Modifying system settings??

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Feb 19, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

For some of the cars that I have owned, there were aftermarket programs for your laptop (in addition to a OBD2 connector) so that you could manipulate various parameters of your engine management system (like timing, Air/fuel ratio etc.). Does something like this exist for the Kona.. I really would like to set my DC maximum charge to 75KW to get cheaper billing at Electrify America...
    There has to be a way to do that.. Does anyone know if there is such software that works with the Kona Electric..

Joev likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I would also like to find a way to limit the DC charge rate.....
    Anyone have any idea's?
    Thanks for getting this thread started BlueKonaEV.

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

There is an "Engineering Mode" that you can access on the video screen. There are youtube videos that show how to enter this. Some of the menus are in Korean.

But i haven't seen any sign of anything to limit DC charge rate. Not that I have looked.

Joev likes this.
  5. "Communication is based on a 1 kHz ±12 V pulse-width modulated (PWM) pilot signal. The EVSE generates the 12 V signal. When the charging plug is properly engaged, the EV places a resistive load that drops the voltage to 9 V. The EVSE then applies PWM and adjusts the duty cycle to indicate its own output current rating. This is the maximum charging current the vehicle is permitted to draw" https://www.digikey.ca/en/articles/techzone/2018/mar/bringing-evs-into-the-smart-grid-for-stability-and-security I suppose if you knew the voltage variables a smart person could apply an electronic interface or perhaps just a resistor that intercepted the the pilot signal between the car 's charge receptacle and the DCFC connector that spoofed the DCFC it into thinking the car required less max charge than it currently does.

[​IMG]

6. If you have had any recent dealer firmware updates be prepared to be password locked out of this mode. I know my 2020 is locked out.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I suppose one could put a camera in the car before taking it in for service. No guarantee the password us the same for everyone, however.

9. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

That's only for AC charging. DC charging uses a much more (unnecessarily) complex protocol.

electriceddy likes this.
  10. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/ev/dcfc/

The BMS is likely the gating factor, taking temps and SOC and
    phase of the moon and whether the car's facing east or not into
    account. The place to intervene would most likely be on the CANbus
    going to the fast-charge controller, changing *one* "max charge rate"
    packet into some lower value at initial handshake.

Unfortunately the cost/time-factor to engineer this would probably
    buy a lot of overpriced EA charging sessions. It seems a better use
    of time to keep leaning on EA and the rest to bill by kWh instead.

_H*

apu and hwitten like this.
  11. FloridaSun

There has to be a certain parameter that limits maximum charge. The maximum charge ia a fixed value. Once charging starts, actual draw depends on many conditions like battery temp, SoC etc..
    The initial handahake contains a fixed maximum that has to be somewhere in the software..

Joev likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Yeah, the person that finds that and how to change it will certainly be a hero with this crowd. And even better, if you can give a lower max charge for the handshake, but then accept a higher charge anyway.

But I don't think that dream will come true. More likely, the charging station just identifies your car brand/model, looks it up in a table and says, oh yeah a Hyundai Kona, can accept up to 100 kV, and that's how we will bill them.

14. FloridaSun

I doubt that they identify the brand.. what I've read is that the car tells the charger what it's maximum charge rate is..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020