I Pace fire

Discussion in 'I-Pace' started by marshall, Dec 9, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Battery fires in EVs happen and compared to gas/diesel fires, tend to be local and intense. I've seen BMW i3 shells from fires that consumed the vehicle. But fire hazards come with any technology, especially the new.

Bob Wilson

3. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

The irony is that EV battery fires need to become more commonplace before they're no longer treated as news. Of course that will eventually happen, as EV sales grow over the coming years; but I think the statistics point rather strongly to battery-related EV fires happening considerably less frequently than gas/diesel-related fires in ICEVs. So it may take awhile.

It's sad that the news media does not report right along with every report about an EV fire that EVs are, and continue to be, much safer in terms of fire hazards than gasmobiles. It would be responsible reporting and a good public service if they would do so.
    :(

4. LowOnCash

LowOnCash New Member

Looks more like a electrical fire (low Voltage) than the traction battery since there is little evidence of fire in the rear of the car. Let's hope its an isolated problem.

5. dctrimble

dctrimble New Member

Agree that fires happen but EV Fires are pretty intense. It is a good reason to look forward to more LFP batteries in the future. Next year the MachE may have LFPs joining the model 3.

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Most of these EV fires are the result of one specific manufacturer which has lost significant market share over the past three years because of it. Throw out this manufacturer from the equations and you have a small number of fires. Edit: I absolutely refuse to purchase an EV that uses battery packs manufactured by this particular company. I think you all know which company I'm referring to.