2019 or 2020?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Clamps, Jun 10, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. If you were to buy a new Kona Ultimate and the 2019 was $2000 less than the 2020 which would you choose?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Well, you are in Massachusetts - if it were me, I would probably pick the 2020 as it comes with the battery warmer. You might not need it often, but if you ever try DCFC in he winter, you might come to appreciate it. Then again, if you only do level 2 charging, you would never notice the difference.

Clamps likes this.
  4. I believe the 2019 came with a lifetime battery replacement warranty is the States, may want to check on that as well.

Clamps likes this.
  5. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

That warranty only applies to the original owner, so, for someone who wants to keep the car for a long time, this warranty would be a good reason to go for the 2019. For someone who plans on keeping the car for less than 100k miles, the 2020 is likely the better choice..

6. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

I think the screen size changed in the 2020 MY as well. 10.25" instead of 8" ... Personally, I like the larger screen. But the life-time Warranty was a great feature of the 2019 .. too bad we lost that with MY 2020.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

The screen size change only applied to the ULTIMATE version.. The 2020 SEL and Limited still have the 7 inch screen..

9. I think you're right. It such a crappy move by Hyundai, GM and Tesla both have larger screens in all their models. I doubt it's as much about cost as it is about upselling.

10. Its interesting in when I was looking at purchasing I thought that by not getting the bigger screen it was going to be a future regret. On the Canadian models its one of the more appreciable differences between the preferred and ultimate models. Now having lived with the 7 inch screen and comparing it with the 10.25 inch screen I can say yes the bigger screen is much more prettier but ultimately not anymore functional due to the way they have set up their split screen and android auto's formatting. In the end I am happier to have saved the cash. Of course your mileage may vary :)

FloridaSun likes this.
  11. I think you're right, in the end from a user standpoint I would probably be fine. It's funny, we have a 2015 Audi with a 6 or 7 inch screen and when we bought it I thought, wow, that's slick. Still, I like the Ultimate not only for the screen but for the battery management and the heated/cooled seats and I think it has a better sound system which is something I like. I'm sure there are other upgrades but I'm not certain of all of them.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Yes you have some unique differences in the US with your models. For me comparing all the options the most significant deciding one was the adaptive cruise control and the active lane assist. I use those features all the time, even in urban driving. Fortunately in Canada they are available on the lower preferred trim.

14. FloridaSun

For me, the only thing that I would like from the Ultimate version is the Adaptive Cruise Control. The bigger display is nice but not a reason for me to drop thousands more on a car..

15. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I use that a lot myself - it was one of the reasons I went with this trim. The smaller screen size on the 2019 doesn't really bug me - the HUD sort of makes up for it, I think...

16. I was surprised how much I liked the HUD. It's more impressive in real life than any video portrays.

17. I first thought the HUD was a gimmick. But I really appreciate it now, as it not only shows pertinent info relevant to that point in time, but also greatly increases your situational awareness showing traffic coming up beside you. I think it is a good safety device. This is something that the Tesla M3 could use, with that big monitor being out of your line of sight.