Stale Gas

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Technobody, Apr 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Technobody

Technobody New Member

I bought my Clarity in mid Nov 2019. I still have about 1/2 a tank of gas that the dealer put in when I bought the car. As you can tell I do most of my driving on EV mode. Would it make sense to put gas stabilizer in the gas tank?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The tank is pressurized to limit the effects of gas aging. It should be good for a year (and if the engineers were smart, they did what the Volt does, and have it run to use the gas occassionally). I'd probably not worry yet.

markc likes this.
  4. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Is the fuel in your tank 10% ethanol gas? If so, I'd add some Sta-bil to it.

I run 100% gas in my Clarity... 100% gasoline should remain good for over a year without any additional stabilizers.

insightman likes this.
  5. Technobody

Technobody New Member

I am in Ct. Yes my gas is 10% ethanol. I don't know anywhere around here selling 100% gas.

6. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Not necessary. The car knows what to do with old gas. It will burn it fine and hurt nothing. If it really bothers you, drive in HV for the next week to burn it out, top it off, and repeat every 6 months so you know the gas in it is never old.

markc and DaleL like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I've read that 100% gas is hard to find in many states, especially in New England. In the southwest, it's widely available at many stations, but at a premium cost of ~.20 cents higher than E10. I paid $1.49/gal for 100% gas when I purchased it last week. E10 currently $1.29.

9. Well, now you're just bragging :)

[Edit: I truly don't get out much anymore. I was thinking it was still above $2.00 around here. Gasbuddy has set me straight]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Mowcowbell likes this.
  10. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

Its not just hard to find, its illegal in Connecticut and many other states. Except racing gas ta $5 a gallon or whatever.

11. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

As one who drives 95% in EV with looong stretches between HV trips, I can say with certainty that the software does not behave like the Volt. The Volt is programmed to not let a tank of gas get more than what seems to be about one year old. As in it will run the ICE to burn it up whether you wont the ICE to run or not. The Clarity will, however, run the ICE periodically in what the manual states to be a System Check but these are infrequent and very short (just enough to warm up to operating temperature) and will not burn up enough gas over a year to lose a single bar on the gas gauge.

For most all of us, the small 7 gallon gas tank will be used frequently enough to never get stale. However, for the very few of us that drive predominantly in EV, the gas can stay in the tank for a long time. Because I am not comfortable with gas sitting around for more than 6 months (even in a pressurized system), I add Stabil to my tank. It’s cheap insurance and while you can argue about how much it’s needed or helping, it’s not doing any harm. And by the time any ill effects like varnish show up, it will be too late to do anything about it. So for us mainly EV and not so often HV drivers, I feel it’s better to be safe than sorry. Since I didn’t take any out of town trips this last year, I forced myself to run in HV (and gasp, tried HV Charge for the first time) just so the gas would not be older than one year.
    It’s also because I tend to keep my cars a long time. I hope one day my Clarity will feel like @insightman ’s old Insight and get a Viking funeral and big send off when it finally is no longer viable to keep on life support.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hey, the guy who bought my 13 year-old gen-1 Insight said it was the nicest one in his collection of 3 (which, of course, is not a reliable metric). No Viking funeral required. Still, I didn't think it was appropriate to keep as a daily driver anymore because Honda has stopped stocking some of its parts and the production run was too small to attract aftermarket manufacturers (although there are companies that offer rebuilt A/C compressors, etc.). The car was reliable, so I wasted my money on the $1200 Hondacare extended warranty. Still I bought an extended warranty on our Clarity PHEV.

I don't use Stabil; I go through about 3 tankfuls of ethanol-free gas a year, but that gas usage happens mostly in the winter. I fully charge my battery all the time, too. I'm just assuming the car is going to work without babying. That might be a mistake, but I tell myself that's what Honda expected (in lieu of telling myself I'm lazy).

KentuckyKen and Robert_Alabama like this.
  14. David Towle

David Towle Well-Known Member

I agree with your method of burning up the gas, I've never seen any proof that Stabil does anything.

insightman likes this.