Genny for backup

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by XtsKonaTrooper, Apr 8, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. I would contact the company and find out if it provides a pure sine wave o/p (which it probably doesn't).
    It is also heavy - 117 lbs and would take a lot of space not including gas can etc and will probably be noisy ( I could not find the db in the specs).
    A link to pure sine wave generators and EVs
    https://www.diy-experts.net/charge-ev/
    Honda makes a good product with a pure sine wave o/p
    https://www.diy-experts.net/honda-eu2200i-review/
    50 lbs and 62 db max
    If you may require a generator back up for a long trip out in the boonies, I would steer in this direction but keep in mind 1760 W max continuous.
    Edit: not to say it won't work but it may cause issues with your charging equipment and possibly the car itself.

3. with most non inverter generators which this is given the price, the frequency and voltage tend to degrade as you approach max power. It is also only a 120 volt out put. the 30 amp out let is a tt-30 for travel trailers. I have a 4500 watt 240 volt generator and when I run my 2hp well pump on it the voltage drops to 208 and the frequency drops to about 52. The max you will probably be able to charge at is probably 20 amps at 120 volts if you can charge at all. That mean to charge up the car to 80 percent its going to take a couple of days of running the generator to charge the car. Not very efficient

KiwiME likes this.
  4. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Yeah prolly true.
    I bought at it $300, so if it doesnt work well, my main purpose will be power backup if our hydro goes out.
    I believe its 68db.
    The one off driving with it would be pretty rare but again good for portal emergency backup.
    I noticed I can run it at 20amps too,.
    Another thing I can do later is buy a sine wave inverter.
    I also got this feeling our hydro is gonna get maxed out with everyone running ac this summer in lockdown. So it will give me a little power and my wife can have power for cpap machine.

5. In case it has not been mentioned most portable generators have floating grounds and a properly engineered EVSE will fault out thinking there is a ground error.
    You can actually try physically grounding the generator or you can try to fool the EVSE with a plug that bonds the neutral to ground on the generator. https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/hack-charging-on-a-generator.9828/page-6 The only time I used a generator to power up my Kona was through a sine wave inverter at out farm. The inverter was physically grounded so no issue getting the EVSE to do its thing.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Yeah I am thinking getting an inverter as then I should be able to run it at 16amps. I know it's not inefficient but if I have no power, this can at least get me a charge.albeit slowly.

8. I would make sure what ever generator provides a "true sine wave" and not a "modified sine wave" and of course grounded properly.

mho likes this.