Considering Niro EV EX for Hot Daily Commute

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by azyotesfan, Feb 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. azyotesfan

azyotesfan New Member

I believe I'm about settled on getting a Niro EV EX, but wanted some input on what the real world range might be. I would be commuting 110 miles round trip each day for work in Phoenix area. Most of it will be freeway driving at 70 to 75 mph hours (just keeping up with traffic) with need for full AC most of the year. Does anyone have any idea how much impact the conditions I'm describing will have on range?

I realize it will impact economy, but I'm primarily considering buying it to reduce overall stress and impact of a long commute. I think the Niro EV will do that by saving time with access to the HOV lane (only available for single drivers with alt fuel vehicles), smart cruise with stop & go, other safety features, avoiding fill-ups, oil-changes, and annual smog checks. I think all that will add up to a faster, less stressful commute and easier ownership then gas car.

Also, the best deal I've found on a car is from WA with cold weather package. I could get one from CA for $400 less, but I'm thinking for resale, the few cold January mornings (35 degrees), and for possible trips north in winter it would be worth having. Is there any disadvantage to having it in a hot climate other then a little extra weight?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback from others, but here are my thoughts. First, of all, I don't think you'll need the cold weather package. It's barely cold enough in the Seattle area to warrant having it, so I would save some money and buy a California model.

I haven't driven mine in that fashion, but it would mean that you'd want to leave with the car charged to 100% every day. And it wouldn't hurt to have charging available while you're working so that you don't get range anxiety on you way home. Probably a lousy way to end the day...

I am guessing that driving at 70 to 75 MPH with full AC would reduce the potential range from 239 down to about 220, right on the edge of your expectations. Having said that, the car at 100% SoC is often claiming it can go 260 miles or better, but what about 1 - 2 years later if the batteries have lost some percentage of their full capability from constantly charging & discharging to 100%?

I don't like to say this, because I like my Niro EV, but you probably need to think about buying a Tesla instead. We drove down to the Oregon coast and lost track of the number of Teslas we saw, mostly Model S's.

4. RDA

RDA Member

IF your ROUND TRIP is 110 miles you will have no problem with the Niro. You just have to charge at home at night so you need a level two charger installed in your garage. I have had mine since last April and easily get 240-260 in cold weather here on the East coast. In the summer I was getting close to 285-300. Even with the A/C on you will have no problem with a 110 mile RT.

Domenick and jeff_h like this.
  5. azyotesfan

azyotesfan New Member

Round trip is 110 miles, but you have confirmed what I expected that forgetting to charge will likely produce range anxiety the next day. However, in that case I could get to work and then do a fast charge before the return trip in the evening.
    It's 110 miles round trip. If it was 220 a day total I would be moving closer to work. :)

6. azyotesfan

azyotesfan New Member

On the the charger, is there any reason to get a 40a instead of 32a? The ClipperCreek shows 40a as a "Future Proof" option, but I don't think the Niro can handle it now or be upgraded later to benefit from it. I guess if I traded for something else down the road it may help, but apart from that it seems like the ClipperCreek HCS-40P, Plug-in 32A, Level 2 EVSE, 240V, NEMA 14-50 plug is the way to go.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well, not sure if paying extra for the 40A is worth it at this point in time. I actually regret buying my 32A EVSE 8 months ago, because they are a lot cheaper now, with better technology and options. And I have yet to use it (free charging all over where I live).

9. TandM

TandM Active Member

I think the cold weather package is a brilliant idea actually. The heat pump makes the operation of the air conditioner more efficient as well (which in turns helps save range. And you are correct, for resale it could be a factor as well (especially since so many EVs seem to resale best online so who knows where the vehicle might live in the future).

As for the type of driving you are describing, I would say that is comparable to what I was driving routinely last summer and fall and my range was clearing 300 miles (often 90+ degrees outside, 75 mph on the freeway (90% of the driving I was doing was freeway), 150 to 175 miles each direction on my drive so 300 to 350 round trip). On days I did have to do the 350 mile round trip I did charge one time at the 246 mile mark (I know the exact mile mark because that was the only EVSE on my drive sans the ones at the start in the major metro I live in).

10. Totally agree on that the Cold Weather package is not a bad idea if you anticipate to traveling up north in the winter.
    I purchased mine from Seattle area, since dealers on the east side of the state don't get the Niro EV. They delivered it to my front door for a pretty reasonable $300.
    PM me if you want to compare notes.

FYI, Seattle is at the base of a sizable mountain range. Many of the surrounding communities ABSOLUTELY need the Cold Weather package.

11. azyotesfan

azyotesfan New Member

I'm getting a quote for $800 to deliver from Everett to Seattle which seems like a great deal. Especially because they have a lot of 2019's still left and I'd be getting a new Niro EV Ex including shipping for $36,033 + Arizona tax and title once it gets here. Subtract the $7,500 federal tax credit and I'm right around the quote I got locally for a non-plugin Prius which won't get me an HOV lane plate. After I subtract the lower cost of ownership / operation, buying anything else that would get me the smart cruise with stop/go and other must have safety features would cost me more. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a heck of deal on these right now even with having to pay to ship it here.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

Sorry, I must've answered before I had coffee. Yeah, 110 each way would be a bit much, 110 round trip is probably not uncommon these days. Yeah, the Niro makes sense for you. Although some complain, I find the seats to be quite comfortable although I've only been on a couple of 75 mile drives, but I sit in traffic quite a bit. I find it fun to drive, so many different ways to drive it with the drive modes and various regenerative braking settings.

I messed up on that charger thing. I already had a 50 amp circuit available (my son thought maybe a welder someday?) so he helped me install the 15-40 outlet and we were done. I thought that the car or the wiring or something would require that I buy a ClipperCreek HC-40P, but have recently learned that the 32A equivalent would have been fine. I had an idea that if I ever road tripped with the car and needed to stop at a campground for a L2 charge, I would just take the charger with me, but now I have learned a bit more about charging and I'm sorry I went too high. I am 62 and soon to be living on a fixed income, so future proofing was not of value since I doubt I'll be buying any more electric cars. I preferred ClipperCreek as a company for their level of support and reputation for quality builds.

14. TheHellYouSay

TheHellYouSay Member

Man, I wish I would've had the patience to wait. I paid north of $40K, but I at least waited until the sales tax break was in effect starting on 8/1. Between sales tax break and the full $7500, it brought it down by $10k, but it would have been better to wait until December, but I was worried people would swoop them up and I wanted one bad.

It does get cold near Seattle, and many other places many other places even further south. I'm happy I have the cold weather package and I probably downplayed the value of it a bit much. I believe they all have active battery management systems, so that was an important consideration for me.

15. azyotesfan

azyotesfan New Member

Not sure why I typed delivery to Seattle. I meant to say $800 to deliver from Everett to Phoenix.

jeff_h likes this.
  16. niro525

niro525 Member

My 110ish round trip commute takes ~40% battery. I charge it up to 90% and I get home at around 50%. Every 10% is ~7kWh or ~21 Miles (~3mi/kWh * 7kWh). That's current winter 35-40F conditions.

Be aware the heat pump takes a minute or two before you feel the cold/warm air coming out. Once it gets going, it feels comfortable.

32 amp is sufficient for charging, providing 7.2 kW. 40 amp charger gives me 7.6 kW. Not a noticeable difference since the car is charging while you sleep.

17. azyotesfan

azyotesfan New Member

Is there a reason you charge to 90% and not 80%? I thought it was recommended to charge t 80% for regular charging to extend battery life?

Electra likes this.
  18. CR EV

CR EV Active Member

I like ClipperCreek, good simple unit and excellent pre-sale service communication. Also, I would not worry about a 110 mile total commute....you will not need to charge to 100%, 70 or 80 will do it.

niro525 and jeff_h like this.
  19. niro525

niro525 Member

Correct. 80% is the rule of thumb for battery health. My driving routes can be unpredictable sometimes. I would rather have the extra range for the rare chance I have an unexpected trip. I want to minimize my travel costs by avoiding DCFC chargers and relying on my time of use electricity (TOU: ~$0.06/kWh 100% green renewables).

20. Barry W Finger

Barry W Finger New Member

My 2 cents - I’ve driven my Niro EV through a hot summer and moderate winter in Houston and I fly to Phoenix once a month for work.

Get the winter package as the heat pump will be far more efficient in the winter compared to resistance heating like I have. My efficiency is at least 1 mi/kW-hr less when heating as compared to cooling. Also, if the winter package adds battery heating, that will help as well.

Get the 40A circuit - you will kick yourself later if you do need the higher current capacity but can’t use it because it is too small.

And on the range anxiety, I’m highly confident you will adapt quickly and settle into a charging routine that works for you, even if occasionally you have to stop of for a Level 2 charge away from home. I can tell you after 6 months of driving my EV, I’ve never forgotten to charge it when needed. It’s the same as how you don’t run out of gas in your ICE powered car now - you are used to looking at the fuel level and it is 2nd nature to check it and fill up when it is low.

jeff_h and azyotesfan like this.
  21. azyotesfan

azyotesfan New Member

Thanks to everyone on the forum for the input. I've purchased the Nero EV EX Premium and already installed the Clipper Creek with the 40A circuit. Now just waiting on the car to be delivered. I'll post again in a week or so after I've gotten it and had a few days with it.

Domenick, ZoomSmith, davidtm and 2 others like this.
  22. Congratulations on your fine decision. I hope you enjoy your Niro EV as much as I have enjoyed mine. I got mine at the end of August.

23. azyotesfan

azyotesfan New Member

Quick update.... One day with my new Nero EX EV Premium and I love it. With COVID panic the daily commute has yet to be tested out as everyone is working from home, so haven't experienced that yet. Mostly a few short trips around town, but I love how it drives and handles. Very solid ride with that 1000 lbs of batteries. :)

ZoomSmith, jeff_h and Domenick like this.