Clarity UI

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Alex800st, Apr 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

what is the purpose of the "main" button on the steering wheel? To turn ACC on I use res or set. To turn in off I use cancel or brake pedal. And why the name is "main"?

On top of the map it shows the next street across ahead. Can it be set to show the name of the street I am currently on?

When I have my climate off (no green light on "push/auto" button and "off" on the climate screen) but want some air from outside - on my old civic I just push the "vent up" button several times. Clarity however turn on the heater, why

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

I am not thrilled with how Honda did the air vent thing either. What I do is lower the temperature and then turn off the A/C. Is there a better way?

4. KClark

KClark Active Member

I agree that trying to get outside air inside the Clarity is a needlessly complicated and confusing operation.

SThomas219 likes this.
  5. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that’s the only way to manually override HAL or Colossus or what ever the all powerful computer is called in our Clarity’s and get plain outside air at all times. At least we don’t have to go through several screens just to open the glove box like in a Tesla.

6. Roll down the windows?

Pegsie likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

LOL. Your boomer is showing unless you are using that term generically. My son who is 28, hasn’t even seen a car with roll down windows. He thinks cars have always had buttons for windows and locks. I haven’t seen roll down windows since my 1978 Toyota Corolla wagon. (It was also my last manual tranny car.)

DaleL and craze1cars like this.
  9. SThomas219

SThomas219 Active Member

Adds wind resistance which cuts down on EV range. But, yes, I have used that method as well.

10. What do you call it? And, yes, I am a Boomer.

11. I sometimes forget about the way others drive. I drive this car like any other without concern for EV range. The exceptions being using the various modes like Sport and HV. I would never think to not do something like roll down windows because of wind resistance. I'm also not working so no daily commute to consider.

Cash Traylor likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KClark

KClark Active Member

I also pretty much drive this car in the same way I've driven any other car. And in all of them before now, when I wanted some fresh air vented into the car and didn't want the noise and turbulence of opened windows it was easy to do that with a button or dial position. Not so with my Clarity. It could be simpler.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    SThomas219 likes this.
  14. Tangible

Tangible Active Member

Actually, rolling windows up or down doesn't refer to the hand cranks that we Boomers grew up with. It goes much farther back, to the horse and buggy era, when windows were made of a flexible transparent material called isinglass, and were literally rolled up and down.

You may be familiar with the song "Surrey with the Fringe on Top" from the musical Oklahoma, which has the lyric, "...with isinglass windows you can roll right down, in case there's a change in the weather."

By the way, my very up-to-date iPhone 11 Pro Max still uses the term "redial", though few of us have seen a dial on a phone in many a year. Its email system can create a "cc", carbon copy, without staining my hands with carbon paper ink. And my cable "modem" neither modulates nor demodulates. Old terminology does hang on.

Bbeardb, Teslawannabe, Mark W and 5 others like this.
  15. KentuckyKen

My bad. To say nothing of make a Zerox copy or Hoover the living room carpet.
    Wonder how many younguns realize what they’re saying when they say “dial” a number or “roll” down the window? And you’re right, there are no better modern replacements for the old standbys.

16. eneka

eneka Member

the "main" button is probably just a Honda thing. The cruise controls on our 05' Odyssey and '11 CR-V both have a "main" button to toggle the system on and off. From there you can set the speed, cancel and resume. If you toggle main, it'll lose the "resume" speed. IIRC it's the same on the Clarity.

insightman likes this.
  17. Alex800st

Alex800st Active Member

Technically speaking your cable modem still modulates and demodulates.

marshall likes this.
  18. Cash Traylor

Cash Traylor Well-Known Member

The "main" or "master control" may be a carry-over from automotive history, or a prep for the future.
    https://www.cartalk.com/content/why-does-cruise-control-have-extra-button

In ISO 26262 many of the high level ADAS (level 3 and up) require a master disengage option (button) to turn all the driving automation off at once. So LKAS and ACC have a "kill switch," and the Autopilot "driver sleeping mode" in the future. There is some value either way to social engineering. Likely why manufactures are getting rid of gear "shifters" and moving to knobs/buttons, as in the future we may only select a mode (A/M-D-P-R).

However, push buttons did happen before, anyone have a Chrysler 1954 Powerflyte? :cool:

Cheers,

Cash

19. leop

leop Active Member

My Dad bought a Plymouth station wagon with push button controlled automatic transmission back in 1957. The control was on the left side of the steering wheel just below the top of the dash. It was fun for us kids to play with the buttons (while the car was parked).

Cash Traylor likes this.
  20. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

My experience is that the MAIN button switches between Cruise Control and Adaptive Cruise Control.

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

According to the Owners Manual's section on indicator lights, the MAIN button enables both the ACC (page 100) and LKAS (page 101). You can select either or both of these sensor-based features after activating the MAIN button.

upload_2020-4-22_21-0-5.png

Page 413 says to activate regular old Cruise Control you "press and hold the interval button for one second. Cruise Mode Selected appears on the driver information interface for two seconds, and then the mode switches to Cruise."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    KentuckyKen likes this.
  22. In our '92 Mazda 626, the Main button turned the whole cruise control system on or off so there wouldn't be the chance of an accidental set or resume.

23. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

I'm sure this works, but if your ACC is active and you press "Main" what you're left with is standard cruise control and no LKAS.

insightman likes this.