10k and notice miles degrading charge

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by midsail, Nov 7, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. midsail

midsail New Member

Greetings all, We have notice a degrading of miles when charging lately. My daughter drives 170 miles round trip (4 days a week) traveling between the university n home. Until lately when charging to 80%. We we're getting 200 miles per charge to 80%. Lately when charging to 80%, we are getting between 175 n 178 miles. That's a difference between 22 n 25 miles less. We recently complete a 100% charge which gave us 225 miles. When we first get the ID a 100% gave us 260 miles. Has anyone been experiencing this type of behavior?

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Raja Nathan

Raja Nathan New Member

Thanks for sharing. So far in the pro-s with 6800mi we are getting over their EPA. So no degrade so far, will update when I notice any changes.
    Question to you, is that range degrade happened during cold days.

4. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I think it is the weather

5. SolarTim

SolarTim New Member

Check your tire pressure.

HarryP likes this.
  6. midsail

midsail New Member

Thank you all. But I live in South Florida and during this time the weather always stay between the 80's and 90's in the days. The nights the temp doesn't drop below 75 degrees. All was good for the first 8K's that's when we started to notice the degradation started.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

charge it to 100 percent

see what happens

It is unlikely you are experiencing that level of degradation. It is more likely the actual use has changed
    I get crazy trying to figure out why my car varies, truth is changes in driving behavior and patterns matter

difference between 65 -75 mph is probably that much.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    HarryP, Paula Dyas and Domenick like this.
  9. JGIORD

JGIORD New Member

I only have approx 590 miles on mine, but I have been averaging about 125 miles per 80% charge. I do run the AC always. Very disappointing but it still serves its purpose for my uses. The range estimator on my vehicle sucks and is never accurate. I have literally lost 10-15 miles just by starting the car and turning it back off.

Dealer said there is nothing they can do.

Domenick likes this.
  10. Thanks for posting about this. I saw the title and assumed it would be temperature-related, but it seems it isn't.

I would tend to agree with @ENirogus that it's probably not battery degradation, but it's hard to say what, exactly, the issue is. The typical culprits are weather, more aggressive/fast driving, tire inflation/alignment, or different terrain.

Paula Dyas likes this.
  11. midsail

midsail New Member

Thank All for the feedback. I understand the driving part concerning speed, A/C, and weather. All these factors will affect the driving range losing miles to distance. What I don't understand or comprehand it the Charging aspect. I am under the impression that charging to 80% is going to be more or less the same milage every time. In other words it is gong to constant amount of miles of per charge. In my case, I am having a degradation of milage per charge. I started at 200 miles after every charge at 80% (June-Sept). Has of today charging to 80% per charge is only providing 175 to 178 miles. These are not driving miles. They are miles after a charge to 80%. The weather in South Florida in very mild or hot.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

The GOM learns from your driving.
    So, just for instance, if you drive all side roads for several weeks in the highest efficiency mode with regen on high
    Then you start driving all highways and switch to sport mode with no regen
    The GOM will show different results from charging to the same level.
    Because of course you will get very different miles in those two scenarios

14. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I think I would be charging to 100 percent for 170 mile round trip anyway. That seems way too close even with the higher range

15. Does GOM = VW's Installed Mileage/Energy "Guess-o-Meter" ???

Todd Hummel likes this.
  16. Sjhughes123

Sjhughes123 New Member

Another item often overlooked is the effect that tires have as they progress through their lifecycle. As tires wear down, less energy is lost due to the tire rolling thus improved vehicle efficiency. This occurs very slowly as the tire wears. It is my opinion that this was often mistaken as "engine break-in" in the past. Be prepared when you replace your worn tires, as you will likely notice a step change decreasing overall drivetrain efficiency due to going from a fully worn out tire to a new tire even with the same brand, size and type.

VeeDub'r likes this.
  17. papab

papab Member

You're saying the the estimate (GOM), is showing lower after the charge. What does the car tell you after the 175 mile drive? Has that changed also?

18. Maineac Bob

Maineac Bob New Member

We only have about 2K miles on our AWD Pro S, and I recently noticed a drop in the miles per charge. Then I checked the driving mode. At some point, while "playing" with the car, the mode was switched from Eco to Sport. Probably not your issue, but I offer it as something to check. It definitely improved miles per charge by changing back to eco.

midsail and ENirogus like this.

19. I have to ask if you are in a northern state where cold weather is now starting. The car learns your usage and in colder climates it has to heat both the battery and interior. Could this possibly be part of it. I've noticed the same thing with our EV in the last month.[/QUOTE]

20. We shouldn't forget about vehicle loading. Add extra weight and mileage definitely drops

21. John McGrath

John McGrath New Member

Are you suggesting the OP put on a few pounds?

22. Greenlineguy

Greenlineguy New Member

Your car remembers your driving habits if you drove conservatively you will retain your mileage in your climate! Once you do spirited driving your mileage will drop on your next full charge so you'll have to start driving conservatively again then your mileage will come back!

midsail likes this.
  23. midsail

midsail New Member

Greetings All
    Great feedbacks thanks, I will check the driving mode to see if by playing around the display screen we accidently switch driving modes. South Florida is have been experiencing 2 cold front back to back and the average temp is between 60 to 75 degreed lately. Don't think is a weather issue. I will check the driving mode and will along the finding to the group, again thank you all.