Service Due in 7 Months...

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by phev_one, Mar 31, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. phev_one

phev_one New Member

Wow, talk about advanced notice. Today my Clarity displayed the notice that Service was due in 7 months. Its exactly 5 months since my purchase date. Guess I better put it on my calendar :eek:

I don't recall seeing any other posts about this advance service notice.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ClarityDoc

ClarityDoc Active Member

Mine also told me that at about 5 months of ownership so I figured it'd be near its birthday (in May) ... but when my odometer reached 7000 miles, suddenly my service was needed 2 months sooner than had been predicted. My amount of driving hadn't changed.

I think 1 year or 7000 miles, whichever comes first, seems to be the pattern based on comments I've seen here and elsewhere.

4. phev_one

phev_one New Member

I got a good laugh when I saw it. Hard to believe someone at Honda thought Clarity owners needed 7 months advance notice of pending service. I have three other Hondas with low annual mileage and only get service notices when they are actually due.

5. Teslawannabe

Teslawannabe Active Member

I just did my first A01 service, and cleared my service reminder. Now it says it is due in seven months. ???
    Sent from my SM-N960U using Inside EVs mobile app

6. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Many have reported, and I can verify, that the oil change part of that notice can be extended by resetting the other notices like tire rotation. This is because the Maintenance Minder will move up some sevice(s) up before they are due to coincide with the one that is due. Honda claims that’s due to their altruism wanting to save us multiple trips to the dealer and not to pad their bottom line. You can decide on that! Unfortunately, the advance notice doesn’t tell you which one(s) are coming due until you’re much closer (or at least I haven’t been able to find it).

WHIW, with less than 8,000 miles a year and 95% of that in EV, the MM lets me go within a week of a full year on the oil change if I reset the tire rotation which seems to occur at about 7,000 or 7,500 miles.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. KentuckyKen

Just got lazy with the cold weather and paid my mechanic $24 to do the AO 1, 2 service using my oil and filter. (Must be getting old) Also had him torque the lug nuts instead of just going brrrrrrt with the pneumatic wrench. And even more amazing, I got the 1 million step Maintenance Mode engine start right on the first try.
    Maintenance Minder now says next service at 8 months which I assume will be a tire rotation based on previous experience

9. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

If you turn on the car and leave it park, you can access the maint menu and it will tell you when things are due and to rest it.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  10. KentuckyKen

Mine only tells me the specific items when they are due or close to being due. Right now all it says is “Service Due In 8Months” and “No Item”.
    That’s by going to Settings, Vehicle, Maintenance Info. on that info-tainment screen.
    How are you getting it to show individual maintenance items and their due dates this far out?
    I can’t get mine to do it.

11. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I changed my oil today in the Clarity. 1 year since I bought it new, a little over 6600 miles on the odo. 3.3 qts of Mobil 1 0w-20 and a Bosch 3323 oil filter. Changing the oil was really easy, removing the aero pan underneath the engine was simple enough. The Honda OEM filter was a little tight from the factory, but came off with a little extra muscle. The 17mm oil drain plug was just snug, not crazy tight. The oil was still light brown, I have only done a few road trips with about 1000 miles total in HV mode.

I used the maintenance mode combo pedal to get the oil warmed up. Got it to start on the first try (!).

Used maintenance mode after the change so I could run the ICE and check for leaks. Backed it off the ramps, shut off the ICE and checked oil level. 3.3 qts put it right in the middle between the two dots on the dipstick.

Something I noticed about the engine running in maintenance mode. It will charge the battery, even if above 57%. My battery was at 90% when I started maintenance mode. Running the engine for about 5 minutes changed my battery state of charge from 90 to 93%.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.