update.

20201124_165545.jpg

For the current update, Hyundai has decided that all that information clutters the screen up too much. They now use most of the display for a retro Nixie tube digital display of the frequency or channel number. This leaves no room for displaying the station or channel name on the preset buttons, but why would anyone want to know that?

20201124_174137.jpg

And the promised restoration of the ability to rearrange presets? Dream on. They remain in strict numerical order.

But since you'll have to memorize all the channel numbers anyway, that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Please, someone - tell me I'm missing something here.

I wonder if there's a way to back out to the Spring 2020 version of the software, and only keep the map update.

I wonder what functionality they'll remove in the next update.

electriceddy likes this.
  18. I don't think I really need that kind of update, see you in the next version:rolleyes:

Toolworker likes this.
  19. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Where did they get the idea that the nixie tube display was a good idea?

20. I don't suppose that an earlier version of the software can be installed over the updated one?

In any event, if someone has an earlier download, hang onto it. I downloaded the latest one over the previous download. :(

electriceddy likes this.
  21. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I always (well the 1 time so far) copy the contents of each update on the USB drive to a folder on my Laptop, just in case. Before reformatting the drive.

22. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

PS - Toolworker, in your profile you note that your 12V Batt keeps dying. Have you or the shop figured out WHY? I have yet to experience that, knock on wood. I have the same car as you. The ULT.

23. Does anyone know what the update looks like on the 7" system? Is it only the 10.25" systems that have been honored by these "improvements"?

Short answer: No. If you've had your Kona EV for most of a year, you likely don't have the problem. But many Hyundai EV owners do. There are multiple threads on it; let's not make this into another one. ;)

Tim94549 likes this.