Arm Rest on center Console too far Back and Low to be Comfortable

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Lucky Chow, Apr 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Lucky Chow

Lucky Chow New Member

I find the center console armrest too low and too far back to rest my right arm on and hold the steering wheel. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm 6 feet tall and average proportions. I'm trying to think of what I could use to raise the level about 4 inches and extend it about the same forward. If anyone else has solved this issue, please tell me what you did.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

Same height, same problem. The door armrest isn't much better because it's also too far away. I've had this issue with many other modern cars. Their armrests are almost always useless to me. Some of this is caused by the fact that everyone is inserting a lot of dead space between the seat and armrests in order to allow room for side airbags to deploy. Not an issue on older cars without those airbags. Other than putting a pillow under your elbow, I don't think you'll find a solution.

4. Lucky Chow

Lucky Chow New Member

I figure there has to be something out there to help this issue so I went looking. The best solution I found was on Amazon. It's a console cushion that raises the height of the console. I purchased it and installed it this week. I've been very pleased with the result. Driving with the right hand is so much more comfortable now. Best $19 I've spent. Here's the one I got if you want to check it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773GTBWG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

porky likes this.
  5. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Would you mind posting a few pics to see how it looks in your Niro?

Thx!

6. Lucky Chow

Lucky Chow New Member

Here are some.
    IMG_6162.JPG

IMG_6165.JPG

Attached Files:

porky and davidtm like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lucky Chow

Lucky Chow New Member

I read somewhere that a couple of people have put some velcro on the bottom side and it never moves. I haven't noticed mine moving any, but may put a little velcro on it anyway.

9. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

What about the left arm? Part of the issue for me is that the seat can't go down far enough because of the battery reducing the interior floor space.

10. Lucky Chow

Lucky Chow New Member

Haven't seen anything for the left arm. Usually I'm resting my left elbow on top of the door with my elbow touching the window glass.

11. porky

porky Member

Thanks for the tip. I have the exact same problem.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

Similar situation with the Leaf but even worse. The center arm rest in the Leaf is very narrow and too far back. With the 9 and 3 o'clock position on the steering wheel the skinny end of the rest is digging into your elbow. To actually rest your arm on it you have to take your hand off the wheel to get back far enough. I've actually toyed around with the idea of removing it altogether. It's amazing that no one picked up on this in the prototype stage.