Tight J1772 plug

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Rick2112, Aug 6, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Silicone spray lubricant worked for me. One spray (6 years ago) and it's been easy ever since.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

I can confirm it is not the Clarity port that is a problem with the Zencar J1772. Their EVSE is also almost impossible to use in my Audi. It is poorly made and just too tight a fit. I removed the o-ring in the bottom of the J1772 and lubricated it lightly with silicone grease. Even after a month of use, t's still a 2-hander that I'm afraid will damage the port. All other EVSEs have worked fine on all of my PHEVs, including Ford, Honda, and Audi. The response I received from Zencar was that there EVSE meets industry standards. But, there are LOTS of complaints about their connector on reviews, including some folks who have disassembled them to look for solutions.

I strongly recommend against purchase of the Zencar EVSE and the brands that use their J1772 connector. I think you can tell by looking inside a J1772 to see if there is a red rubber seal at the bottom.

insightman likes this.
  4. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

So, I wanted to post this as a just in case. I realize a lot of the focus here is on the housing friction. With my cheapo charger I had problems with the actual pin socket friction. My solution is here, it was not terribly difficult to do and may likely work for others. I removed the rings on my Duo and never looked back. However understand if there is hesitance regarding those nicer level 2 rigs discussed.

https://imgur.com/a/XbVF0

There is a risk of to little mating friction on high current chargers as you can cause contact hot spots. However, the pin connections have a lot of surface area and the plug alignment is pretty good. I also used some dielectric grease on the pins when I had it apart and everything seems to work much better. I agree with all above about using a "dry" lubricant for anything external to minimize dirt accumulation.

Cheers,

Cash

Sandroad likes this.
  5. Sandroad

THANKS! That’s just what I needed. I want to use my Zencar, because it has the cool feature of adjustable amps out. I’ll remove those clips today. You rock.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  6. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

@Sandroad

Just curious if the operation was a success and if it helped with the issue? Or did the patient die, hop off the table, sue you for malpractice/unlicensed procedure?

Cash

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sandroad

@Cash Traylor , I got distracted by working through a major upgrade from lead-acid to lifepo4 batteries for my solar car charging station and so did not get out the scalpel yet. I have confidence in my ability to keep the lawsuits at bay, however. (Though I've been known to do some unplanned welding with DC connections.) My wife made us put a baby monitor in the garage so she can hear my yells for the fire extinguisher. I'll let you know how it goes. Should be soon.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  9. Sandroad

Well, I failed. I couldn't figure out how to get the wires out of the connector without damage. On mine, each individual contact seemed to have a little one-way clip that I could not free deep inside the J1772 connector with the tools I have. So, I have a too-tight J1772 from Zencar that I've decided to not use. I'm on the hunt now for a new cordset with a better quality J1772 connector attached. I'll install that on the EVSE and toss the Zencar connector.

10. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

Sorry to revive a really old thread, but maybe this may help. A reviewer on Amazon complained to Zencar and they basically told him to widen the connectors with some tool he wasn't able to find, but instead used a philips head screwdriver.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R17W9JX2BC0IJ2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0758TLC8H

Follow up message to Zencar on 5/31/20:
    As a follow up on our earlier conversation, I decided to make an attempt to "fix" the tight fit problem based on the instructions copied below that you provided in an earlier email,
    "Because the charging hole of each car model is different, some cars are suitable and some are tight. You can find two iron needles, one with a diameter of approximately 2.8mm and other is 3.6mm. First use the 3.6mm iron needle to correction and then, use 2.8mm one to correction."
    For most US consumers, these instructions would be difficult to impossible to understand plus being able to find these "iron needles" in metric diameters is truly impractical. As a substitute, I used two phillips head screwdrivers and a hole reamer to force the springs in each charging connector in the charging cable handle farther apart. This is not an easy process and I was concerned the entire time that I would over expand and break a spring in the connectors I had to do this twice but was finally able to correct my original problem of the really tight fit so that now the charging cable can be plugged in and removed with only minimal effort. Which was how it should have been from the beginning. I would also point out that if you intend to use these "repair" instructions in the future, you need to begin by telling the consumer to UNPLUG THE CABLE FROM THE ELECTRICAL SOURCE BEFORE BEGINNING. Otherwise, you could end up with your consumers poking around in a live 240v connector with an "iron needle". Not good. I've attached a picture of the tools I used.
    Bottom line, the charging cable is well made and works well with the one GLARING exception of the inconsistent fit for the charging connector. Zencar and Amazon seriously need to get this issue corrected going forward. As it is, Amazon is advertising and marketing a product with what you have now told us is a known problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow up message to Zencar on 6/23/20:
    It has been almost a month now since I was successfully correct the tight fit problem with the charging cable and everything has continued to work satisfactorily. Alice, the Zencar customer service representative I have been working with was successful in having the warranty for my product extended to March 30, 2021. Alice has been very helpful as I worked my way through this issue with Zencar. ​

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If Inside EVs didn't want us to add new info to old threads, they would lock or delete the threads. New info is always welcome--especially on a topic that has caused consternation for many forum members.

12. To remove this ad click here.