Charging port open

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Llorgon, Feb 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Llorgon

Llorgon Member

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone else has been running into this.

Our Kona has been saying charge port open when it's actually closed.

Unplug charger, put caps back, close charge port, start car, car says charge port is open. Get out and open close it a few times eventually it registers as closed. But while driving if I go over uneven road, speed bump, anything that jostles the car. That message comes up.

This is day 2 of owning the car so it might be user error

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. WELCOME!
    Owned our Kona (US) EV since May 2019 and have about 5000 miles on it and have never seen that happen.
    Could be:
    Switch / Door adjustment (not sure if it adjustable)
    Faulty switch
    Bad connection
    Loose or broken wire to name a few things to check.

Let us know what you find out

4. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I got that message a few times but it was my fault as the charge door really wasn't fully closed.. May either need adjustment or a switch replaced. Doesn't sound like a big deal.
    Just bring it to your dealer and they should be able to determine what needs to be done.. They may have to order the part as I don't think that EV parts are usually in stock..

5. Llorgon

Llorgon Member

I made sure it was closed and closed tightly. I think we will take it to the local hyundai dealership on the Saturday and see if they can look at it.

KiwiME likes this.
  6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

There should be two audible microswitch "clicks" deep within the hinge structure
    just as the charge door starts to press the visible latch piece near the LED
    indicator and button. Work it back and forth a couple of times and watch /
    listen carefully, from down low peeking in through the narrow crack. When it
    clicks the second time toward the "open" direction, the LED ring around the
    port and the three-segment battery indicator should go on, and off when it's
    toward closed. Perhaps one of your hinge switches is bum?

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

make sure the connector plugs are pushed in all the way start with the bottom one then the top one.

electriceddy likes this.
  9. Llorgon

Llorgon Member

Well we haven't had any issues with it since Sunday. So I am guessing it was user error.

Double checked the connector plugs all seem properly closed

hobbit, the door seems to open and close as expected. I just must not have closed it well on Sunday.

10. tjkvt

tjkvt New Member

2019 limited, 31,000miles."Charging door open" message stays on even though the door latches securely and both plug caps are in place. I have cleaned out all dust from charging port area, the door and the door hinge. I could ignore the message but the 12 warning beeps that come on each time the car is started, the brakes applied, the wipers activated, etc. are annoying, especially in city driving. Any suggestion as to how to disable the warning beeps (and message) or how to diagnose and fix the problem would be greatly appreciated. The only Kona EV dealer in my state can't get to it until mid-October.

electriceddy likes this.
  11. I have no access to the wiring diagram and did look under the hood for the connector with the leads from the door closed sensor, but could not locate.
    The wires are the 2 on the bottom right coming from the latch itself:
    [​IMG]
    which is located within the door assembly itself (non-accessible without front nose removal):
    [​IMG]

It does indeed sound like that contact is not working. If it were my car and had to listen to all those warnings, I would start troubleshooting by checking continuity of the motor compartment (2) fuses labelled "Charger2" (ICM relay box, (Charge Lock/Unlock Relay), CCM Unit) 10A, and Charger 1 fuse (Charge Connector Door Module) 10A, as listed in the owner's manual. If the fuses are good, possibly by leaving one of them out (probably the Charger 1 fuse) the warning beeps may be eliminated. Of course, the fuse would have to be re-inserted when charging.
    Thanks to @KiwiME for the above photos.

JoeS, navguy12 and KiwiME like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. tjkvt

tjkvt New Member

Thank you electriceddy. I actually went to the motor compartment fuse box last week and pulled the Charger 1 fuse (10 amp). That did the trick. No warning message or sound. The ringlight around the charge port and the horizontal green bars also stopped working. A small inconvenience. Interestingly the car charges normally with all the indicators on the dash and screen working properly. I'll leave the permanent solution to the dealer next month. For now I am a happy driver.

KonaAU, navguy12 and electriceddy like this.
  14. Thanks for the confirmation, (if) when it happens to me, that will be the fuse to pull:)
    Edit: so the car still charges without the fuse?

15. tjkvt

tjkvt New Member

Yep, still charges normally both a/c levels 1 & 2 and d/c fast.

KonaAU and navguy12 like this.
  16. I am going to add this info to the "repair issues and fixes" sticky thread at the top, for easier look up. I can see this becoming more common as the charge port assembly has this weak point and could take some time before a replacement is available;)

navguy12 likes this.
  17. richard morin

richard morin New Member

Même problème sur mon Kona
    Je confirme enlever le fusible fonctionne
    Merci pour l'info

18. tjkvt

tjkvt New Member

de rein