Seeing reports of a Kona Recall in form of Software Update

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by JSU, Apr 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Checking it now at 12.82 V the BM2 says 100%. I don't know what the OBD2 data would say but I don't pay any attention to either of these percent evaluations because it's not clear how they work or if they are accurate. I think the battery voltage always being over 12.5 V is adequate to maintain long term life.
    The problem with using OBD data in general is that the car must be in Run, Utility or Charging modes and that means the 12 V system is fully alive and will start charging the aux battery. The BM2 measures and logs voltage with minimal disturbance, just 2-4mA. The OBD might have a more sophisticated way of determining SoC but we don't know that, or if the PID is correctly formulated. I've seen low numbers as well that made no sense so I don't trust it.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

Measuring open circuit voltage without any load isn't useful for determining SOC or health of the battery. That's why I've been checking the OBD SOC number which at least puts a small load on the 12V battery as is evident from the voltage dropping immediately from the open circuit value. Much lower than 12.5V on my car. If you monitor that OBD SOC value after 12V charging starts, it also increases at a slow rate (much slower than 20 minutes to go from 70->90%) that leads me to believe it is more accurate than just looking at open circuit voltage like your external voltage meter and app. I guess we'll find out soon enough. My ICE vehicles averaged 5 years on each 12V battery in my climate so we'll see if these batteries last anywhere close to that.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  4. I actually just received this notice in the mail (I'm in Ontario). I have a 2019 Kona EV. (Received May 2019). The letter doesn't mention recall at all...says its a "Service Campaign Notice 00D005(C0374)" and that it applies to certain 2019/2020 models and newer models already have this software update. Looks like the change is: "...the operation of the BMS has been enhanced to include additional monitoring of the HV Battery when the vehicle is parked."

5. What's the latest build date for a car included in this "service campaign"?

Anyone in the U.S. gotten it yet? My VIN still comes up negative as of this morning.

6. I'm in the US and have not gotten anything.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

I'm in Ontario and got mine today in the mail.
    Going in tm to have it updated.

9. Even though I received the letter for the "service campaign", when I look up my VIN it says there are no recalls. This may be due to the terminology they are using since they don't call it a recall o_O. Wonder if this is based on any investigations they have done related to vehicle fires since its related to the BMS while parked...

10. According to the Chicago Tribune, in the U.S., "In terms of severity of safety risk, a customer service campaign is the least problematic; a TSB [Technical Service Bulletin] is reported to NHTSA but not necessarily to car owners and typically cover a new car quirk; a recall is a safety defect that must be fixed and customers must be notified."

The TSB may be a "hidden warranty" - if you don't complain you don't find out about it.

"A 'customer service campaign' doesn't conform to NHTSA notification rules. The problem is not considered to be a safety issue, and the automaker issues one to address complaints and keep the customer happy, according to Consumer Reports. Service campaigns often cover widespread problems that occur after the warranty expires."

The Hyundai website says it lists "Safety Recalls and Service Campaigns."

Please - if you have gotten the letter, let us know your build date, if it is later than others posted here (none so far).

11. The build date of my 2019 Kona EV Preferred is April 3, 2019.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Got my notice today. It's a voluntary service program by Hyundai for select 2019 and 2020 models in the Canadian market. Don't know when I'll be comfortable doing it. I'm not in the least bit interested in sitting around a cramped dealership waiting room for hours these days. I still haven't gone in for my winter tire swap, my 12 month/24kKm inspection or the leaky/corroded connector inspection either. List is getting longer... damn covid.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Well if yours is included then I should be as well given the delivery times/ manufacture dates being so close.
    I wouldn't worry too much about being late for 12 month inspection, due to the circumstances.
    Relating to the winter tire swap, it may become your guardian angel considering the unusual cold front predicted for your area:
    https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/polar-vortex-about-to-hit-ontario-will-bring-arctic-air-to-province-1.4925492
    Around these parts, the big decision will be, which shorts do I wear today? :p
    https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-20_metric_e.html

Wildeyed likes this.
  15. Just searched my VIN for recalls in Myhyundai site and see there is a recall for my 2019 Kona EV SEL.

This is the message KONA HIGH VOLT.BATTERY
    UPD.(20-01-018H) Recall Code:960

My vehicle was purchased in July 2019 and has around 12800 Miles. I saw a post about this recall in one of the facebook groups earlier today who got this recall with 15k miles on their kona

16. Could find nothing on EBSCO website, other than additional monitoring of the 12V battery thru Bluelink. Will check with Hyundai repair center next week

17. Not a recall. Only some Canadian vehicles affected.

18. Oilberta

Oilberta Member

Checked website yesterday and our Dec 20 2018 Ultimate ...02220x did not show. So today got a head office (Canada) notice in the mail of service campaign 0D005(C0374) ... update to vehicle's high voltage battery system ... additional monitoring of the HV battery when the vehicle is parked.

19. XtsKonaTrooper

Polish_20200506_153540839.jpg Got my update today.
    My production date was dec 5 18.
    Looks like a gom range increase.
    The pic on the left was taken before update and next pic was once I got home.

Pobre likes this.
  20. NRH

NRH Active Member

I think more likely the car's driving memory was reset, and it'll return to your previous range after you've driven it for a few days. But certainly let us know if that's not the case. A 25% range increase would be a nice surprise!

21. XtsKonaTrooper

Very true
    I did a full charge last night and instead of reaching 482 km, it did make it to 466km. A couple of days before, my full charge was about 360km.
    Others have noticed the boost, i wonder if it stayed true or if they at least have seen an increase in the overall range.
    If definitely will be nice, cuz if this increased range stays in place, in peak optimal temperature, i should get over 500km easily.

Wildeyed likes this.
  22. Eric Normand

Eric Normand New Member

Hi, in my case december 13 2018 and received the letter thursday.

23. I also have a Dec 2018 build for Canada and received the letter yesterday. While my BC dealer is presently open, I will wait a bit before making the appointment.

Why would Hyundai want to update the main battery monitoring software for a parked EV? Thinking about this, there have been well-publicized instances of EVs that caught fire while parked. Indeed, I know someone whose recent IC Mercedes caught fire in his garage while he and his wife were out. It was not plugged into a charger. MB Canada looked into it and I think the outcome was that a short circuit was caused by rodent(s) chewing on the wiring in the engine compartment. This could just as easily happen to an EV, where the resulting fire would be no less of a disaster, though I've not heard of this happening to a Kona. It's possible that the update is being made with this situation in mind, to isolate the battery if there's a sudden draw. Or it could be for some other reason. And why does this service campaign seem to apply just to Canadian cars?