Why are Tesla owners so arrogent?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Matt Shumaker, Mar 29, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Matt Shumaker

Matt Shumaker Active Member

Hey Guys,

Having a Tesla focused YouTube channel has been an interesting ride.

I have been uploading Mini Electric videos and the viewership has been minimal. Ok, fine..... However, many of the Tesla owners have been making really rude comments about the Mini.

What is thre deal? Isn't it a good thing that legacy manufacturers are getting into EVs?

When I talk to EV owners and tell them I have a Tesla, they are thrilled! When I tell a Tesla owner I have two other brand EVs along with my Tesla, they become condescending and rude. This is not a one time occurrence. It is the norm.

I'm sorry, but I am fast realizing Tesla owners largely have their noses in the air.

Anyone else here experienced this?

Matt

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I had one friendly Tesla Model S owner at a National Drive Electric Event who came to ask questions about my Clarity PHEV. That's one Tesla owner out of about 50 Tesla owners in the two years I've brought my Clarity to the event.

One Tesla owner on the Inside EVs Clarity forum said I should have been kicked out of the event for displaying a chart illustrating how the Clarity can use both electricity and gas on a long trip. He said that the whole purpose of the event was to encourage the use of electricity and discourage the use of gas. I admitted he had a good point, but I couldn't get him to agree that using no gas most of the time and a little gas some of the time was acceptable.

I fully understand the point of view of BEV owners who disparage fossil-fueled vehicles, but I cannot understand Tesla owners who feel it necessary to disparage all other BEVs. Teslas are great, but I want a compact, sporty BEV and Tesla doesn't make one of those.

If Elon ever does make a Model 2, I'm sure it will be good. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Model 3 owners have become so accustomed to their high horses that they also look down at Model 2 owners.

Thank you, Matt, for not being a typical Tesla owner and thank you for your great content on the MINI Cooper SE. I watch every video on the MINI multiple times. I've even watched a few of your Tesla videos.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  4. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Member

I've experienced both sides. Owned a Smart ED for two years before I bought our Tesla. The local Tesla owners club was very welcoming to me and I had very little negative feedback on my Smart ED, most was positive and appreciated the merits of a smaller vehicle with lower initial emissions to produce and lifetime use vs gas (and lower than any Tesla for short daily commute use).

I for one an truly interested in the variety of content on the Mini SE and other EV's, I subscribe to James and Kate (who also owned a Tesla and now have an MG ZS EV) and other non-Tesla oriented channels.

Hundreds of Tesla owners very positive on my non-Tesla EV, and only a very few dismissive. That's my experience.

5. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'd be surprised if the online trolls who hassle Matt for buying a MINI Electric would not be just as nice to him in person as the Tesla Owners Club members you met. Some people take advantage of internet anonymity to release a personality they normally keep hidden. I'm certain there are no nasty people who are nicer online than they are in person, but the opposite is likely to be true.

6. Matt Shumaker

I agree wholeheartedly!

I just feel like EVs are good for the world, PERIOD! Full stop.... Why are Teslas so superior? Remember, I have been driving a Tesla for 75,000 miles. I know what is good about them. I also know what is good about other EVs......

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

A) I don't own a Tesla and never have
    B) Not a problem with using gas some of the time, and that was not the issue (stating that you designed and handed out the chart to tweak the Tesla crowd was a factor)
    but no need to rehash that here

insightman likes this.
  9. Matt Shumaker

Woh! Looks like I stirred up a hornet's nest......