Price paid, plus dealer info

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JKroll, Feb 16, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bay Area

Bay Area New Member

At first the dealer's tax calculation was $2824.87, which seems higher then 9.25% for my city. So I showed them the actual DMV fee calculator and a link. It should be ~$2672.00

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/wasapp/FeeCalculatorWeb/newVehicleForm.do

Then they call me back and gave me the correct tax amount. Hmmm.... Are they doing this for "all" the uninformed customers?

Also, received another quote:

Oakland Honda

2019 White Base

$28,000 + TTL

Attached Files:

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Travelbug2225

Travelbug2225 New Member

We bought a used 2018 Clarity base with 14,513 mile for $18,900 from Honda dealer in Chula Vista.

I was going to buy it at $19,990 when I saw it listed on internet but not sure if I want the green color ( I never see the real one in person). But while I email the salesperson and inquired about availability I saw the price dropped another $1000 to $18,900. So, we drove 1.30 hours to dealership. The color was not that bad when I saw it in person and I started to like it more and more.

The car look brand new. I am very happy with the price, condition and the SUPER low mileage on the car. There were 5 people who made appointments to come take a look at this car. I’m glad I was the first one there.

Robert_Alabama and insightman like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@Travelbug2225, your and my Claritys are not just green, they are Moonlit Forest Pearl. So much more romantic. I let (OK, persuaded) my dealer to put my Clarity (the first in Michigan) in the showroom for a week (where the photo at left was taken). When I later asked my salesman if my Clarity had generated any interest, he said, yes, people buying Accords and Civics had asked if they could get their cars in Moonlit Forest Pearl. Unfortunately for them, the Clarity is the only Honda that gets that color. The other Clarity colors are shared with other Hondas. I was so happy that the first Clarity to arrive was painted the color I wanted. Uh-oh, time to wash it again.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Robert_Alabama likes this.
  5. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

On top of that, only the PHEV version of the Clarity is available in Moonlit Forest Pearl - it is the "hero color" for the PHEV (The BEV hero color is Vortex Blue Pearl)

4sallypat and insightman like this.
  6. ocubio

ocubio New Member

Would you guys buy the 2020 for $1600 more than 2019 base model? I assume 2020 is more reliable than previous models because some of the kinked may be worked out with new insights from fixes.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Bay Area

Bay Area New Member

I just purchased a 2020 base for $28,888 + TTL, and my neighbor purchased a 2019 base for $28,000 + TTL. I would go back to the dealer and tell them to give you better numbers? ;) I would go for the 2020 for $28,888 if your dealer would match that price.

Also Honda just started this month, 1.9% for 2020, or 0.9% for 2019.

ocubio likes this.
  9. The 2020 is virtually unchanged from 2019. The pedestrian alert system sings a different tune. That’s about it.

Any software fixes should be installed before you take possession.

Two things to consider.
    1) A 2019 may have been sitting in a dealers lot for many months. The 12V battery may have been deeply discharged and could need to be replaced.
    2) If you intend to sell the vehicle in a few years, a 2020 would be 1 model year more recent, which may have a higher resale value than a 2019, even with the same mileage.

cyberteen, ocubio and insightman like this.
  10. JRB-NC

JRB-NC New Member

2019 Base Clarity $29.3, some accessories at 50% off, couple of small freebies (locking nuts, t/up paint, etc), plus dealer usual adders. Apple tree Honda, Asheville NC.

11. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

This is good to know that the used market for the Clarity is affordable.
    We are thinking of getting a second Clarity (used) for my son.
    And we have the exclusive Honda color for this model: moonlit forest green and love the dark metallic look that changes color in different angles of light.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Francofun

Francofun Member

Brand new Plugin Hybrid Clarity 2020, Canadian edition.
    Bought at Honda de Terrebonne. Paid the advertised price of $40,990 CAD + transportation ($1655); also paid for the flaps ($180,90). Add taxes (sales taxes of 14.975%; $100 on clim, 15$ on tires) and subtract $13,000 CAD (after taxes) in government incentive for Quebec resident (5k federal + 8k provincial).
    It is very difficult to negotiate anything on a Clarity in Quebec as they sell long before they even touch the dealer's ground.

Dealer fell into the usual and unfortunate PDI pitfalls, even though I explicitly told them beforehand: no battery pack capacity reported (they proudly handed me the results of the 12V battery test...sigh...) and less than 25% charge. It seems the body plugs are installed...

Already got the tuxmat installed - fit like gloves :)

14. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

Hi BayArea,

How much did your OTD price end up.? Dealers are quoting me here for 33000$

Sent from my iPad using Inside EVs

15. Bay Area

Bay Area New Member

$32,118

Attached Files:

cyberteen likes this.
  16. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

Cool. That’s helpful. I will try to get a deal close to that. Thanks :)

17. dpt

dpt New Member

I'm a big fan of the Clarity, on my third one, I've owned a 2018, 2019 and 2020. Who was the federal tax credit and other state and utility credits, it's hard not to pick one up every year. I purchased a base model Clarity this weekend, the price was 27,500 plus tax and license.

I haven't looked at the Forum is yet but I've already noticed a few changes between the models years of 2019 and 2020. The 2020 model has a louder musical noise when backing up and also a louder musical tone while driving up to 25 miles per hour, then it turns off. The 2019 model also has the same musical noises for pedestrian safety in but it's much quieter. There are also a few changes to the buttons on the steering wheel, the 2020 has a buttons that are softer, the horizontal lines have been removed from the volume knob on the steering wheel and there is a small change in the button configuration on the right hand side of the steering wheel. Also the reverse button is softer with a different angle. There might be other small changes as well, these are the ones that I've quickly noticed after owning the car a few hours.

cyberteen likes this.
  18. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

What State do you live in? I'm assuming CA since that is where inventory to do what you are describing has been available.
    Has the state sent the bill for the prorated rebate repayment on your first two? In CA you must keep the vehicle for 30 months or you owe the "unused" portion of the rebate. And there was a lifetime limit of 2 rebates prior to 2020, but it is now reduced to one. Oregon term is 24 months and also requires repayment is you sell or trade the vehicle prior to that, but there is no limit to the number of rebates (businesses are limited to 10 a year).

19. What were the OTD purchase prices and trade in/sales prices of your 2 previous Clarities?

If you’re in CA, sales tax alone is about $2500 for each purchase. That’s over $200/mo.

Help us understand how this makes any sense.

20. dpt

dpt New Member

I do live in California, unfortunately it does have a high tax rate. The reason that makes sense to me is that I've been able to take full advantage of the federal tax credit. The state and utility credits are prorated though, I do have to pay a portion back in selling the car earlier than their required term. I have been able to keep the car for a year and still break even in selling and purchasing a new car.

21. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

Dpt, 27500, was this on a 2020 model?

22. dpt

dpt New Member

Yes , 2020 model with 9 miles on the odometer.

cyberteen likes this.
  23. cyberteen

cyberteen Member

Nicee.. mind sharing the dealer name? I am in SoCal.