2018 battery swapped for a 2013.... :(

Discussion in 'General' started by Kurt Brown, Apr 26, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kurt Brown

Kurt Brown New Member

Just bought a 2018 Leaf but is has a 2013 battery in it. Is that legal?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ITown

ITown Active Member

Probably? How did that happen without you realizing it? The 2018 leaf has a 140 mile range and the 2013 one has an 80 mile range.

4. Kurt Brown

Kurt Brown New Member

I bought it out of an salvage auction yard and the battery was dead. After purchasing a charger and charging to capacity I realized there was an issue with the only 80 mile range. I got set up with " Leaf Spy" and this confirmed my suspicions. Only a 24KWH battery not the 40KWH that is supposed to be in it. So....all Leaf batteries up thru 2018 are interchangeable. Seemingly EV cars of Portland, Or does this as a business. Just wish they wouldn't put junk batteries in newer cars and then sell them at an auction to unknowing folks like my self. I now have a $12K paperclip unless I want to spend another $8K and buy the battery back from them. Little pissed!

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

Yip I'd be pissed to. How was it advertised? But I suspect it's a case of buyer beware.

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Since Nissan Leaf uses passive air cooling for batteries, it's even worse for the Gen1 LMO battery degradation compared to 2018 Gen2 NCM. I would be extremely pissed!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

A former Chevette owner, I hate to suggest a Bolt.

Bob Wilson