Is anyone else's Clarity a magnet for damage?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by blinkme323, May 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. blinkme323

blinkme323 Member

We just hit the one year mark in our Clarity PHEV and absolutely love the car. However, during that one year, both the front and rear bumpers were hit while the car was parked (two separate incidents) requiring that they both be repainted. We also had a child on a bike hit the side rocker panel, which also required replacement.

So on the bright side, no damage to any of the aluminum panels, but lots of heartache and time spent in the shop, which kind of has me souring on the car due to my OCD nature with cars. Anyone else in a similar boat or am I just being nuts? It's totally ok to call me the latter btw, as that's what my wife thinks :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

In a country filled with idiots who are somehow offended by efficiency, I just hope the crowd that likes to vandalize Tesla vehicles doesn't realize that the Clarity is also mostly EV-only for many people.

4. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

When I started driving hybrids I’ve noticed that I got flats tires way more often then a normal car. My theory on that is that electromagnetic field from the battery and motor just sucks all metal **** from the road under the car, and it punctures the tires :)

Cash Traylor likes this.
  5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

I think we will surely get more flats with this vehicle simply because it has no jack or spare tire !
    If it wasn't for the fact that we don't tend to do road trips, I would do as some others have and procure a spare / jack.

6. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Not a dent, ding or scratch on mine after 16 months of ownership. I should add that the car is seldom parked outside, and it is in a secured lot when at work.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It’s difficult to know what will offend an idiot these days.

Cash Traylor and Mowcowbell like this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

When you're parking your Clarity, check out the people nearby. If they're wearing face masks, put yours on before exiting the car. If they're not wearing face masks, wait until you're away from the car and they're not watching to put yours on.

Kerbe likes this.
  10. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Nearing 2 years, 35,000 miles. One very lightly curbed wheel and the usual expected light rock chips on the front from interstateing...tires at about half life now. No complaints.

11. That would be succumbing to peer pressure.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Or, as we say in the performing arts, "knowing your audience"...

insightman likes this.
  14. Don’t get me started on actors.

15. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

I like the car so much I worry about it more than I have with other cars. Like some here, I've scratched the hub/wheel from cornering on one side. I didn't judge the distance properly taking a tight turn around the curb. It's the kind of thing I notice, but it's not super noticeable.

I think there really is a general uptick in accidents happening due to distracted driving (which really isn't the OPs case). In my last car, I got rear ended waiting for a red light. I was like, what the heck? I'm stationary. The person driving happened to be a young woman texting. Anyway, I think more of the distracted stuff is happening than I remember in the past. And of course you do have some folks who may damage your vehicle (i.e. parking lot) and walk away without leaving a note.

I think city size matters too. It's the reason insurance is higher when population density goes up. I live in a smaller place (250K) so I think that helps too.
    But yes, can definitely understand being PO'd if the car gets damaged. Like others, I try to baby mine as much as one can.