EU police love the Kona!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by hobbit, May 18, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Get a gander at this:

. https://thedriven.io/2020/05/19/european-police-fleets-love-hyundais-electric-cars/

I see that as real progress. I never understood why police forces didn't move to vehicles
    with a DC/DC converter based 12V system long since, such as the Ford Escape hybrid or
    equivalent if they needed the SUV form factor ... every time I see a gasser police vehicle
    sitting around *idling* for hours I think it's so backward. So going pure EV gives them that
    plus the ability to refuel where they park off-duty, and save their municipalities some coin
    in the process.

_H*

FloridaSun likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Great choice for a city police but in rural areas, the top speed of just over 100 mph won't work well in high speed chases..

4. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Well, not many cars can outrun a radio signal . . .

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

A lot of police avoid high speed chases if they can. The risk of some innocent person getting injured or killed is too high. That isn't to say that it never happens, but there are tradeoffs.

Here in the states, they can sometimes use a helicopter to track these people..

6. Paul Rummler

Paul Rummler New Member

Might be a problem if they have to sit with lights on for an extended period of time.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Sure, they can dispatch the helicopter but if you are out in the boonies, it may take a while for the Helicopter to get there and the criminal may be long gone. If the criminal drives 130 mph and the Kona 105 mph, at 25 mph difference, the criminal's car will soon be out of view.. Like I said, in most cases, the Kona will work just fine for the Police but not in all cases.. I know that in California, there are police departments that have Model 3's.. That should be sufficient fast..