144 mile range

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Matt Shumaker, Jun 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Matt Shumaker

Matt Shumaker Active Member

Hey Everyone!

We just got back from a 100 mile drive in our car (with AC on) and ended up with 44 miles range left.

I am shooting a video about it.

Matt

Toi, F14Scott, SmartElectric and 2 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Nice! This car seems to do really well on road trips. On Friday I took mine 80 miles over a mountain pass, at 65-75mph with the AC on and 1200ft of elevation gain to the destination, and only used 64% of the battery. I was really impressed.

F14Scott and SmartElectric like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The range-left read-out is likely conservative to prevent people from stranding themselves. Has your experience given you a feel for how far you could really go when the car says the battery has 44 miles of range left? The guy who made this video drove 177 miles (not on the expressway) before stopping to charge.

5. Matt Shumaker

Yes. I would say 170 miles is definitely doable without expressway driving and without AC or heat.

insightman likes this.
  6. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

While you're waiting for @Matt Shumaker to post that video you can watch the other MINI Cooper SE videos (and many Tesla videos) he's posted on his Tech Forum YouTube channel.

9. ascot73

ascot73 New Member

ciao, i just bought a brand new mini se and when is fully charged the odometer indicate 166km (103 miles).Is that correct according to your experience? thanks a lot, best regards from a superhot Italy.
    Alberto

10. Matt Shumaker

The expected range shown will change as you drive the car and it learns your driving habits.

insightman likes this.
  11. insightman

OTOH, we don't know how far @ascot73 has driven. Perhaps this MINI Electric has learned it's new owner's driving habits: frequent and extensive ankle flexing has been observed, leading to this appropriate range guesstimate.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Seems like it resets overnight or something. In my experience it appears to show the range based on your recent driving while charging but then changes back to some conservative temperature-based estimate at some point after it sits for a while.

F14Scott likes this.
  14. HenryCooper

HenryCooper New Member

I seem to be getting about 130 per charge, but the range always says I only have 96 miles.

Any thoughts?

15. Matt Shumaker

Are you in the UK?

16. HenryCooper

HenryCooper New Member

Yes

17. Matt Shumaker

I believe the UK cars have different software. I have heard the cars in the US read higher miles. However, the actual driving range is the same for either car.

insightman likes this.
  18. HenryCooper

HenryCooper New Member

Hi Matt, so does your range indicator give a good representation of what you will actually get from charge?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

19. Matt Shumaker

No. We always get more range than indicated.

MichaelC and HenryCooper like this.
  20. HenryCooper

HenryCooper New Member

We seem to be getting much more than the range indicates. Often around 140+ which I am very happy about.

Domenick, Toi, F14Scott and 2 others like this.
  21. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Just put over 100 miles on today, mix of freeway and city streets. The first 25 miles or so used up about 10 miles of predicted range, so I think the efficiency is fantastic. I did a 35-minute stop and got Level 2 charging during the trip, so I added 3.39 kWH (11 miles) charge in the middle of my trip.

Got back home with 30% (about 30 miles) left, got 4.3 mi/kWh and 31.1 mi/kWh recuperation on my final 53 miles.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Toi, insightman, idrw and 1 other person like this.
  22. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Finished my first full commute starting with 100% charge – 81 miles round trip. Mostly freeway (using cruise control), with air conditioning. In green mode with high regenerative braking. Used 55% battery, much better than I was expecting. I won't have to worry about range anxiety.

23. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

This last weekend I took my SE on a 472-mile round-trip journey and charged with Electrify America 3 times in each direction. Thankfully I realized before the trip that using their app is way more reliable than trying to deal with their POS credit card readers. In total, it was about 9 hours of driving and 2 hours of charging. Assuming the SE's usable battery capacity to 0% is 30kWh, my consumption was about 3.7mi/kWh. This wasn't as good as my lifetime consumption which is still at 4.2mi/kWh, but the majority of the trip was at 70-80mph with the AC on.

It'll be interesting to see how the range does in the winter. In my Spark the estimated range dropped 30% from the summer high to the depths of winter. I don't imagine the range will be impacted as much in the Mini due to the heat pump, but I imagine freeway driving will still get a lot less efficient due to the denser air and colder tires.

MichaelC, Toi and SmartElectric like this.