150K miles and still over 50% on original brakes

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by StickWare, Apr 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

I’m now at 153K with my Clarity. I drive it for Lyft , so I drive a lot

Here are my tips to conserve your brakes. Mine are still over 50% left.

most of you probably use the paddles for regenerative braking. I have found a much better and quicker way to slow car down from high speeds (exiting a freeway)

I have cruise set. When approaching the ramp, I hit down to lower cruise speed to 25. This slows the car pretty good. Then I apply break and use regenerative braking once my car is around 35mph.

I do love my Clariry but I realized the money for Lyft is much better for Luxury and Black vehicles. Thus I just purchased a BMW 530e (which is a plug in hybrid)

so I’ll be using that for Lyft. Still keeping my Clarity though.

Attached Files:

Al-clarity, Jc4dint and leehinde like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Boston_Pilot

Boston_Pilot Active Member

You’re just trading equity in your vehicles for peanuts for Lyft.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2021
  4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Why would you think the deceleration in cruise is not using the physical brakes? It hits the exact same computer method you pushing the brake pedal does.

5. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

i make much more than “peanuts”.

neal adkins and turtleturtle like this.
  6. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

uhh no. The braking is done by the motor. Not the physical brake pads. If it were, then why are my brakes so good?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Boston_Pilot

Rideshare couldn’t exist without people thinking peanuts is actual money. And again, you’re just trading the vehicles equity for those peanuts.

9. Olimpia

Olimpia Member

Impressive mileage. Any comments on battery degradation?

10. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

I’m bad at math? I’m a math teacher. You are using statistics of the whole. Not my individual case. I’ll make 130K-170K next year. I get the most out of bonuses and offers. Stop
    Pretending like you know everything. You don’t.

ICanBreakIt and turtleturtle like this.
  11. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

It’s gone down for sure. Only like 28 miles now

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hedgefundie

Hedgefundie Member

He gets to deduct the depreciation on his taxes

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

14. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

@Boston_Pilot , I don't normally take issue here, but you are wrong on this one. Who knows why people do what they choose to do in life? Bottom line, it's their choice, not needing any judgement from you. Generally I have high respect for teachers (especially math), so I'd appreciate it if you backed it down a bit. Feel free to cast some venom my way if you wish. I really don't care one way or the other. Maybe the next time you need an Uber or Lyft, you can reflect on your hypocrisy.

15. Boston_Pilot

Cool story. I’ve never taken rideshare in my life. I wouldn’t support any of them. I’m not wrong, btw, Uber and Lyft BOTH need a certain person to drive for them. That person would be one that HAS to. I really don’t care whether you, or anyone else, disagrees. My disdain isn’t at the person as much as the corporations, who are able to do what they do, because of the people who work with them. The drivers are just the fuel for the fire. Every circus needs monkeys.

16. Boston_Pilot

Lol, so?

17. Hedgefundie

Hedgefundie Member

So the government has basically paid for his vehicle for business use, and then he still gets to use what’s left of it for personal use. Basically a free personal car for as long as it lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

18. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

Yikes!

Do you plug in before you start your rides for the day, or only run in HV?

19. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

I plug in whenever at home. I’m in HV most of the time obviously.

20. Agzand

Agzand Active Member

Do not believe stories that are pushed by politicians, special interest groups and unions. Those are protecting their own interest and have little sympathy for an average ride share driver. Nobody is chained to the driver seat in a Lyft or Uber. People are doing it at their own will.

StickWare likes this.
  21. Hi everyone. I've done some editing and deleting of some of the posts in this tread. A rare occurrence in this sub-forum.
    The Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid owners here have been a terrific group with loads of helpful posts. Like many groups organized around vehicle ownership, we come from a diverse set of backgrounds and we come here with our stories. I would ask that people be respectful of others. Public judging someone based on what they do for a living is definitely not acceptable.

If someone is rude, please feel feel to drop me a message in my inbox. I do have to apologize for being a bit late to the scene here -- I've been on a 400-mile road trip to take care of a family member's personal business.

I do appreciate you starting this thread, @StickWare. It's a great bit of info that others might be able to gain value from.

I'd also say that I understand the argument against driving for rideshare companies. I have conflicting feelings about it myself. My dad was a taxi driver, who co-founded a company back in the 70's that's still around today. My sister now drives for Lyft and Uber in addition to her main gig in advertising, because it's something that she really enjoys doing.

But really, the topic of the thread is about braking strategies. If OP wants to discuss the ridesharing angle, that's fine. I'm sure many may be curious -- I certainly am. Just please be respectful.
    Thanks.

22. Mrfixit posted a chart that shows how regenerative braking is used when the brake pedal is applied. I look forward to more data on regen. My take on this is that the paddles, the cruise control method or just applying the brakes, all use regenerative braking to a certain degree. Dropping the cruise setting is probably similar to when the ACC slows the car. Regen.

I don’t believe we’ll be going through brake pads on this car, even if we only use the brake pedal. It will be some time until the rest of us reach 150K miles. When we do, I suspect that we’ll all have ~50% remaining on the pads.

As far as your method being “better and quicker”, it will provide more braking force than the paddles, but probably not as much force as using the brake pedal. It is easy to forget that the brake pedal can provide maximum regen. It isn’t necessarily using the friction brakes to create that slowing sensation. Then we’ll have to decide if it is better or quicker to press buttons or the pedal.

Now I may have to un-ignore a few team member to see what all the hubbub is about Lyft drivers. Nah.

23. StickWare

StickWare Active Member

Where is this chart ?