Clunking Vibration type sound

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by blakehaas, Oct 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

I looked through my old repair invoice again and noticed that along with the E711 motor, they also installed (4) x "11404 12756p : BOLT-FLANGE". I guess that agrees with the reports I saw that there was some change in the mounting of the motor to gearbox requiring different bolts. Would be really sad if the original motors were failing due to a $1 bolt. Still can't really see an external difference from the few photos I have of the two motor revisions.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

Looking at the comments below this video, this is the first instance I've heard of where swapping both the gearbox and motor didn't solve the issue (noise came back in 2 weeks). Luckily for that owner, rotating the driveshaft 180 degrees has solved it for now. Same solution for the original poster of the video. Strange.

4. Rotating driveshaft is first on the list, after which motor replacement is next, followed by gearbox last (according to my local dealer tech).
    Unfortunately mine is silent now (warm weather) but I discovered a way to make it appear this morning simply by driving in reverse but again intermittent. Thanks for the part #s for the new bolts - 11404 12756p although they may be a different part# in Hyundai Kona.
    Wonder if the new bolt composition material is stronger enabling more torque to tighten the two units and avoiding flexibility.

5. I noticed a bit of noise with mine the last couple of days. Seems more pronounced when slowing down (at lower speeds) in regen 3. Stronger bolts makes some sense, given that they found some metal shavings (evidence of fretting) in the housing joining the two parts. I may have a chance to take it in next week. Will get them to do that other new recall at the same time.

6. Maybe humidity has an affect as well ?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Don't know. But outside temps definitely seem to. Just remember, though, that humidity tends to go down when it gets cooler (cool air can't hold as much moisture).

9. This document seems to provide some insight.
    upload_2020-5-16_14-59-51.png

wizziwig likes this.
  10. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Sorry to hear this. We have had several reports of this noise on the Facebook group Kona EV. The reduction gear is a known issue. This sound has been posted but yours was great.

11. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Really? Were shorter bolts loosening themselves or something??

Next time I get under the Kona to eyeball the coolant pumps I'm gonna
    check their torque...

_H*

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. It seems more likely that the relevant motor flanges are thicker in the case of a replacement motor. 50mm to 75mm is an awfully large difference, or mistake to make on the original fit. The mystery continues ...

14. Well, they did find signs of fretting between the two parts when they replaced my reduction drive. So that does give more credence that a stronger mating may have been necessary.

15. mf989

mf989 Member

My 2019 Niro was built 08/2019 (after this bulletin applied) and developed the problem and had a motor replaced, so we know that the longer bolts are not a solution.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  16. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi, so are you saying you had the first gen motor, thicker flange and longer bolts and it still failed?

17. I don't think the TSB was intended to be a solution. It's purely an alert that the replacement motor requires longer bolts, presumably a safety issue which may be why it's logged with the NHTSA.

18. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

I'm due for my first year service soonish and I'd like to know the details of the new motor, flange and bolts before I head in.
    Can anyone confirm my thoughts.
    New motor has a thicker/bigger mounting flange and thus they need longer bolts to mount it? Or is the mounting flange a separate thing?

Thanks if you know.

19. mf989

mf989 Member

Correct.

20. Took my car in this morning to the dealer. We went for a test ride around the lot and it was clicking pretty good (it was cool here this morning). They acknowledged the problem was not fixed with the reduction drive replacement (glad to get that out of the way), and are now going to call Hyundai Canada to discuss next steps. So will see what they come back with now.

apu, KiwiME and Wildeyed like this.
  21. I followed up with my dealer tech today and according to him Hyundai has been avoiding approving my gearbox replacement, he implied that they are still unclear on a better solution. He asked for a little more patience. The car has been mostly quite recently and honestly I would rather wait until Hyundai actually figures this out, unless it gets much worse of course.

22. I kind of sense that from my dealer tech as well, not a good time for me to bring it back though as the tapping is still very intermittent.

23. Yeah, when I brought it in the first time (a few months ago) with the clicking, they insisted on replacing the gearbox even though I was telling them what I learned here on this forum. But they thought they knew best, and I couldn't even get them to call Hyundai Canada at that time. Now they are... Probably will tell me to wait, and do nothing. I am reluctant also to be a guinea pig, and wish they would get to the bottom of this, and confirm a proper fix.

It has been my biggest disappointment with this car. I was hoping to keep it for a long time (5+ years), but now am worried about an expensive repair sometime after the warranty runs out.

That's one thing I like about Subaru (have had 4 of them). If they have a serious problem (and they have had a few) they will extend the warranty and/or do a recall even long after the warranty expires (not just safety like the airbag recall). I am not sure if Hyundai does that (this is my first one). I like to have confidence in my car...