Clunking Vibration type sound

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by blakehaas, Oct 22, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I hope you recovered your costs from Hyundai for the inconveniences. Nice looking Bolt, that was my second choice but I just couldn't get comfortable with the seats.
    On the down side the news of Hyundai not being able to fix the "card in the spoke" sound is not very encouraging as I have heard it once or twice and now not sure what to expect as a resolution once it becomes more apparent.
    Enjoy your new car and thank you for the updates on your unfortunate situation:)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. blakehaas

blakehaas Member

They gave me back full price including taxes paid for the car. The bolt is quite nice. The seats are not the best but the car was over 13k less than the kona so I can live with that.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. I'm glad you finally have some resolution, enjoy your new car it looks pretty sweet.

5. As an added bonus the Bolt acknowledged reported DCFC charge rate (50 kW) should reduce any EA charges to approx. 1/3 the cost of Kona
    https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing

6. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

$13K will buy a lot of really nice seat padding!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I have heard that the Bolt seats are not as comfortable as the Kona - what's this like in practice?

9. Are there a lot of happy owners without this problem? We have someone on the Niro forum who had their motor replaced with a different part number....and the problem has returned.

10. Ev050

Ev050 New Member

How common in this problem? I have 3k miles now and after reading this thread I am nervous!!! I really love my Kona!!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

11. NRH

NRH Active Member

My guess is that there are 11,000 happy owners without this problem. Car forums are excellent resources, but I think they sometimes give us the impression that uncommon (though not unimportant or insignificant) problems are widespread, because folks with defects end up looking for help on these forums. So cars with problems are over-represented in the forums.

I don’t mean to say that this “card in the spokes” defect isn’t something to watch for, or that 0.1% incidence isn’t evidence of a problem that Hyundai needs to get on top of, but I tend to think that the vast majority of owners won’t have this issue.

Ev050 and Konan the Explorer like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I have about 5000 miles with no issues. A friend of mine not on the forum has about 15k with no issues.

14. I agree absolutely with NRH! We are talking about a relatively small sample size when it comes to faults being recorded and who goes cruising forums but in a lot of instances its owners who are having issues. If you have a cold don't Google "runny nose " or you will most likely get everyone who knows someone who died from it. So keep it in perspective and I personally know three of us who own Konas and not a single one has had any trouble so far, mileage from 5000Km up to 24000Km. For a survey to be a true statistical sample we would need much more data.

15. I was driving away the other day after charging at my fav free charger, when I heard a very clear click, click, click sound that varied with speed. My immediate thought was that it was the dreaded sound that others here have reported, and my car finally started doing this.

I also heard this same sound some weeks ago, after charging again, but it disappeared after driving faster and did not return. I wondered a bit, and started listening to see if the sound would return. But didn't hear it again until just now. This time it persisted incl when I got home, about 1 km from my charger. I then remembered there is some condo construction going on there on the side road, and there is often fine gravel on the pavement at that spot. So I checked my tires, and sure enough found several small pebbles stuck between the treads. I removed them, and went out for a drive again, and the sound was gone.

Is it possible the sounds some people here have reported could be the same thing, ie, little stones stuck between the treads?

16. Gjpzee

Gjpzee Member

Not for me. I've been having the clicking sound intermittently at speeds less than 10mph ever since about 5000 miles. The good thing is that it's not increasing. I'm at 10k miles now. I'm planning to have the dealer check it out when I take it for service probably next month.

electriceddy likes this.
  17. My clicking sound only happens when I'm pressing the accelerator. I do not hear it when coasting, thus ruling out pebbles in the tire or bearing issues.

Andrew Le and electriceddy like this.
  18. Bearing rarely care which way the torque is going.

19. That you for your feedback. Yes, this has been exactly my reason for asking here. People who have a problem are more likely to go searching online and maybe find these forums for the first time, and others on the forum with no problem are less likely to write about it! Since I saw at least 5 or 6 on the Niro side who reported it and the e-Niro has a small number of owners with a large amount of miles I wanted to come to a forum with larger numbers of sales earlier to se what I would see.

I suspect NRH is correct that this only effects a small number, though it does look higher than 0.1%. With the probable small sample size of this forum does insiders and the huge observational sample selection effects I noted, I only hoped to get a better sense of where between 0.1% and maybe 30% (with enough miles) it lies; this impacts whether Kia eventually issues a model wide recall to replace everyone's motor!

20. My two cents based on my experience:

1. I didn’t come out to this forum looking for this clicking problem, and then writing about it. I discovered it after I was already here.

2. The noise can be easy to miss if you’re not looking for it. Especially since it only occurs in a limited low speed range and is partially obscured by the VESS sound. I was intentionally listening for it specifically because of people writing about it. I didn’t hear it for the first 2000 miles, but soon afterwards.

3. The sound is intermittent, making it harder to pick up on.

4. I hypothesize that there may be some owners that have the issue and simply haven’t noticed it. Some folks are more immune to minor sounds than others.

electriceddy likes this.
  21. Agree , can be very difficult to pick up on being intermittent and only in some conditions as described.

22. Sorry it did not work out. I had a Bolt for 3 years. Great car. I particularly liked the 1 pedal driving. Some folks complain about the seats. I was perfectly happy with them. I turned in my 2017 Bolt for a 2020 Kona SEL. Also a great car. So, enjoy. The Bolt should serve you well.

23. EVDog

EVDog Member

So I was planning on buying a Kona EV later this year. (Second choice the Kia Niro). This clicking noise issue is throwing cold water on my interest. Especially because it sounds like Hyundai is just throwing repairs at the problem not even knowing what the problem actually IS.
    Do we know what the incidence of this is to the entire Kona fleet? Is it a small percentage, a large percentage, or will it be a symptom of every Kona sold, until Hyundai starts producing Kona’s without this issue? Anyone? Bueller??

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs