clarity PHEV dead after 3 weeks in garage

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Jerry JLV, Apr 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

I could write another page long post on just this. Most of you know that batteries are a passion for me (well, that may be putting it lightly). The most important part about your little 12 volt battery is its birth date. No other bit of info when buying a battery now a days is as important when we are talking about "new" batteries. Some of you old timers will remember buying "virgin" batteries back in the day. They don't do that anymore unless you are buying smaller motor cycle and some small aviation batteries. These were batteries that were purchased and shipped "DRY!" The acid was in a separate bottle. Once you put the acid solution in ALL lead acid batteries start to age. This is accelerated due to the fact that it is done in the factory, they are charged and tested there, and shipped. Then they sit for weeks, months, maybe longer - on the shelves at the point of sale/distributor. With only a few exceptions, they are not even connected to a battery tender sitting on the shelf so they are aging and self discharging, which means they are sulfating. You actually would be better buying a battery, putting it on a commercial desulfator for 2-3 weeks, then installing it. So, if you are the one PAYING for the battery which is now much more expensive due to EPA regulations on lead. Like any beer - check the born on date! Pass if it is more than a few months old, like milk, dig to the bottom of the stack! The total reduction in life of your "new" battery is a multiple of how long it sat since manufacture. If you find a dealer (of batteries) in your area that actually has their stock plugged into a commercial bank trickle charger, considering the price of batteries now (not $30 anymore), it would likely be worth a $10 premium for their products all things being considered. Especially if dealing with "battery failures" are a big hassle for you (you live is rural areas etc). At least, like beer, you can have a better idea of the starting quality before you bring it home and put it in your refrigerator (on the trickle charger).... o_O;)

I'm all out of battery, um - beer,

Cash

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Some beers are made to be aged.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  4. SoWaClarity

SoWaClarity New Member

I know, because we did it twice. Yes, it's a hard hit to the ego -- but you left the car "ON". Sorry ;-) !

5. Ragman

Ragman New Member

6. Ragman

Ragman New Member

Sorry about posting in the wrong place. Mine was left 5 weeks unplugged in the garage and it restarted no problem. The main battery had lost minimal charge.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Stephen Parks

Stephen Parks New Member

>>

No, you probably don't need to tow it. Some car companies are still using traditional 12V batteries in plug in cars, because they either don't want to invest in developing the higher voltage hardware changes for the large battery, or it isn't available for their design, or they don't even want to use a voltage step down converter to drop it down to 12V for this old equipment (things like Stereo and some other car electronics). They many have many reasons for doing this, but either way, it should be charging the 12V battery when you plug the car in, so you can try that, but it may need the 12V power to run the big battery charger. If it continues to not respond after being plugged in, you can use another car to "jump start" or buy a trickle charger like motor cycle rider use to charge it back up when it isn't being used. Once it comes alive again, you may try plugging it in once a week or once every two weeks. The power drain is probably electronics in the car draining the battery waiting for door access and running the car alarm, etc. I have never had this problem on my Chevy Volt or Bolt, but it does happen on our son's 2012 Ford Focus electric. The 2012 model does not properly charge the 12V battery, so we tell him to just replace it every 3 years, sure it costs $150 to replace the battery, but still way cheaper than using gas!

9. jpkik96

jpkik96 Member

All - just to add to this post, I parked my 2018 Clarity last Saturday night with close to a full charge and came out this morning to a dead 12V battery. Easy to jump start as outlined in the Clarity manual - using a jumper pack, and with clamps on the + and - Jumper posts it easily started and than proceeded to do computer reboot. Just make sure you have jumper cables long enough - approx 6 ft total - to accommodate the distance between the two posts.

By the way, as mentioned in several previous posts, everything cleared up within he first 3 minutes of driving but I was more that a little surprised that a car that the 12V batery would die in less then 6 days....have a great weekend!

10. A healthy 12V battery should not discharge in 6 days in a Clarity or any other car that is parked and turned off.

Ours was left unplugged for 4 weeks. The 12V battery read 12.45V upon return and it started as normal. Currently it has been abandoned in So Cal for the past 12 weeks, garaged and unplugged. A few weeks ago I asked a friend to check on it, but he’s been unable to get over there. He should be able to take a measurement on the voltage before attempting to start the car.

Whatever the result, I’ll have him put the Tender on it.

11. jpkik96

jpkik96 Member

Landshark/All -

Thanks to your replies to this thread, I had my local Honda dealer inspect the 12v battery this morning and it failed the load test and was replaced under warranty. Still odd that a Honda battery fails within 24 months but good to know I now have a new one for the remainder of the lease (or if I decide to purchase it from Honda)

Have a great weekend!

craze1cars likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.