Seeing reports of a Kona Recall in form of Software Update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by JSU, Apr 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. They have to start somewhere. Several owners in the US now have been notified and no-doubt it will eventually arrive in Oceania and the rest of the world. It's not clear yet if it applies to all Kona EVs but I suspect it will. Just be glad that Hyundai are continuing to improve the product because eventually they'll move on. I would not be speculating about the reasons so soon. The battery is already disconnected when the car is parked and not charging.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. From a Canadian article, google-translated from French:
    "It should be noted that the vehicle is equipped with a battery management system. Already, using numerous sensors, as soon as the programming perceives an abnormal rise in temperature during recharging or any other condition, the electrical supply is cut and isolates the battery. The changes announced by Hyundai will increase this protection through an additional level of surveillance."

electriceddy likes this.
  4. Good article, Hyundai at least making an attempt even though the root cause of the fire is yet undetermined.

5. Jumping to the conclusion that this has anything to do with fires seems to be a leap.

6. I think the main thing to pull from this is that they enhanced their BMS with extra protection that is rolling out with the latest 2020s now and they are bringing it back to the earlier 2020s and 2019s.

Since the TSB report does not have a conclusion on what caused the Montreal fire, probably no sense linking it like the article does. There were other fires that happened as well before that which were talked about in the Montreal fire thread.

I just like they are continuing to enhance their BMS. If they didn't have software updates for that kind of stuff...it may worry me more. No way you get it all right the first time ;).

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I got my letter for my 2020 Kona built in October 2019. Its listed as a service campaign and there are no open recalls according the the Hyundai Canada site.
    Reading the letter and the linked article I have to agree it looks like a safety upgrade to the current BMS software, I doubt it has anything to do with drive-ability improvements. I am not going to rush out and get it. Hopefully they can sort it when they eventually address my gearbox, which apparently my dealer is still awaiting HYTAC approval to change( 3 weeks now).

9. I got mine yesterday as well. Dec/18 build date.

10. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

RP did you notice a boost in range?
    I haven't been able to fully test mine on a long run yet.

11. Just got the letter. I haven't taken it in for that yet. I am still dealing with the tick tick noise issue after my gearbox replacement.

XtsKonaTrooper likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I had my vehicle in for state inspection last week, the service manager called and left a v/m but I didn't hear it until after my appointment, he said there was a Hyundai service bulletin for my vehicle but they cannot perform it b/c they aren't authorized as Hyundai doesn't sell the cars in PA yet. (this, to me, is a situation that Hyundai should fix sooner rather than later - you can't stop someone from buying a car in a state like MD and then moving to PA - all their dealers need to be able to service all their vehicles!). Anyway, back to my point, I talked to him today and he referred to "Service Campaign 960" and said it dealt with voltage on the battery system and the Electronic Control Unit. He also said he was going to get back in touch with Hyundai to see if there's a way for them to handle this for me and not have to ask me to go out of state.

By the way, when I check my VIN directly, I don't see this information and Hyundai hasn't informed me directly of any service requirement on my car.

14. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

To some extent I agree that all dealers should be able to do the work. But there is specific training and equipment that the techs need to work on an EV. Now you might argue that a software update ought not require a whole lot of extra training - and that would be true.

Mattsburgh likes this.
  15. I'm trying to figure out if this will eventually apply to my 2020, built 10/29/19.
    Source for this?

Is there any way for us to see the installed version number of this software?

16. The facebook group Hyundai Kona Electric (EV). Since it seems to be relevant to the blowing-up thing I suspect we will all eventually get it. SW versions are visible on an infotainment menu but the relevance is uncertain.

Toolworker likes this.
  17. Llorgon

Llorgon Member

Heads up for anyone going to get this update done. I took my car to have it done on Friday, it's now Tuesday and I still don't have the car back.

The update went wrong and locked the dealership out. They are going to have to get Hyundai Canada to reprogram the computer. At least that is all they told me. It also happened to two other Kona's they were doing the updates on.

KiwiME and Wildeyed like this.
  18. Well that's good news.

19. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Methinks they should have stopped doing updates after bricking the 1st car.

Mattsburgh and electriceddy like this.
  20. Llorgon

Llorgon Member

right?!

Ours was the first car in for the day so I am guessing ours died and they assumed one off. Maybe the other two were being done at the same time?

21. Llorgon

Llorgon Member

Got the car back today, there was a problem with the 12v battery so that was replaced.

I did notice on the drive home that my average consumption was jumping all over the place. usually it stays around 6.3 km/kwh and will slowly adjust over time. But on my drive home I saw 5.0, 4.8, 6.0, 5.7, 6.8 ect. Hopefully it goes back to normal after some driving...

Mattsburgh and electriceddy like this.
  22. Others have reported weird statistics as well but no-doubt it will settle down eventually.

23. Llorgon

Llorgon Member

Ok good to know. Hopefully it goes back to normal soon!