EV Truck Battles in 2020-2022: Rundown on the Competitors (My rankings)

Discussion in 'General' started by interestedinEV, Feb 16, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

I saw this article and decided to put my take on it. Several EV trucks are slated to come out in in the next 1-2 years. (https://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/features/story/2020/feb/16/hummer-tesla-breaking-down-electric-truck-battle/816839/ )

Here is how I vote for it (please feel free to do your ratings.) My ratings are based on who is most likely to deliver in volumes and at the price they claimed

#1 Tesla Cyber truck. This is a hands on favorite as it is a Tesla and reasonably priced ($39,000-$69,000) and likely to have the best range and will have Autopilot

[​IMG]

# 2 GMC Hummer. This was a close call with a Rivian. Similarly priced and Rivian has big order backlog. I vote for GMC as they have larger marketing and manufacturing muscle than Rivian
    We do not know much about it. I do not like the supposed shape and most details will be available on May 20, 2020. Not sure about Autonomous driving

# 3 Rivian R1T Great Backing (Amazon, Ford, Rowe Price, Cox Automotive), designed as a EV ground up, autonomous driving, higher priced and start up troubles

[​IMG]
    # 4 Bollinger Motors. At least they have a product, low volumes as they are hand made, extremely expensive ($125 K) but will appeal to Hummer purists who are disappointed with the GM offering

upload_2020-2-16_9-14-49.png

# 5 Ford F-150 Electric. They have put it off for some time and no details so I am putting them as number 5, may be a day late and dollar short

[​IMG]

# 6 Lordstown Endurance. They bought a GM plat, but management is all over the place so I put them down the list

upload_2020-2-16_9-17-58.png

upload_2020-2-16_9-13-39.png

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

No real problem with your ranking but one caveat about the EV Hummer. The one image I've seen, it looks like the transplant of a Hummer front on to a regular pickup.

I briefly thought about making a foam-and-fiberglass 'mask' that could be attached to my Tesla or BMW i3. Then show up at different shows offering it as a 'whistler' since Hummer is probably trademarked. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Back in the day, you could get a replacement hood for a Beetle that looked sort of like the hood of a Rolls:

[​IMG]
    All in good fun, but Rolls sued them. Not like anyone would honestly mistake one for the other.

https://jalopnik.com/rolls-royce-once-sued-a-company-for-making-beetles-look-1684248416

bwilson4web likes this.
  5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

And all this reminds me of that Russian guy who took some old beater of a truck and welded a whole bunch of sheet steel to the thing to make it sort of look like a Cybertruck. For some reason I never quite understood, the old beater of a truck had previously been encased in concrete.

https://insideevs.com/news/393070/garage-54-tesla-cybertruck-english-video/

The guy clearly has a whole lot more spare time on his hands than I do.

6. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

@

Bob (@bwilson4web ) may be you can copy this fold up toy of a cybertruck and blow it up and put it on your hood. I know you do not want a cybertruck, you could at least appear to have one

https://insideevs.com/news/388301/tesla-cybertruck-fold-up-toy/

Tesla Cybertruck Is Now Also A Fold-Up Toy

Tesla could make some money with licensing objects and toys related to the electric pickup truck.

We suspect that, if Tesla wanted to license toys and objects inspired by the Cybertruck, it could make some decent money just by doing that. The electric pickup truck is immensely popular and has already created a cardboard working toy, a DIY papercraft work of art, and now a fold-up toy. The Alex- Fold Up Toy profile on Twitter released it and was presented to us by Popular Mechanics.

upload_2020-2-18_7-47-7.png

7. To remove this ad click here.