2018 Clarity Electric to 2021 Clarity Fuel Cell ???

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by GHTech, Feb 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GHTech

GHTech Member

Greetings,

I just returned my 2018 Clarity Electric and am considering what the replacement is going to be. I am not in too much of a hurry, and need it by the end of May. One of the options is the 2021 Clarity Fuel Cell lease due to the CVRP. Would there be a noticeable difference between the 2018 that I am used to, and the 2021?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

GHTech

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Well, the Fuel Cell will have more than the 80-odd miles of range available with the EV, but you’ll only be able to get hydrogen at a hydrogen filling station. Do you know the location of the nearest station?

My understanding from our Mirai owning friends, is that not all stations are the same. Only the high pressure ones can completely fill the tank. The low pressure ones will provide roughly a half full tank.

Choose wisely.

sabasc likes this.
  4. GHTech

GHTech Member

Hi Landshark,

I should have been more detailed. I have 2 stations about 10 - 15 minutes away. My distance that I travel is pretty short, and therefore the Clarity Electric worked fine. I expected to fill up once or on a rare occasion twice a month. I am more concern about the "tech" inside the car. Would be the same as the 2018, or were there any improvements, additions, etc.

Thanks!

sabasc likes this.
  5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I believe the Fuel Cell Claritys are deluxe with a head-up display and a better audio system than any other Clarity. The big question is how much free hydrogen Honda provides with a used Clarity Fuel Cell. Hydrogen, the most plentiful element in the universe is very, very expensive in pressurized form, so you don't want to pay for it yourself. Sadly, 96% of commercial hydrogen is extracted from fossil natural gas, oil or coal.

IslandGuy and sabasc like this.
  6. GHTech

GHTech Member

I believe these are new leases. I have a dealer close-by that has 10 of the 2021's sitting on their lot. I plan only to lease it. Didn't realize that you can buy it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

No, the Clarity Plug-In Hybrid was the only Clarity Honda would sell (although I believe there was one wrecked and salvaged Electric that fell through the cracks). I mistakenly assumed a 2021 car was available because someone dropped their lease early. It never occurred to me that supply finally caught up with demand after so many years of people waiting in line for the Clarity Fuel Cell.

How much hydrogen comes with a new Clarity Fuel Cell lease these days?

9. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

You can't buy it, only lease. Just like your Clarity Electric.

The lease includes $15,000 in fuel credit for three years, so you won't be paying for fuel during your lease. Good thing too since hydrogen is nearly $100 per fill up.

Also you get black wheel covers which is kind of cool.

sabasc and insightman like this.
  10. It depends on how many miles the car is driven. Expect to get ~15K miles for the $5,000 per year allowance. My Mirai owning friend exceeded his fuel allowance. Fortunately his mother leased a Mirai and she drives fewer miles, so he has been using her allowance.

Many owners may find it difficult to drive more than ~15K miles per year, as finding hydrogen fuel outside of CA isn’t easy. Toyota will actually provide an ICE vehicle for owners who plan to travel outside of the hydrogen umbrella.

11. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

Correct but the OP gave the impression that they will not be driving a lot of miles with the FCEV. If that's the case they will likely not have to pay for fuel.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sometimes thing change.

14. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

That's true, my comment was based on their estimation of typically filling up once a month. The stability of that situation only the OP knows. I'm guessing that it's not their only vehicle, but still a life change that would require them to quadruple their FCEV miles could potentially cause them to use up their fuel credit prior to lease end.

But probably a bigger concern would be moving from their current location, where they might wind up out of convenient or even practical range of fueling stations. Even worse of course would be moving out of state. I'm not sure how easy it is to get out of a FCEV lease since you can't do a normal lease buyout since these cars are not for sale. Not that a buyout would be a good idea anyway, besides now having to pay for fuel yourself, you would for sure not want to own it beyond the 100,000 mile fuel cell warranty. I couldn't find a price on the fuel cell stack, but just the PCU (Power Control Unit) alone has a list price of $19,461. Someone did report having their fuel cell stack replaced under warranty, the invoice they saw for the repair was $58,000 although it did not have the breakdown of parts and labor.

sabasc likes this.
  15. GHTech

GHTech Member

Greetings,

Lots of good comments. Even though the Clarity Electric had a 20,000 mile per year allowance, I hit only 20,000 for the 3 years. I work really close by (a couple of miles from home), and the 20,000 was with going to work everyday during the pandemic. We have a Chrysler Pacific Hybrid as the vehicle for long distance. The Clarity Electric had a clause that if you moved out of state, you can hand the car in. I am assuming that the Fuel cell has a similar clause.

The reason that I am even considering a fuel cell is that I have finished my allocation of the CVRP (2016 Ford Focus Electric and the 2018 Clarity Electric), and my wife used hers for the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. The limitation does not apply to any fuel cell vehicle, and there is only 3 candidates. Toyota Mirai, Hyundai Nexo and Clarity Fuel-Cell. Would qualify for $7K off towards a lease or a finance.

Regards,

GHTech

sabasc likes this.
  16. Looks like it’s now $4500. Any BEV would suit your needs. You’d never have to go to a fuel cell station. If the difference in the CVRP is only $2500 between a FCV and a BEV, you may be able to lease a BEV at a lower cost, or buy it, and not have to shop for a car every 3 years.

I use very little of the “tech” available, but for those who do, it is frequently the feature that generates the most complaints. You may find tech that is more suitable to you in another brand. There’s certainly less to go wrong with a BEV, and the FCV may actually be the most environmentally unfriendly vehicle on the road.

C1D31262-AFA6-48FA-A6A1-78D97A3C0940.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    sabasc likes this.
  17. GHTech

GHTech Member

Hi Landshark,

I agree that BEV is better for me as I have solar at home, that I installed expecting at least 1 vehicle to be BEV. Keen on the EV6 or the Ioniq 5. Just that the over asking is ridiculous. My fall back option is the Niro EV. Just keeping all options open.

Regards,

GHTech

18. TNGJ

TNGJ New Member

dont take it, go with EV of other brand or PHEV Clarity. You will spend most of the time fighting with hydrogen fuel tank errors in service center

19. KlnAir4U

KlnAir4U New Member

ANY Hydrogen fueled car would be absolutely the very LAST car that I would ever consider. Too complicated ... too messy ... too expensive ... too limiting ... too much to go wrong. Probably another 100 draw backs ... like, too potentially dangerous ... too few Hydrogen filling stations. No, thanks, I'll stay with my Tesla and the phenominally extensive SuperCharging network over the travelled North American continent and OTA software updates as well as being the safest car on the planet, and another 100 reasons to enjoy driving better a BEV.

20. Do you have any more Kool-Aid?

The Model 3 made the #21 spot on US News and World Reports list.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    David Towle likes this.
  21. KlnAir4U

KlnAir4U New Member

If you really want to hang your hat on this College Reporting site, OK.

However, according to <www.ElectrichybridvehicleTechnology.com/features/the-top-10-fastest-selling-electric-cars-of-all-time.html > "The top 10 fastest-selling electric cars of all time", "Tesla is leading the way with the fastest-selling EV. The Model 3 is the world's all-time best selling electric car with 645,000 units sold since 2020. Oct 7, 2021" By March 2020, Tesla had sold their Millionth Electric Car!

22. Uhhh, didn’t you claim it was the safest car on the planet? Where was mention made of it being the fastest selling EV? That isn’t really a surprising statistic.

Of course, Ford, GM and Dodge/Ram each sell nearly 1 million half ton trucks every year.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  23. Frankwell

Frankwell Active Member

Most Clarity owners find it to be a very comfortable car, large and roomy, quiet, and with a pretty good collection of convenience features. Unusually nice for a compliance car which Honda heavily subsidized. Not everyone does a lot of lengthy driving, or those that do often have more than one car and their Clarity is more of a daily driver. The Clarity Electric had an almost laughable range of under 100 miles, but people who used it as an around town car found it to be a great car for the money at $199 per month and a low down payment (Clarity Electric and Fuel Cell are lease only). The hydrogen version is a similar situation for those who happen to live or work near hydrogen stations. At $379 a month it's not as inexpensive as the electric was to lease, but it comes with a fuel credit that for many people will completely cover all of their fuel costs for the duration of the three year lease. And it has a much greater range than the Clarity Electric, although again people who lease the FCEV generally will not be doing long trips in it, certainly not outside of California.

The PHEV is the only Clarity that could be purchased. With federal tax credit, state tax credits, Honda factory incentives, and dealers often tossing in another grand or two in discounts, it was not uncommon for the total price for a top of the line Clarity Touring PHEV to come in well under $25,000.

Is Tesla nicer? I would certainly hope so for double the price for an entry level Tesla.

Nice having choices isn't it?

Silver Surfer and insightman like this.