110v out of my ID-4

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Todd Hummel, Oct 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

I live in northern California, pg&e is our power supplier and is punishing us by turning our power off pretty frequently. We of course have a generator but I don't like running it the whole time every time the power goes out. My neice has a kona and it has a 110v output in it. Is there any way to safely get electricity out of my ID-4 to run my refrigerators? They pull 46w and 78w respectively so the load wouldn't be terribly large? Thank you T3

electriceddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Inverters have been added to match the Kona EV LDC fuse capacity of ~1300 W.
    If you can read the o/p label of the LV/charging component ( not sure what VW calls that) in the ID-4, you may be the first to apply. Look forward to a follow up.:)
    https://pmarks.net/konapower/

mho likes this.
  4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Those numbers are very low for a refrigerator running. Are you sure you measured those when the compressor was running? Even if you did, the startup current can be quite large for a compressor. It could spike momentarily to 1000W or more. Whatever you use to drive it, make sure it can handle that kind of current.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. Hubert Nueckel

Hubert Nueckel New Member

As far as I know, all VW EVs will support bi-directional charging starting with 2022 models. Not sure if 2021 models will be able to "upgrade". Then you can use your car to power the house. Only one charge box right now, and it's not available in the US yet: https://wallbox.com/en_us/quasar-dc-charger
    That's certainly an upgrade from our current level 2 charger that I consider.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  6. Todd Hummel

Todd Hummel New Member

Hey get off your gas, I know right, I used a wattmeter, I haven't yet used my fluke ammeter but I figures with simultaneous industry current it might hit 1000w so I'm planning for as high as 1200w weather its from my car or through a stand alone photovoltaic/battery system.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.