$200 gift card

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Jamas, Apr 12, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Has anyone in the US requested / received their $200 gift card yet for the "inconvenience" of reducing the charge limit? Curious if the dealers are prepared for or if I'll need to explain it to them.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I spoke with my dealer's service department and they knew nothing about the $200 gift card. While I have reduced my charge limits to 80% I do not intend to bring the car to the dealer so they can verify the setting. I was told that the dealer was told by Hyundai to take lots of pictures to verify the settings. Perhaps I will change my mind if given an incentive!

4. I went to the dealer and they knew nothing of the program. Didn't know about it, had to look it up. Told me to come back. Not great CS.

5. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

When I took the car in, the dealer said they would send an email in up to 10 days which will give me a link to claim the $200.

6. I posted this in another thread but this one seems more appropriate. For Canadian Kona owners it is $250 loonies and it takes an extra 10 business days(20 total) to process for some reason.

Dear Hyundai Owner: This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. This is to inform you that your vehicle may contain a defect that could affect the safety of a person. Hyundai has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle, with the VIN shown above. Hyundai is conducting a safety recall in Canada to address a potential condition with the electric vehicle (“EV”) lithium-ion (“Li-ion’) battery that could result in a fire in certain model year 2019 – 2020 Kona EV, and 2020 Ioniq EV vehicles. The purpose of this letter is to explain what the recall is about and to keep you informed of Hyundai’s recall implementation plan. We are currently making preparations to implement the safety recall remedy which when available, will be performed at no cost to you. We will send you another notification when the remedy is available. We request that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice forward a copy to the lessee within 10 working days, as required by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act. What is the problem? The subject vehicles are equipped with battery cells manufactured in the LG Energy Solutions China (Nanjing) plant in which the Anode (Negative) tab can be folded. A folded Anode tab in the battery cell could allow the Lithium plating on the Anode tab to contact the Cathode resulting in an electrical short. An electrical short internally within battery cell(s) increases the risk of a vehicle fire while parked, charging and/or driving. What should you do in the interim? We appreciate your patience. Hyundai is currently making preparations to implement the recall remedy. You will receive a second notification letter when the remedy is available. The Battery System Assembly will be inspected, and replaced - if necessary. If the Malfunction Indicator Light is illuminated in your vehicle, you should seek service at your Hyundai dealer as soon as possible. For updated information regarding this recall, please visit: https://R0183info.ca/ In the meantime, owners are recommended to perform the following: • Adjust or confirm your vehicle’s ‘Max charge %’ level to 80%. This can be done manually at home using the infotainment system with these steps: o Turn the vehicle ignition ON without starting the engine. o Depending on radio, select: EV on display screen (7 in.) or battery display (10.25 in.) o Select Energy Information. o Select DC Charger. o Press the Minus (-) Sign until the charger percentage reaches 80%. o Select OK when complete. o Perform the same steps once more for the AC Charger. o Both the DC and AC charge percentage will now be set and displayed at 80%. • We strongly recommend you also visit your dealership to either verify or adjust the ‘Max battery %’ level to ensure it has been adjusted to 80%. Please contact the dealership to request service under Service Campaign 10D059 (C0415). This service will be provided to you AT NO CHARGE. Once Hyundai verifies your visit to the dealership you will be entitled to a $250 gift card for your attention to this matter. You will need to provide the dealer with a valid email address and allow 20 business days for processing. • Until the ‘Max charge %’ level has been set to 80%, park and charge your vehicle outside and away from structures. Please note that your vehicle’s charging capacity will be restored to the original factory settings after the recall remedy is implemented. For a list of Electric Certified Hyundai dealers, please visit www.hyundaicanada.com. What if you have other questions? If you require further assistance, we recommend that you contact the Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. Customer Relations Department online at www.hyundaicanada.com/en/about/helpcentre or at the following toll-free telephone number: 1-888-216-2626 (French or English). Thank you for your attention to this important safety matter. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Hyundai Auto Canada Corp.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

So what I get from this notice is their quote "You will receive a second notification letter when the remedy is available. The Battery System Assembly will be inspected, and replaced - if necessary. " Reading that does that mean only faulty batteries will be replaced. OR??? Is this a valid point...

9. Yeah it a very weird get out of jail statement. I saw that too. I had a few minutes on my coffee break today and as my dealer is literally 10 minutes away I presented my service advisor with this recall notice. He wanted me to leave to car so they could reflash the BMS to a permanent software decrease of 80% SOC . I said to him "Umm, I don't think". This gave me a chance to talk with the service manager. He stated that they literally just got updated from Hyundai about this the other day. As I already had my settings on 80% SOC charge limit via the infotainment he just needed to eyeball that and verified my mileage for the $250 claim that gets processed through their business office after they charge Hyundai for the C0415 service campaign completion. The campaign literally took a minute.

We got to chatting. The recall info is so new in Canada that I suspect I may have been one of the first to ask about this campaign in my province. Apparently my car is 1 of only 20 Kona EVs affected by this recall in my province. My dealer has already ordered the special equipment needed for the battery swap. Despite the highlighted "if necessary" statement his impression was everyone on recall list gets a battery ordered. He assured me I will get a loaner for the swap. No idea on timeline but we both suspect if could be several months.

KiwiME likes this.
  10. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

I phoned my dealer here in Victoria they know about the recall but that's it. No real notice etc. So like I said we just have to wait which as expressed could be months. AS far as "if Necessary" who knows what that means will they check for folds in the battery. To me maybe a long process. I can wait no problems here.

11. Well the previous recall already required "inspection" by the dealer which to my best knowledge involved visualizing if the battery wasn't currently on fire, lol. The dealer service network is in no way set up to crack open a traction battery and verify if individual pouch cell anode tabs are damaged. I am fairly certain the entire process is going to be remove old battery, install new one, replace coolant, possibly do software update, send old battery back to mothership or regional recycler and then pat self on back for job well done:)

electriceddy, Wildeyed and KiwiME like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

good to know thanks for that..

14. I suspect dealers will need to be well-skilled in replacing battery packs to make any money off Hyundai. There are probably only 10 Kona EVs in my region and one or both dealers will have to buy the Bosch lift equipment at our normally inflated prices. Plus it may tie up two service bays for the duration of repairs.

We're also getting the same wishy-washy blurb as if the process was an archeological dig rather than a one-click sorting of VINs by build date:

Clamps, apu and electriceddy like this.
  15. Grego

Grego Member

So I was at my dealer 3weeks ago for service and a recall already and then today(14th April) got a call from dealer pls come and we will give you 250$ CAD my dealer is in Richmond BC. I told them I’ll get back and book online as I need to figure out which day works best and they were like it’s literally 30-45min. Come during lunch LOL....maybe I should go instead of sending the wife as that gift card will evaporate...

apu and XtsKonaTrooper like this.
  16. I'm debating whether to go in for the gift card. My nearest dealer is a full hour drive away, so at least 2 hours out of my work day plus the time it takes to verify. And if there's a chance they will lock in the 80% max charge, no thanks. For 95% of my driving the 80% limit is fine, but I'd like the option to go higher on the rare occasion I need it. Fortunately we're into warmer weather, so the range hit is not as bad as it would be in the winter.

Tracy likes this.
  17. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Did you get the recall yet find out from your dealer if the gift card is available first.

18. I was promised to get the gift card and actually been told that they submitted the request to Hyundai Corporate USA. Also additional info on the software updates:

19. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

I received the following Email from Hyundai
    [​IMG]
    LITHIUM-ION BATTERY RECALL

YOUR VEHICLE IS AFFECTED.

Your vehicle is affected by the Lithium-ion Battery recall. The remedy is not yet available. We are currently making preparations to implement the Recall.

Customers will be mailed notification letters when the remedy is available. In the meantime, owners are recommended to perform the following:

• Adjust or confirm your vehicle’s ‘Max. % Charge’ level to 80%. This can be done manually at home using the infotainment system with these steps:
      • Turn the vehicle ignition ON without starting the engine.
      • Depending on radio select: EV on display screen (7 in) or battery display (10.25 in)
      • Select Energy Information.
      • Select DC Charger.
      • Press the Minus (-) Sign until the charger percentage reaches 80%.
      • Select OK when complete.
      • Perform the same steps once more for the AC Charger.
      • Both the DC and AC charge percentage will now be set and displayed at 80%.
      • See instructional video www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk-FrxW5bRM
    • If your vehicle is currently subscribed to Bluelink, Hyundai will attempt to remotely set your ‘Max. % Charge’ to 80% within the next week. You can verify the setting following the steps above.
    • You must go to the dealership to verify or adjust ‘Max. % Charge’ level reduced to 80%. Once verified at the dealership you will receive a $200 gift card due to the inconvenience of reduction of range. Please provide the dealer with a valid email address and allow 10 business days for processing.
    • If you cannot adjust or go to the dealership to achieve ‘Max. % Charge’ level to 80%, park and charge your vehicle outside and/or away from structures until the ‘Max. % Charge’ level has been reduced to 80%.

If the Malfunction Indicator Light is illuminated in your vehicle, you should seek service at your Hyundai dealer as soon as possible.

Please check back for updates or refer to this site's FAQ for more information.

Did you Notice the Most Important Words in this Email from Hyundai: The remedy is not yet available

So what does this mean? In my humble opinion it could mean you will be waiting for an undetermined amount of time to get your new battery from Hyundai. How much time? In my previous posts I guesstimated as long as one to two years which was based on my current experience with Hyundai of waiting 5 months (so far) for them to replace my Radio Infotainment Head Unit. That's Right, it is now Five Months. Is my opinion of the time to get the new battery Biased against Hyundai? You Bet it Is! With hundreds of thousands of Employees including electronic engineers and software engineers including the Hyundai Infinity Division that made the Head Unit, why is it that Hyundai can't "determine the model number of the Head Unit they removed from my car and locate one to install in my car"? If you were as frustrated about their lack of caring and failure to find my Radio Head unit for five months (so far) you would probably be thinking a year or two to get your new battery installed, like I am.

So, what should you do?
    1. Hyundai asked you to turn your battery charging limit to 80% and if you don't do it, they will do it remotely through the cars Blue Link System. This is exactly what they did to me.
    2. Can you reset it to 100% using the cars EV Settings? Yes. Should you is the bigger question.
    3. What could be the ramifications of your resetting the system back to 100%?
    4. If your car and or house or other structure(s) were destroyed by the fire
    (a) Hyundai could deny all liability for your car meaning you own the burned out hulk and if not paid for you still owe the bank or Hyundai Finance the remainder of your loan.
    (b) Your Auto Insurance Company could also deny your claim on the basis that you failed to follow the safety instructions to set your battery at the 80% level.
    (c) Hyunda's denial of liability could also include the damage or destruction of your home and any other structures, such as your friends house where the car was parked when the fire occurred.
    (d) Your homeowners insurance could also deny coverage for the damage to your home due to your gross negligence in failing to leave the battery set at the 80% level.
    (e) What if innocent people such as passengers were burned or even died because you reset the battery to 100%? I don't even want to go there, but it is a possibility and something to consider.
    5. Should you accept the $200 Mastercard Hyundai is offering for your "Inconvenience"? Two Hundred Dollars a Month should be the amount they should be offering us, not $200 for who knows how long? If my prediction of One Year is correct $200 ÷ 12 = $16.66 per month. Two years would be $8.33 per month for your Inconvenience. My having to stop and recharge for an hour or two (assuming I can find a charger and there aren't 25 people in line ahead of me) on the way from Los Angeles to Las Vegas is worth a lot more than $200.
    6. Could it really take a year? Batteries rely on Lithium and Rare Earth, both in short supply and both controlled by China. The last I heard Hyundai was a Korean Company, not Chinese.
    7. One last thought. Is Hyundai really giving you the $200 Mastercard for "your inconvenience" or is it for "your agreement that the time to replace the battery is unknown at this time and due to circumstances beyond the control of Hyundai, who must rely on 3rd Parties, including LG Energy Solutions China (Nanjing) the original manufacturer of the battery to supply the replacement batteries, Hyundai cannot be held liable for any damages above the $200 Mastercard you have agreed to accept".

For the Record My Battery is Set at 80% where Hyundai Set it to and will remain at 80% and Hyundai can keep their $200 Mastercard.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  20. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

The 200 bux is a joke. The vehicles depreciation has nose dived.
    Tired of the ongoing lockdowns and now I'm restricted with the range of my vehicle.
    If I can swindle a deal for an Ioniq 5, I'll be getting rid of the Kovid Kona But highly unlikely that Hyundai will offer a good trade in value anyways. I already seen that in action, when I traded my Ioniq plus. Tesla was almost gonna give me the same trade value too and generally Tesla doesn't give trade in values, so imo Hyundai was basing my value just like Tesla.

21. BaylorBob

BaylorBob Active Member

Trooper, I see that you live in Canada. Canada does not have a Lemon Law Provision (keep reading I have found help for you which I will list at the end) but here in California where I live, Lemon Laws were Pioneered with all 50 States now having a New Car Lemon Law. In California if the Dealer cannot fix your car within a reasonable amount of time The Manufacturer (not the Dealer) must buy your car back. Basically this means returning your down payment and all the payments you have made on your Purchase or Lease up until that time plus they pay your attorney's fees. They are only allowed to offset the buy-back amount by a fee for the number of miles you have driven the car up until the time they could not repair it. You can still be driving it, as I am doing, which is 5 months beyond the time they have not been able to repair the car. The car does not have to be un-driveable or left with the dealer. Trooper I googled it for you and found this article: Canada has a Lemon Law Program That You Didn’t Know Existed. Here is the website link: https://www.wheels.ca/news/canadas-has-a-lemon-law-program-that-you-didnt-know-existed/. Try this route before losing a lot of money trying to trade your car to a dealer. Good Luck

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  22. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Thanks fir the tip, I'll read it in a bit.
    It's funny you mentioned the California lemon law. Many years ago I worked for a 3rd party call center for Nissan. I worked in the dispute resolution dept and they had major issues with the CVT transmission and the ppl in California especially Glendale were cleaning up with buybacks. If memory serves me, if they visited the dealer 3 times, they basically qualified. It got so bad , Nissan mechanics would leave hidden marks on components cuz it got abused so bad and Glendale was quite famous for it.
    Not to be a further pessimistic, Canada's consumer laws suck, cuz all the politicians are in the bed with the big Corporations and the benefit of doubt goes to them

23. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

Yeah $200 is a joke these days.

Hyundai corporate is so slow in whatever they are doing, you will probably not see the check for at least a few months.