Older model S friction brakes

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Re-Volted, Jan 26, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Re-Volted

Re-Volted New Member

I've repeatedly had an issue with the regular brakes in my old S. Tesla says the pads are fine. This is obviously a worst case scenario; in temps low enough, leaving work with a cold battery so no Regen, and raining. In this case there is almost nothing there, feels like the disks are coated with oil. They aren't. Volt worked normal in the same scenario. Touch, release, touch does help so maybe the S is more vulnerable to wet brakes. If not I have to assume that multiple wheels are not braking. Maybe only one working immediately but I didn't notice any skidding. Was at highway speed and pretty scary when traffic suddenly slows. Looking for an informed opinion before sending the service center on a wild goose chase that'll be expensive. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Re-Volted

Re-Volted New Member

So to update my post:
    I ended up buying a full set of slotted/drilled rotors with ceramic pads on Ebay and installed them myself - not my first brake job! Months later I'd have to give the choice 5 stars. My wet braking problems are gone and all braking clearly better with no issues. The whole job cost me about $250 with a loaner torque wrench and a can of red caliper paint. Note: very hard to get even quality paint to stick to calipers!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs