Would you still buy 2020 Clarity Plug In or Something else?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by sarosam, Feb 27, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. sarosam

sarosam New Member

I am almost set to pull the plug on buying 2020 Clarity. But, there is a BUT. Some of the reviewers seem puzzled why this car even exists and how its bulky and "less" efficient compared to almost all hybrid sedans out there, but I think they don't get it.....none of these more "efficient" hybrid or plug in cars have electric range close to Clarity so for most average commuters, they wont need to put in polluting gas in Clarity most of the times, except on long trips.
    On the other hand, there are some other good reviews out there, but from when Clarity first came out or was still "newer" and comparision was with 2018/19 models of other cars, while Clarity hasnt much changed since.
    Is any car out there or coming soon that can compare to Clarity in terms of Plug in capabilities, and overall value?
    So for the owners of 2018/19 Clarity, if you were to buy, would 2020 Clarity still make sense? Is buying new Clarity is still good idea or I am missing something here?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

I am only six months in with my Clarity and I would do it again. You hit the nail on the head. Other manufacturers dont get it.

Screenshot_20200227-181011.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

vicw and sarosam like this.
  4. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Folks say Toyota RAV4 plugin hybrid should be available July time period. The article I read, believe it said 40 miles all electric range.

I do not, at all regret buying Clarity. Also, don't know if the RAV4 will really be available then, and don't like the idea of giving up EV range.

As it is, in the winter, I can still commute almost entirely without burning gas.

sarosam likes this.
  5. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

None of the others are nearly as spacious inside as the Clarity, either. Size comes with some drawbacks, one being less mileage on gas.

6. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

The only possible replacement I've seen is the upcoming Rav4 with 39 miles of EV range. That is inadequate for us. I would find it difficult to give up the Clarity which I enjoy so much.

If the Rav4 had been designed for 50 miles of EV range I would be very tempted to make that switch. My reasons are we had a Honda CR-V which was one of our favorite cars. We liked the higher sitting position, cargo space, and overall comfort. The new Rav4 has a spare tire under the cargo area which is a very bit attraction for me.

No other car comes close to the Clarity for us.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Danks

Danks Active Member

I would certainly get a 2020 Clarity if in the market again. I see nothing else out there close enough to seriously consider.

insightman likes this.
  9. RickSE

RickSE Active Member

2528DEF5-0360-41B0-914E-3D8166BF3818.jpeg 1.5 years in on my 2018 and I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    insightman likes this.
  10. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

If I were in the market for a PHEV sedan, the Clarity is epic good and I would buy a 2020 for sure. For better or worse, my wife and I prefer AWD SUVs, so we recently sold our '18 Clarity and jumped into the SUV PHEV market. There are lots of SUV PHEVs or truck PHEVs coming on the market in the next 2-4 years, with most manufacturers except Honda planning to join the fray. But again, if a sedan floats your boat, don't pull the plug on the Clarity.

sarosam likes this.
  11. Bruce J Deeter

Bruce J Deeter New Member

I'm over 6 months into mine and also would do it again in heartbeat. Got about 3500 miles on it. Mostly around town driving, all electric mode. Very responsive. Taken two trips out of town where I had to go in Hybrid mode, ran beautifully, about 50 MPG per the readout. I've put maybe 16 gals of gas in it total. I traded in a 2014 Camaro for the 2019 Clarity. Trade-in along with the rebates and Tax credit the car will have a net cost of just under $9,000. With the Camaro, same type of driving, I was putting 16 gals in every two weeks, and that was premium grade.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tdude

Tdude New Member

If you really want PHEV, Clarity is a way to go. I am more than half way through my lease and will be replace clarity with Tesla

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Clarity is the best unknown PHEV available. Range, comfort, features (to some extent), price (YES!), brand name. At this time it simply cannot be beat.

We are waiting for the RAV 4 PHEV. If it is not priced stupidly it will probably replace our 2008 Sorento, which I dearly love. One of the best vehicles I've ever owned, but that 39 miles electric blows away $50 to fill a tank. No commute (retired), but our everyday trips will be covered mostly by that range. So we will be using even less fossil remains.

Sitting higher is a plus as well. I like seeing more of the idiots around me when driving. Gives more time to avoid the worst of them.

15. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

I'm coming up on 2 years, just hit 23,000 miles, and would buy one again with no hesitation!

Nemesis likes this.
  16. Yes, I would. Warts and all, which are mostly subjective and mostly insignificant.

It’s not a sports car or an SUV.

I don’t know what incentives Honda will be offering on the 2020. For 2019 they offered discounts of $4-6K and some dealers offered additional discounts. Combined with Federal, State and local incentives, the net cost of the car can be 40% or more below MSRP.

As far as operating costs, some owners have reported that is is less costly to drive on gas than electric due to low fuel costs and electricity rates. EV range also diminishes in cold weather, so that could tilt the scales for some as well.

Nothing else in a 4 door sedan offers the battery capacity (max fed credit) or size and comfort.

17. Paddy

Paddy Member

Almost a year now. I am pretty happy with my choice. The only problem is the engine screaming on gas. But that’s all right. Can’t go back to fossil fuel cars anymore. Tesla would be an option if I replace my another car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Yes, I would. Warts and all, which are mostly subjective and mostly insignificant.

It’s not a sports car or an SUV.

I don’t know what incentives Honda will be offering on the 2020. For 2019 they offered discounts of $4-6K and some dealers offered additional discounts. Combined with Federal, State and local incentives, the net cost of the car can be 40% or more below MSRP.

As far as operating costs, some owners have reported that is is less costly to drive on gas than electric due to low fuel costs and electricity rates. EV range also diminishes in cold weather, so that could tilt the scales for some as well.

Nothing else in a 4-door sedan offers the battery capacity (max fed credit) or size and comfort.

19. sarosam

sarosam New Member

Thanks guys. RAV4 Prime is not consideration for me at the moment. Like driving SUV and sedan maybe equally, but looking to replace my commuter car with another Sedan.

insightman likes this.
  20. I lost my Chevrolet Volt of 6 years to a red light runner last summer. In those six years, I could do my 38 mile commute electrically for the 9 warmer months, and burned maybe 9 gallons of gasoline for range extension and cabin heat during the winter months.

My daughter bought a Clarity Touring two years ago and it's wonderful.

Please cite a review that criticizes the Clarity for its inefficiency.

I have a 2020 Touring on order and have found no other car that will accomplish what my Volt did for the money.

sarosam and insightman like this.
  21. Groves Cooke

Groves Cooke Active Member

I have had mine for 18 months (25,000). I would do it again.

22. S L .

S L . Active Member

I’m on my 2nd clarity now. Best ev range, comfortable ride, best price, biggest trunk, base model is fully loaded... Don’t compare it to a hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

23. Lowell_Greenberg

Lowell_Greenberg Active Member

Yes, No, Maybe. The Clarity is a reliable, quiet, comfortable car that is efficient and has a superb EV range. It is a bit unusual on how it utilizes EV, HD and Engine modes- and often benefits from user intervention in mode selection. It is not usually stocked at dealers, but is available via special order. It was sold at a steep discount in 2019, and this has probably impacted depreciation values. Honda does not promote the car, and it is unclear when it may be discontinued.

At the right price, it is a solid PHEV value and is recommended. If you want a BEV, than a Tesla Model 3 or Hyundai Kona/Kia Niro is probably the way to go. Though they all have tradeoffs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk