Front sensors for distance warning

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Tek_Freek, May 6, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I've been looking into these and most are expensive and require drilling the bumper. Not really what I want to do. I found this on eBay for less than $22 with local shipping. The one they have left is now at $35, but I'd offer $20 since mine was.

It's a license plate mounting that has four sensors. Two face forward and two face outward about 15 degrees.

Normally it ties into the reverse light wiring, but I'm going to use the same method I used with the cams. When the car is started the sensors power up. If it drives us nuts in stop-and-go traffic I'm going to add a kill switch in one of the empty slots by the plug door opener.

It looks like a fairly simple install (Famous last words) and has not only a beeper that changes with distance, but a small LED box that shows distance and direction using small bars on each side of the distance number.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383393621575

reverse guard.jpg

Daniel M W likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

That's an extremely suspicious listing. Any real sites that list (rather, listed, as most of them are dead and abandoned) those have (had) them over $200, the seller's name looks very autogenerated and bot-like, there are similar names selling them on Facebook's marketplace, the seller had a previous listing of the same thing for the same price that was "cancelled due to a listing error", that model (RG20B) is according to Google a half-frame version, not full like the listing claims, etc...

FWIW I found a "press release" type article mentioning that these were released in 2006. The manufacturer apparently had a page on Amazon for their stuff up to two years ago with 50% negative reviews. That doesn't bode well for how it'll work even if that listing is more legit than it looks.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  4. ab13

ab13 Active Member

5. I have the item and the original box. There are four sensors and the barcode says RG20B. You can be as suspicious as you need to be, but for under $22 I'll take a chance. Besides, if it's fake eBay guarantees a refund. win/win.

It is a half frame. I think the seller never looked in the box and the picture on the box looks like a full frame. It's two parts. A full frame base and a half frame sensor bar that attaches to the frame. Thar's for versatility. It can be mounted at the top right side up or at the bottom upside down.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Daniel M W likes this.
  6. No reason to check other listings. I have the unit in hand. Thanks for the link. It came with that same manual.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I am amazed at the negativity here. I guess in the future I'll just keep things I find to myself.

9. Daniel M W

Daniel M W Member

I was looking for something similar, as my clarity is a lease I don't want to invest a lot. Thanks for sharing!, with that price covered by Ebay is a win/win and no need for drilling or a lot of disassembling. If is ok can you post a few pictures?. I'm really interested.

10. Trial test. Excellent! I laid the wires over the hood and through the drivers side window. Temporarily connected the positive to fuse #18. I think I should have used #2 (accessory) because #18 is always on. Oops. Connected the negative to the ground under the dash by the yellow bar. There are pictures in this forum regarding these connections.

I drove to a parking lot and tested with straight in parking to a parking bumper and angled parking to a straight parking bumper. That second one is with the parking bumper angled about 30 degrees to front of the car. Both warned to 1 1/2 feet. I pulled up behind cars and 6 feet initial warning. An area where the ground sloped up behind the parking space started at 6 feet then dropped out until 3 feet, then to 1 1/2 feet.

The Clarity license plate tips up quite a bit (picture) so I tested without the plate that comes with the sensors that is a wedge shape. That allows you to tip it up more or, in my case, down more. I tested with and without it and it seemed to sense curbs a bit better with it. Distance is fairly accurate. It starts to pick up objects at around 6-7 feet and drops from 1 1/2 or 1 foot to zero. So it looks like the accurate range is 6 feet to 1 1/2 feet. The buzzer is loud. LOUD! So I covered half of it with electricians tape and it helped. I'm thinking the glove box might be a good place for it.

Next is the permanent install. I plan on running the wires though the grill openings above the plate and look for an opening in the firewall someone found and mentioned in a thread somewhere. If I'm lucky that is on this forum or Facebook group. Except for going through the firewall it's going to be an easy install for me. Easier because I've already identified and used fuse #2 so all I have to do is splice for power, and I know where the ground is located, so loosen the screw add the wire, tighten the screw..

This is with the wedge installed.
    licene late sensor leaning.jpg

Contents of the box.
    License sensor box contents.jpg

KentuckyKen, MrFixit and Daniel M W like this.
  11. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

I just had sets of EchoMaster front and rear sensors installed on my front and rear bumpers. I go to a good 12v shop where they know their business, and they recommend and install this brand on all types of cars (including very expensive ones). From what I've seen, these systems are fairly cheap to manufacture. Installation costs, and that's where it can go horribly wrong. What you've bought looks like a great idea because it costs almost nothing, and the placement of the sensors is simple and fixed. Now you've test-installed it and you have a good result!

Who cares how cheap it was or if the listing was questionable? Even if you had gotten ripped off, you wouldn't have lost much money on the attempt. I can tell you you'd pay a lot more for the bumper sensors properly installed (or you'd have a very complicated and risky task removing the front bumper and drilling holes into it. I'd say this is a great idea.

I saw one of these (also meant for the rear plate) that has cross-traffic and blind spot monitoring. The blind-spot monitoring is of limited value because it only senses cars that approach from behind you (and not ones that are beside you), but I'm wondering how good the cross-traffic is on it. I've also had an EchoMaster BSM/cross traffic system installed. It was quite expensive to have installed. The BSM works flawlessly, but I'm not overly impressed so far with the cross traffic warning. It might actually be better on the license plate frame!

If you've gotten what you want so inexpensively, you've come out way ahead of the game! Keep posting this stuff! There are many of us who want to see it.

coutinpe and Daniel M W like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. We had the rear sensors installed at purchase and they have saved me numerous times when backing out of a parking space. Some people drive too fast in parking lots!

This one is made for the rear of the car, but I decided why not on the front? And it looks like in traffic it won't be annoying because we only have to stay more than 7 feet behind a vehicle to keep it from sensing.

As far as I'm concerned the entire venture has been a win for us. Negative posters can be ignored.

Insighter and Daniel M W like this.
  14. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

You bought the Honda rear sensors? Maybe I don't understand how these work. Can you describe the scenarios in which they are coming into play and saving you? I mean how your car is moving and how the other cars are moving, and what happens? Thanks!

15. They are the ones embedded in the rear bumper. They beep any time I get close to objects when backing up. They go off when I back out of the garage, any time I'm getting too close to objects when backing up, and when there is cross traffic as I back out of a parking space. They cost $721.00 installed. Again that was at purchase.

If you click on my sig picture you can see the ones in the center of the bumper. There are two more to the outside on the curve of the bumper.

Insighter likes this.
  16. Insighter

Insighter Active Member

So they alert to cross traffic? How well do they work for that purpose? The cross-traffic sensors that are standard equipment on my Prius Prime Advanced are amazing. Even as I'm backing out of my garage, if there is a car going by on the street 20 feet back and in front of a neighbor's house, they alert. They alert to cross traffic when backing out of a parking space, even before I clear the cars beside me. Do yours work that well? I've only had experience with the ones on the Prime, so that is my only reference point. Thanks!

17. Not sure about 20 feet behind me. That would be an interesting test to set up. They do work very well when backing out of a parking space. Saved me a number of times when parked next to an SUV or big truck.

One warning: Be more careful when parked at an angle. Some sensors don't pick up oncoming when it's on the "first out" side because the oncoming vehicle can be too far towards the front of the car. Some are better at sensing this than others.

Insighter likes this.
  18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My dealer-installed Honda sensors do not help with cross-traffic detection. They can detect a car only when it gets behind me.

19. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Nice!
    I have been desperately needing an easy way through the firewall to run some wires. Can you tell me where you found a way or share the link that has it. It would be greatly appreciated.
    Can anybody help me find where I can get wires through the firewall from engine bay to cabin?

20. Strange. Are they in the correct location? The outside ones that is. iirc they also rotate some because they are angled. Mine definitely catch cross traffic once they are clear of surrounding objects.

21. It seems that it was a poster (here or Facebook) that added the sensors to their front bumper. I will look for it since I also need to find it.

Daniel M W likes this.
  22. Found this from PHEVer

"Thanks for the reply. I've actually located a pass-thru: driver side front fender and then thru plug in footwell. Apparently, it's the same design for the civic and accord. Honda makes it easy if you want to lead wires from battery into the cabin or trunk!"

Three pictures here with some explanation. Do ctrl/f and search for firew to find them.

https://idoneitmyself.com/2019/06/09/installing-a-rostra-frontzone-250-1920-fz-ultrasonic-parking-assistance-system-on-a-2018-honda-clarity/

KentuckyKen and Insighter like this.
  23. That last post may be confusing. The locations mentioned are not the same one.