Ran it out of gas

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Phil_Meyers, Mar 1, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

Some sputtering then some error messages come on the screen. Later went to fill it up. Took 7.15 gallons. Back to normal.

fotomoto likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Did you do this on purpose as an experiment? How far did you travel after the tank went dry?

4. Phil_Meyers

Phil_Meyers Active Member

It was on purpose, I drove another ten miles or so. It was rather all anti-climatic but I guess that's good.

insightman likes this.
  5. GV Ottawa

GV Ottawa Member

I've done this several times when returning home from highway driving trips - ie. drove the car in HV mode until the gas ran out and then it automatically switched to EV mode and continued driving completely normally - I've gone 30 to 40 kms in pure EV mode after the gas ran dry. Once I get close to home I stop at a gas station to fill the tank again.

My only caution would be to ensure that you have sufficient EV range in reserve to get yourself to a gas station!!

neal adkins likes this.
  6. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

It is not a good idea to have the fuel pump on without gas. The pump uses gas as a coolant to cool the propeller.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

"It is not a good idea to have the fuel pump on without gas. The pump uses gas as a coolant to cool the propeller."

I seem to remember this car does not have a fuel pump but a pressurized fuel system.

9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

The tank is pressurized. But there is also a fuel pump at the tank to get the gas to the eng. PN:17045-TRW-A00
    Cost about $350 and a pain to replace since you will need to drop the entire tank to get to the pump. :(

10. JCA

JCA Active Member

Given that the computer carefully controls when the engine is on and off and how fast it runs, and knows enough to flash up warning messages when the engine cuts out unexpectedly, I'm 99% certain that it would automatically shut off the fuel pump when the engine stops for any reason.

Everything I can find about fuel pumps burning up when run out of gas are from old cars/trucks where people left the key "on" while stranded at the side of the road, and the fuel pump kept running for a long time. I'm pretty confident that a brief moment of running dry won't hurt it, and that "sludge" at the bottom of the tank can't somehow get sucked up (anything settled would get sucked up at any level if it could, and I doubt there's a lot of floating debris in most tanks.

But I'm not a mechanic or Honda engineer, so don't blame me either way :)