High speed fast charging capabilities

Discussion in 'General' started by SouthernDude, May 20, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

When do y’all think that it will become standard for EVs to be able to charge to 80% capacity in 20 minutes or less (800V, 350kW)?

I think this is the final barrier that needs to fall for mass adoption.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

We only need 15 minutes to get enough charge to reach the next fast charger, about 2-2.5 hours (i.e., 120-150 minutes) away. It needs a bathroom, coffee/tea, some fast food, and a dog walk. The charge time keeps the ratio of charge-to-drive about an order of magnitude less. The charge time also matches our family biological time including the dogs.

Bob Wilson

4. SouthernDude

SouthernDude Active Member

That’s great, but some people, like my bosses, have very demanding work travel schedules and cannot afford to buy an extremely expensive car, which I would categorize as 40k and above.

5. bwilson4web

Without Autopilot, $37k was the price. BUT my family health and life have a different priority than some employers. Regardless, my money, my choice.

Bob Wilson

6. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Honestly, this can be done at the 100KW DC Fast Chargers for the Kona as well.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Initially, our Std Rng Plus Model 3 had a peak, 100 kW SuperCharger speed. Now it peaks at 170 kW which cuts about 5 minutes off of the original speed.

Bob Wilson