Check EV System error!

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by tran604, Feb 17, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. tran604

tran604 Member

49B9EF6C-0585-4A3F-9A9A-25FDD8E4979A.jpeg
    Could not get my car into gear this morning. Check electric vehicle system error popped up, could not get the car into any gear.

Took the car for a spirited drive about 200km last night. Battery was at 20% charged to 80%. Drove home 30km and trickle charged to 100%. Preheat via bluelink. Unplugged and started normally. Then the dreaded error popped up.

Did notice battery temperature was around 35c after the 20-80 charge.

Did a check and everything seemed normal. Funny thing is the green ev system light was on, indicating the car is ready to go.

Finally decided to unplug the 12v battery for 5 minutes. That did the trick, all is good now.

Will have to bring it in to the dealers.

Anybody else heard of this problem in the kona ev?

fiercely likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. E-Shark

E-Shark Active Member

First I heard.
    Crazy how you already have almost 3000KM though!!

fiercely likes this.
  4. Vanryan

Vanryan Member

I haven’t heard of this over all the reviews/forums I’ve looked into. Please let us know what you hear from Hyundai. Hopefully it’s an easy fix!

fiercely likes this.
  5. Happened with my first Leaf, check battery voltage with a voltmeter make sure over 12.4V.
    The 16 Leaf I have now (still waiting for Kona) has a better charging algorithm so only need to top up with a battery saver maybe twice a year.
    Fortunately Kona has a remedy ( see at 7:50 of this video)

my .02

mho and CJC like this.
  6. tran604

tran604 Member

yes that was one of the first options I enabled the battery saver. i had the same problem with my old 2013 Leaf too. Checked the battery and was at 12.75v so im still stumped. maybe have to change to a lithium 12v.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CJC

CJC Well-Known Member

Thanks so much. Just sent my husband out to do it. lol

9. Loonmaster

Loonmaster New Member

I also had this problem the other evening (could not get car into gear). I discovered that the Driver Door was not completely closed. As soon as I closed the door - problem solved and I was able to put the car into gear!

Domenick and CJC like this.
  10. Is there no indicator on the dash showing an open door?

11. Loonmaster

Loonmaster New Member

There may have been an indicator but I did not notice. I had just jumped into the car to move it and suddenly could not get it into gear!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I had the same thing happening to me today. The car was charging at a free public 220V charger overnight. I got to it in the morning and got in and started it. The weird thing was that I saw a message that there was an "external discharge". Of course it displayed so briefly that I didn't catch the whole message or was able to take a picture of it.

The only thing I did different than other times was that I had a phone connected to a Bluetooth OBD2 reader reading all night.

I haven't checked the phone yet, maybe I'll see something strange in the OBD2 logs. I am not sure though which PIDs I was logging. Hopefully the 12V battery was one of it.

However since it didn't start I measured the 12V battery with a volt meter and it read 12.6V. Also the car went into drive mode (green car in dash), but I couldn't shift into drive or anything else.

I then disconnected the 12V battery for about 5-10 minutes and after that everything was fine.[​IMG]

14. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

What's involved in disconnecting the battery? Just removing the fuse near one of the posts? Because actually getting a connector off a post looks like a big job.

15. Actually it's pretty quick and easy. I just popped open the little plastic cover on the positive battery pole. Unscrewed the screw with a little adjustable wrench, the whole plastic cover assembly comes off easily. Put it aside so it doesn't touch anything, waited a while and put it back on. Took literally 1 minutes to take off and put back on. I'll keep that little wrench in the car now, just in case.

SkookumPete likes this.
  16. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there's a downside to just pulling the fuse?

Powering off or "cold booting" is the first thing I try after any kind of odd device behaviour and it seems no different with a vehicle. I'm reminded of the old joke where a group of experts in a stalled car each give advice about how to get it going. When it comes to Bill Gates, he says they should all get out and back in again.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  17. I've never seen this message myself while using TP. It's hard to believe it would care about a small drain while it's charging or in run mode, and the OBD port is intended for this. I understand you can find a record of the last dash error in the options menu somewhere, never checked it myself. Oh, but you disconnected battery so it's gone!
    Also wondering if it might be referring to a minor ground fault at the traction battery? The Weber Auto YouTube channel did a good video on this subject.