Full Charge only got 390kms

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bill Nguyen, Apr 5, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. last night this is my 2nd time charging to 100%
    been owning vehicle for almost 5 mths and closing to 12000kms
    wake up in the morning checking the vehicle and only see 390Kms
    Could someone tell me what wrong or my battery slowly degraded?
    Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

As explained often in this forum and elsewhere, range is reported as an estimate based on past efficiency and current conditions. It will not always reach or exceed the EPA figure of 415 km. A Google search will yield plenty more info.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  4. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

wait till it warms up

5. Bill,
    Where are you? You should update your profile to city/state/province so we know how to help.

Where I live its nice and warm high 20s degC, so I'm getting well over 550km at the moment. Back in Winter it was 450km - our winters being, well, like summer for you, say 20C in the day.

If you are in Canada (??) then winter range will be lower still (heavy air, poorer battery performance)

Plenty of reading on this forum to explain.

6. I live in Port Coq, B.C. Canada
    last night was 4C

electriceddy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Please take a screen shot of your ECO history. You can get to it by choosing "EV" on the center console display, then "ECO DRIVING" and then select "EV ECONOMY HISTORY". You will get a screen that looks like the below screen. Either take a screen shot or write down the numbers and calculate the average km/kwh for the last 500 km. Once you have that number, multiply the km/kwh that you get by 64 and that should be close to what your GoM shows as the estimated range.
    20200405_230715.jpg
    20200405_230725.jpg

9. I always charge to 100%. I only recently achieved 390 km and am happy with it! Typical winter range for me is 360km so the recent upward trend, which comes with warmer weather, is welcome and is in line with my experience last winter. I fully expect my range to continue to rise to match last year as the Ontario Spring and Summer takes hold. I anticipate another 100km.

10. Today my GOM states 407 km @ 88% SOC, first time I charged to 89% in 2 weeks. 500 km should not be an issue in a month or so.;)

mho likes this.
  11. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

Mine is only 360km and I'm in BC too, charging to 90%. Like everyone said, mix of temperature, style and type of driving, climate control, etc. It will go up as it gets warmer.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

First drive of the year with no heating, 60-100 km/h, averaged 13.4 kWh/100 km which is equivalent to a range of 478 km.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Grego

Grego Member

I live in Richmond and Drive daily on HWY 17 to Port Kells. If I drive normally I get 450km but lately just for fun instead of driving ECO Mode I started driving for a whole month in Sports mode that alone brought it down to 360km(and the driving style didn’t help either) but as soon as I start driving normally where I get say 11.9-12.3 KW per 100km then my range goes nicely. I can achieve usually better mileage driving myself than say relying on Cruise Control.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

15. FloridaSun

My range is starting to go down a little as AC is now a necessity here in Florida. Unusually hot April so far.. Temperatures like in July.. Unbearably hot.. Yesterday was 95F/35C and forcast for today and tomorrow is 93F/34C..

17. Driving freeway #1 last 6 weeks
    From Port Coquitlam to North Shore Auto Mall using ACC around 110kms/hr I got around 16.5 to 18 kw per 100kms, is that good or bad.

18. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Seeing it's flat running using cruise control, then it is what you can expect from your car for the speed, driver choices, conditions and weather, in the normal range, neither good nor bad. You are asking for a simple answer to a complex question.
    As you head into summer temperatures, see if you get an improvement. If possible, try a slower road, see what improvement you get. Check your tire pressures are correct. Everything makes a difference, notice what is happening and keep a record. Over the year, you will get to know what to expect.
    You can't make exact comparisons with other owners experiences, even every time you drive it is different to the last time.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    SkookumPete likes this.
  19. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

So, in my world, that's 68 mph yielding 3.5 - 3.8 mi/kWh. At those speeds, that's at least respectable, and not bad, really.

20. FloridaSun

Simple math shows that you do not have any battery degradation. Even at the low end, if you divide 64 kw (useable battery size) by 16.5 and multiply by 100, you will get 387 km range, so your GoM is correct and you have no degradation.
    Once summer comes and you don't run the heater or AC and you drive more distance around town as opposed to highway speed, you will see your GoM range estimate skyrocket.. The 258 mile rated range is not for highway driving with the heater on.. The EPA number is an average for mixed driving.

21. Chuck salsgiver

Chuck salsgiver New Member

I'm having the exact same issue!!! Sucks