Finished the ceramic coating

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tek_Freek, May 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Got the ceramic coat put on this morning. About 2 hours of wipe on, wait, wipe off. Wiping off areas that I missed (it's easy to miss some areas).

I rinsed the car with a pressure washer. Washed it. Clay bar. I used Clayzilla - which I found has a design defect that will scratch the car, but I figured out how avoid that. I did notice that after doing the clay there were a lot of scratches that disappeared. When they say it is a bit of an abrasive they aren't kidding. I found that to be a good thing because the next step, polishing, took less work.

After polishing I used 1/2 water 1/2 70% IPA to clean any left over junk. That was probably the easiest step of all.

This was my first time using a polisher and I felt very fortunate that I found a video by a man in Chicago who explained a number of things to do and avoid that I'd not seen in all the others I had watched. This guy is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDSmHYJZuvQ

The polishing went fairly quick and was easier than I expected. I did not get all the scratches out, some were just too deep to chase, but I removed probably 99.9% of them.

The ceramic took about 2 hours. Not really difficult, just time consuming because you have to wait for the product to "flash" before buffing. I noticed this acquired a rainbow effect when it was ready. Although AvalonKing says it takes two bottles to do a sedan I used less than one, which means I have plenty to add a second layer later.

Now we ignore it for four days. That allows it to cure and they mention no rain or washing. Rain is unlikely, but living in Las Vegas means high winds and "dust" which is really sand. We decided it would be best to not drive in that.

I did this over three days. The car stayed in the garage the entire time. Now we wait and see if it's a shiny as everyone says.

Wheels are next, but when is questionable. It's going to get up to 111 degrees later this week, and working outside is not advised.

And no video. I thought about it, but there are hundreds on YouTube that are better than anything I would produce.

insightman likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

I have many doubts these are any better than wax but look forward to your opinion over time. And even if they are better is it worth it?

4. Danks

Danks Active Member

5. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

6. Good article confirms they are for me! Periodic maintenance is no different than washing and waxing a car. I just use different products. I expect to clean and recoat every three months. No winter here so weather is much easier on the coating.

7. To remove this ad click here.