Electrify Canada/Canadian Tire - any reports re cost?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by hwitten, May 19, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Anyone use one yet?
    Does the Kona fall into the 27 (1-75KW) or 77 (1-125KW) cents per minute category?
    Is there "Hyundai Select" plan as per Electrify America?

No luck talking with anyone :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

The Kona would fall into Tier 2 in the normal price plan. That's 58 or 68 cents per minute depending on the area. They Hyundai Select plan is 35 cents per minute.

4. That would be Electrify America. I'm wondering/hoping same Hyundai Select plan would be available for Canada, but probably not :(

5. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

6. I'm hoping that at least someone will wake up at Hyundai Canada and try to negotiate same deal as USA customers got. If they don't that will certainly give PetroCan a good foot in the door if/when we ever get to travel again :)

BTW... sure seems weird that first station going live in the West is at Merritt.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Going to try and call again tomorrow, just for kicks. Did a day-trip up to Merritt and thought I'd check out the Electrify Canada station. There was no way I was able to connect and get a price before committing to buy. Maybe there was further down-stream in the transaction but I was too chicken to give my CC before knowing what I was going to pay per minute :(

Went across the street (almost) to PetroCan and it was extremely pleasant. Plug in, tap CC and start charging at .27 cents a minute. Arrived with 36% and left with 80% 38.5 minutes later.

Only negative (slightly) is the cable handling. If the cable arms were a bit longer it would be easier but I managed. I might try backing in next time if there is enough room.

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

The "Hyundai Select" plan is something you ought to see in the app - you pick it there before you even go to a station.

10. There is none with Electrify Canada thus far :(

11. Unless the new Hyundai software upgrade reports max level @ less than 75kW, than no one can blame you for opting out of the EC "session fee" and also saving about 65% cost of charging by crossing the street and utilizing Petro Canada.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I was actually getting fed 76kW 7 minutes into the charge. Not sure for how long as we went for a walk.
    I sent Electrify Canada an email and gave feedback. We'll see if and how they'll respond.
    I probably (hopefully) won't see the software update for another 6 months or so unless 'called in' for something or other before regular service.

navguy12 likes this.
  14. Had a call from Electrify Canada and determined that most likely the Kona will be in second tier. She couldn't tell me for sure if there was a way to abort once plugged in and transaction has started for real. I explained that at .77 cents per minute I for one would not be using EC unless there was absolutely no alternative. I explained what EA had to do re a special Hyundai Plan and she said she would push it up the ladder.
    Perhaps this will all become a non-issue if indeed the software update addresses what the Kona reports to the Fast Charger. Fingers and toes crossed but not holding my breath :)
    At least they were interested enough to call, which is somewhat encouraging.

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  15. victor_2019

victor_2019 Active Member

77 cents a minute??? Are they crazy??

Here in Quebec on the Electric Circuit and Flo networks we pay about 19 cents a minute (11 an hour) for a 50kw charger.

16. Just greedy :)
    I think Electrify Canada is the only one that uses a tiered approach. Perhaps they don't need any customers. I believe (but could be wrong) that they are heavily subsidized. Maybe all they need to do is open X new stations to keep getting money shovelled to them.

Guess I'm not totally wrong: Canada Partners with Canadian Tire

17. Tax dollars hard at work:rolleyes:

18. Since the Kona is in the shop awaiting a new wiring harness I have Hyundai Accent as a loaner and took it on a 300 km trip today. Its was around 23C, no appreciable wind and flat highway. Got a very impressive 4.9 liter/km average doing around 110km/h(65mph) driving conservatively but by no means hypermiling. After the trip I had some time on my hands and did some math.

All in the trip cost me $13.67 in gas(93 cents per liter) in the ICE Accent. I basically figured the cost of electricity using a PetroCanada HPC DC charger for that same distance and under the same conditions using the Kona EV would have cost me 19 cents more than the ICE Accent's fuel bill. Plus I would have lost at least 40 minutes at the DC charger. This assumes an average highway efficiency of 6.7 Kw/km, a DC charge initiated at a low SOC, average charge of at least 58Kw/hr and DC charge of 33 cents per minute, which I have experienced in past under similar conditions. Of course this example would have been worse for the EV in winter conditions. Now since it was only 300 km trip I could have easily done this on home level 2 charge. The home charge would have saved me around $9. Nonetheless it just reinforced to me and I have probably mentioned in the past that if I want to do a long highway trip it would probably cheaper and quicker to grab a fuel efficient ICE for job especially based on current time based DC charges.

19. Yup, that's why I took my ICE vehicle last March on a long road trip down south. Would have cost me probably more than double to take the EV, and then you have the delays with stops, and possible range anxiety if you push it.

EV charging stations that charge more than home electricity are not helping to get ICE cars off the road. I hope the govt realizes that.

navguy12 likes this.
  20. Maple

Maple Member

Looks the tier 1 and tier 2 have the same price in Canada now. I am happy with it. Problem is the electrify Canada charge stations are very few.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Attached Files:

electriceddy likes this.
  21. I suspect they do but they don't really care. While I appreciate private or publicly traded companies need to make their money back on capital expenditures such as new expensive DC chargers I do think the prices they charge are a bit out of tune especially since many of these new chargers being put in by Petro Canada or Electrify Canada are being deeply subsidized by the federal tax dollars. If I did something similar in my work I would be called out for double dipping and likely be asked to leave. Not thinking that is going to happen to PetroCan or Electrify Canada :(

navguy12 likes this.
  22. That's the trouble with subsidies. Often they are just a money grab by the corps and in the end do not really benefit the consumer. I like what BC Hydro has done with all their free chargers, but looks like that might come to an end, too.:( And in Manitoba, you do have Manitoba Hydro with loads of excess power (for MB). They are the ones that should be providing more infrastructure and free charging to promote EV adoption. I am lucky where I live, as our municipality (Langley Township) has provided a lot of free chargers with more to come. One is just a few blocks from where I live, so that is where I charge mostly. And they promote and support the use of EVs on their website.

I kind of look at EV infrastructure like roads and bridges. If we as a society are serious about getting off ICE cars and the associated pollution, we need to be more aggressive with making it worthwhile for people to convert. I know that won't be popular with most people today, and certainly not the gas stations and oil companies. But not sure how else to make it happen.

navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  23. It is done very easily, just raise the $ of gas. Notice the top 2 priced countries in Europe is Norway and Netherlands, both of which follow suit as the most electric vehicles per capita and also by percentage:
    https://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/fuel-price-in-europe.html#.X1QQY9apF6k
    and
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1121186_us-has-worlds-second-highest-electric-car-population#:~:text=The country with the most,reaching China in tenth place.
    Easy-peasy:)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    mho and navguy12 like this.