Recommendations: an EV News sites OTHER than InsideEVs?

Discussion in 'General' started by LiamMadyam, Mar 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. LiamMadyam

LiamMadyam New Member

Okay - I've finally had it. There has to be a better resource for EV news and trends. This site is consumed with Tesla, and while that's fine for some, there are a LOT of other EVs coming.

Maybe we can put together a decent list of news sources we can subscribe to that doesn't have a total-hard on for a single brand?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. InsideEVs.com carries a lot of Tesla news because for a few good reasons, but I think we do pretty well with coverage of other brands, if you compare us to our competitors. For instance, I just scrolled through the top titles this morning and got this:

BMW i4
    Tesla Model Y
    Global plug-in sales
    Tesla Gigafactory 4
    Tesla Gigafactory 3
    EVgo
    VW e-Golf
    Toyota EV factory in China
    Fiat 500 Electric
    NYC vehicle fleet electrification
    Renault Morphoz concept
    Europe plug-in car market
    Hyundai Kona Electric
    Aiways sales model
    Europe EV sales
    Tesla Model size comparo
    Sony electric SUV
    Mercedes plug-ins
    Tesla drag race
    Switch eScrambler

There are more Tesla posts than any other for sure, but as you can see, there are also plenty of other brands and news covered.

We publish more Tesla pieces than any other brand because being the largest EV-focused company, they make more news. Also, our readers want to read Tesla posts more than any other. As more manufacturers have more EV news to discuss, the ratio should improve.

As for other site suggestions, GreenCarCongress has long been a favorite of mine. It's very dry and covers more than just EVs, so isn't for everyone.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I have two alternate sources, not necessarily better:
    • YouTube - learns your interest and present similar videos
    • Yahoo Finance - using the stock code, they collect articles for investors
    Bob Wilson

5. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Here are my rejoinder

First there is a lot of activity in the Honda and Hyundai/Kia forums where there is a group of owners who are actively contributing and sharing ideas. Yes they have a focus but there is nothing wrong with it. So there is a lot of non Tesla activity.

Second, there are people who are very interested in a brand and are always posting about it e.g. Mini SE. So if there is a car that is coming you are interested in, you are welcome to become an evangelist for that. Or the Sondors car. Or Electric Airplanes.

Third, yes there is a lot of talk on Tesla and there some Tesla die hard's on the forum, but the fact of the matter is Tesla is the dominant EV model today. (Again, I sometimes find the unswerving loyalty among some to Tesla as strange and even irritating at times, but all sorts make up the world.) There is a lot to talk about Tesla as a simple fact.

Fourth, many of the models that you allude to are away in the distance or have come and faded out. There was a lot of talk about Jaguar I-Pace and the Audi-etron earlier. No one talks about them now as they are not popular. There was a lot of discussion on the Porsche Taycan, and we may see more discussion if it lives up to the hype. Else it will be consigned to the corner. If there is something to talk about, people will, especially if it is a great car. So as the models come closer, talk will increase.

Finally, I post a lot of articles of information to general EV audience. I have put comparisons, I have drawn attention to new developments as have others. Only a few of my posts are specific to Tesla. Like yesterday, I found that Fedex was buying Chinese EV trucks. @Domenick had recent discussion on battery technology. @bwilson4web has posted on charging in several forums. Similarly, there has been a lot of discussion on charging and charging stations in various forums.

If you believe that the forum does not have enough articles on other cars, you can help drive the discussion. Respond to posts. Add information as you find it. Ask for information on specific areas if you are interested and someone will help you with it. In other words, you will get what you put in to it.

I think it was Gandhi who said "Be the change you want to see..."

And if one post articles of interest, I usually read them and respond to them. So do others. And I will if you post also.

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Having been on a wide-cast hunt for any resources I could find as I got into my
    own buying process relatively recently, here's a boil-down of my bookmarks for
    sites I try to check up on semi-regularly, in no particular order:

* speakev.com
    * facebook.com/electrifiedgarage
    * thedrive.com
    * cleantechnica.com
    * longtailpipe.com
    * electrek.co
    * torquenews.com
    * greencarreports.com
    * chargedevs.com

And since I'm a Kona owner, I add these specifics, although some appear to
    be just about dead already:

* mykonaev.com
    * hyundaikonaforum.com
    * reddit.com/r/KonaEV/

Some number of the sites face frequent accusations of being whores/shills
    for particular brands, or anti-EV, or whatever ... haters are everywhere. I
    found these by simply googling for various EV topics and noting where
    I landed, and explored the relative merits of each site. I'd say hit a broad
    list, look around and see if you like it, and make your own set of favorites.

I landed here as a participant because it seemed to carry the best technical
    content from real-world users. I'm also considering the Kona EV area of
    hyundaikonaforum.com as another place to participate, because it seems
    to have a similar feel, several of the same people, and possibly adds perspective
    from the gasser Kona owners who basically have the same surrounding platform.

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I've learned more about EVs and how to operate and care for them on this forum site, than any other. And I frequent quite a few. There are some really knowledgeable and helpful people that hang around here.

9. Also don't hesitate to search manufacture related EV forums from Europe as they are far advanced compared to N/A , use google translate. Here is one for example:
    https://forums.automobile-propre.com/forums/hyundai-kona-électrique-71/
    I find insideevs news site to be current and covers a lot more than just Tesla, but as mentioned they are the premiere EV manufacture so most news would be so related.

10. bwilson4web

Guess I should list my daily forums too:
    Secondary forums visited when the others are quiet:
    • https://ecomodder.com - folks who try to 'roll your own'
    • https://forums.tdiclub.com - in response to the VW TDI users who came to PriusChat to share their thoughts, I returned the favor with just facts and data in the general forum.
    • Facebook - to keep in touch with friends and family
    • Twitter - to enjoy Elon's sense of humor and SpaceX videos
    • Google 'Science' and 'Technology'
    Bob Wilson

11. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I used to be a regular at TDIclub - back when I had a TDI (that I later sold back to VW). My wife still has hers, however. Dieselgate absolutely killed that community, but even now there are discussions here and there about EVs that I have found interesting.

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Harvey

Harvey Member

some sites i frequent about news other than here.
    youtube
    https://electrek.co/
    https://cleantechnica.com/
    this one slowed updates, but is back more regular.
    http://redgreenandblue.org/

and green car congress as above. it's more an overall tech though.
    including advancements in fossils.
    these keep pretty up to date of most things.
    i like the main page of here and elektrek probably the most for stories.

14. LiamMadyam

LiamMadyam New Member

After hating myself for visiting InsideEVs for so long, I finally stopped going there about two months ago. The articles have just become too clickbaity. The writers, it seems, act intentionally obtuse and present viewpoints (or omit information) meant to just fuel the fires within the comments section. They're less about news and more about "reader engagement". I couldn't take it anymore. I used to flip back and forth between InsideEVs and Electrek.co, but now I don't bother with InsideEVs. The Electrek forums can also have good debates, but they're not intentionally fueled by the editors.

15. Any examples of intentionally "omitted information" in comparison to any of the other news sites?:confused:
    Everybody has their own point of view, which IMHO being informed by multiple media outlets makes those sources more constructive and beneficial.

16. DonDeeHippy

DonDeeHippy Member

Inside EV's pretty well has every story that is happening . I read all the stuff in here first then I go to cleantechnica as well, they also have a few good Renewable pieces and I like their opinion writers .
    Teslerati have good space X stuff.

17. gooki

gooki Well-Known Member

I feel your pain.

In addition to insideevs
    cleantechnica
    electrik
    teslarati
    fuelcellsworks - for a laugh - and a cry

18. ITown

ITown Active Member

I use Electrek and Cleantechnica primarily. Occasionally I'll read stuff on InsideEVs but definitely not one I read daily.

19. bwilson4web

I appreciate InSideEV news as an often amusing list of news bits. Not so much definitive but as a broad splattering of what is going on.

The forum works for me because of the other members. The signal-to-noise ratio makes posting here well worth the effort.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  20. LiamMadyam

LiamMadyam New Member

Everybody has their own point of view, which IMHO being informed by multiple media outlets makes those sources more constructive and beneficial.