High temperature?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by JulianClarity, Feb 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. JulianClarity

JulianClarity Active Member

I was driving on the highway at below 60mph, it showed me "high temperature, power generation is reduced", then I pressed the i button, it went away.
    I've had the phev 2018 for 13 months, odometer shows a little less than 23k. I did maintenance twice at the dealers, it is notifying me the third one for a012.
    Has anyone had the same issue? What is this?
    Thanks a lot!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JulianClarity

BTW, the outside temperature was less than 50f

4. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

Were you running EV or HV when the warning hit? Either way, it could be a coolant problem of some kind (or just a sensor). I'd probably take it in to the dealer to see if they see any codes stored.

5. JulianClarity

It is a cooling issue. My wife said there is a lot of blue liquid in the garage. I am wondering what happened to it. I should have checked your message before drivjbg back because I am now stalled. I never doubted that a new car like this could have coolant leakage.

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Our A/C condenser sprung a leak and was replaced under warranty. Another forum member's Clarity's A/C condenser sprung a leak and his dealer made him pay to have it repaired. It appears you have a leak. Hopefully you have a good dealer who will honor the warranty.

sabasc likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Active Member

Achilles heel of liquid cooled TMS packs is getting a hole in the cooling radiator (or condenser); usually from a rock or other road debris and typically falls under the "wear & tear" section of the warranty exclusions. Adding an additional layer of protection like a mesh screen is a good idea.

sabasc likes this.
  9. Jennifer B

Jennifer B New Member

JulianClarity
    Clarity is one of several cars known to be vulnerable to radiator puncture by stones, etc entering the front grill. There is a Volt owner who designed a screen to prevent this, and he’s got one for the Clarity too now. Recommend! He’s a straightforward guy, selling screens, charging port neoprene “cozy” covers for outside charging on snowy days, etc. You might check on on EBay, but you can also contact him via email if needed. Sh*t happens.
    Absolutely worth his price!
    Stephen O'Hara voltshop
    Forum won’t let me post an email. You can find it on the Honda Clarity Owners Facebook group if needed. Sorry for your troubles on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    sabasc likes this.
  10. JulianClarity

I am so unlucky. They told me the coolant has no problem but the radiator was hit by something, the leakage was from there. He gave me a quote for $1004 including labor and parts. Is this a reasonable quote? I guess I might have to accept it because otherwise I still need to find a nearby garage and have my car towed there, yet, knowing the fact, they might not give me a good quote either.
    How can anything hit the radiator without damaging the front of my car? I never heard anything while I was driving, can they be bluffing me?

11. Jennifer B

Jennifer B New Member

Julian, that is poor luck, but not impossible. A rock or road debris can fly through the spaces in your front grille. Freaky, but it does happen. My brother has friend whose Chevy Volt had this happen twice (!) in four years. I can’t remember what the voltshop.com Clarity screen cost, but your sad predicament is finally going to make me buy one. I wish someone could tell us if a screen might make any significant decrease in cooling airflow?

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JulianClarity

Thank you Jennifer for the recommendation, I will look into it.

14. JulianClarity

IMG_3857.JPG
    I got the screen and installed it quickly, it looks nice and fits well.

fotomoto likes this.
  15. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

16. su_A_ve

su_A_ve Active Member

Does anyone know it this would be covered under Honda Care?

17. Robert_Alabama

This seems like a reasonable idea. I bought two (one for the Volt and one for the Clarity). Both do seem to be susceptible to rocks damaging the radiator due to the open grill on the front. Probably won't pay off, but the avoided misery if it does would be really helpful. I have received them, but haven't installed yet. The guy selling them was quick to respond via email with price for purchasing two and payment options. Shipping was also very fast.

18. 2639F3ED-ED68-4F8A-9E86-508461D6DFEF.jpeg 2D6DC083-2500-4A12-9767-C5B7DE73B1A2.jpeg I ordered the Clarity screen and expect delivery tomorrow. Today I took a good look at the front and noticed a second grill with much smaller holes attached to the radiator. Our is a 2019.

There is also an opening in the bumper/spoiler below the driver side head light with no grill at all and a radiator lurking inside. This may be another spot to add a screen.

sabasc, Pooky and Robert_Alabama like this.
  19. Robert_Alabama

@Landshark , the 2018 is identical to the 2019 photos you posted. I agree that the inner grill should provide a good deal of protection. Already bought the outer screen, so I'll put it on. I also agree that a more vulnerable spot may be the area on the driver side that you show in your second picture. I'll see if I can find a reasonable "screen" to cover that. Thanks for the photos. I'd probably never have even noticed either of these points.

20. Interesting. I had to trim mine too got behind the front license plate mount. The side hole, on the driver's side, with an unprotected radiator that this doesn't cover, seems to be pretty vulnerable

sabasc likes this.
  21. vicw

vicw Active Member

If I remember correctly, my 2007 Honds Odyssey had an almost identical vulnerability, and Honda provided a no cost (or very low cost) screen that I installed myself. Makes me wonder if Honda may do the same for the Clarity?

22. Interesting
    That would be very cool. I forgot to mention that when I installed my screen I noticed that a large piece of brown paper bag had blown into the hole on the side and had to be fished out. Really awkward design

23. Can confirm it’s a good product. Bought one and it installed beautifully. Looks good too