E-pedal annoyance

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Paul K, Mar 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

The Leaf e-pedal works very well for driving. The interaction between regenerative and friction braking is practically seamless. I have enjoyed the one pedal driving very much.

Here's the glitch. When the e-pedal is ON the slightest amount of regen causes the brake lights to come on. So when you're in heavy traffic especially on the freeway the variance in the speed of traffic flow means that your brake lights are constantly flashing on and off. This has proved to be extremely annoying to the drivers behind you. Some that follow a little closer than they should think you're trying to brake check them and will pass agressively and cut in front.

So as much as I have enjoyed using it I'm keeping it OFF most of the time now. Really Nissan, the brake lights shouldn't flash until an appropriate rate of de-acceleration has been reached.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Thanks for the info. I know the brake lights should only come on with more than 0.2G of force, I believe. You may want to get Nissan to look at it to see if that is normal what you are experiencing. I've not heard anyone else mention it to your extent.

4. DJP

DJP Active Member

I always use the e-pedal setting. I haven't much worried about when the brake lights turn on but have been curious at which point this happens. I wonder if there is a difference between normal driving and using ProPILOT. I'm curious but not that curious to go out of my way to have a family member follow me and relay in real time over the phone what's happening.

5. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I only found out what the e-pedal was doing with the brake lights after a snowfall. You could see the snow on the back window turn red every time you let up on the accelerator. If you don't get snow in your area try taping a piece of white paper on the back window at night and then you will be able to see in the rear view mirror
    when the brake lights are coming on.

DJP likes this.
  6. KENNY

KENNY New Member

You don’t need anyone to follow you if your out driving at night on a quiet unlit country road. The brake lights are easily visible in the side view mirror. OP is correct that they activate far too early. I find that they illuminate the moment you fully release the go pedal. I use e-pedal exclusively for drive through restaurant lineups and slow traffic in hilly terrain. I prefer to control brake application myself to maximize regeneration.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

They are set to activate at 0.2G or greater. Whether that is early in your opinion or late, that is what it is.

9. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

On my 2018 Leaf the when the e-pedal is on the brakes lights will flash at the slightest bit of regeneration. One does not have to fully release the accelerator.
    The moment even one bar of regen appears the lights are on. It's a picky little point on a vehicle which is otherwise serving me very well.