Small issues/quirks

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Brennan Raposo, Mar 10, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

@Oilberta when I switched while in sport ,it didn't go back to normal.Instead the Kona went to eco + where the car's speed dropped to its limited speed.I quickly hit the mode again to go back to normal so I could accelerate without the limitation of eco+

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Are you sure you didn't push it down a little too long? It shouldn't go into eco+ unless you keep the button pushed.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

4. SkookumPete

SkookumPete Well-Known Member

Auto Hold has nothing to do with stopping. It simply allows you to take your foot off the brake when stopped. BTW I recommend using the brakes to stop quickly. :rolleyes:

electriceddy and KiwiME like this.
  5. Totally agree ... you can drive the Kona like any normal car without compromising anything.

ehatch and KonaTom like this.
  6. David-Sweden

David-Sweden New Member

Yesterday, my wife shovelled snow in the morning with her key in her pocket. When she approached the car, the mirrors extended automatically. Late that afternoon, the car was completely dead when she tried to start it (so I had to get a taxi from the airport). Plugging in the charging cable did nothing and the charging light did not come on. While waiting for the service truck, I played around with different options and realised the mirrors were still extended. Freezing rain had been falling much of the day and the car was coated in ice. I suspect the mirrors froze in the extended position, then when they tried to retract, the mirror motors ran, depleting the 12 volt battery. I didn't hear the mirror motors running but after disabling the mirror retraction function, I noticed that the light in the power button came on after a while (but nothing else). I'm assuming once the power drain was removed, the 12 volt started charging again from the main batteries. The service truck arrive a while after this and the 12 volt batter was at 5.5 volts. He jumped it and everything works fine now. As I understand the handbook, the 12-volt battery charges from the main batteries so would have eventually been charged up enough to start the car. Anyone know if this is correct?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. That is correct. If the 12V battery dies you only need to jump start and then the High Voltage battery will charge the car, if you leave it "running" for a while.

I assume if you turn it off immediately it would die again, but it is also possible that the car is smart enough to keep the 12V charging. I'm not sure if anybody tried that.

9. SkookumPete

No. When the 12v is dead, nothing in the car works including the auxiliary charger. To save another service call, you could invest in one of those little jump-starter kits.

But I'm curious about the motorized mirrors, which I've never seen mentioned as an available feature. What market are you in?

Kirk and Domenick like this.
  10. I believe they are in Sweden.

11. I thought all Kona variations had motorised folding mirrors?

Definitely need to turn off the "Welcome" feature in the cluster settings. Aside from the risk of ice damage, the car apparently draws more 12V power when 'off'.
    It would surprise me if the mirror controller was not smart enough to recognize that the motion was inhibited, but better leave the auto folding feature disabled to not risk damage.

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CBlue

CBlue New Member

Puzzling startup
    With the temperature at -17°C (1.4°F), the key fob opened the Kona fine, but, while trying to start the vehicle with my foot on the brake, the only symbol on the cluster was the yellow key icon on the lower left. Repeated the process with the same result. On the third or fourth time, the red battery icon also appeared. Repetition with the same result. Opening the large AV screen showed it asking for confirmation. Using my mobile, not the Hyundai, I phoned my wife and, while explaining the situation to her, the Kona came to life as it normally should.

About two and a half hours earlier at -20°C (-4°F), my wife used the warm-up feature while it charged and left it in Winter Mode. The Kona traveled about 5.2 km (3.25 miles) with heat on as well as one seat heater part of the time, then sat turned off. So, did the 12V battery get low due to the warm-up even though the Kona was charging? Would the cold weather and short trip (our usual) be a major factor? What occurred to cause it to come to life?

electriceddy likes this.
  14. Canadian ones don't have power mirrors, even in the top trims.

15. SkookumPete

We don't need them on our wide roads and parking spots, but it would be nice to have them on the ferries!

electriceddy likes this.
  16. I believe the right thing to respond to the key icon is to hold the fob on the start button so it can read it.
    These 12V issues really are puzzling. As long as you are in "run" or "utility" mode with 12V accessories 'on' there shouldn't be a problem as it's being charged.
    But some loads are quite high and the battery would not power them long by itself. I would expect the best part of 100 amps with all that going.
    But the cold must play a major part and I'll defer to apu and others who have direct experience.
    I don't think being Winter Mode would have any bearing on this as it uses the HV battery for its heater and the 12V only for the coolant pump.

17. Don't lose her # :D

18. I had a couple of weird things happen between yesterday and today:

1. I was driving on the highway yesterday with Waze running through ApplePlay. At one point, the media screen just randomly rebooted. Only happened once, then everything was fine after that. I've used Waze/ApplePlay many times before and never saw this behavior.

2. This morning, I was driving with Auto climate control on. At one point, I looked down and noticed that the LED lights for the Auto and Heat buttons were all off. The GOM reading reflected a lower number (as I would expect when the heat is on), so the car still thought the climate control was on. I hit the auto button and the LED light came on (The GOM reading remained the same). I hit the climate button again to turn it off and the LED went off and the GOM reading went up (as expected). I hit the climate button one last time and the LED went on and the GOM reading went down (again as expected). No issues after that.

Anyone else encounter any of these two issues?

19. The first issue has reported a number of times on various forums, but not occuring to any one owner on a frequent basis.
    As for the second issue, the climate control unit seems to have a mind of its own, so I'm not surprised but haven't heard of that exact issue before.

Domenick likes this.
  20. Even using the heat pump is inconsistent as one day it draws 800 W and the next 1.6 kW even though the ambient temp is the same. Can make for unpredictable range calculations.

21. Hahn

Hahn New Member

My noted quirk would be the front seats. When researching the Kona I thought it somewhat strange that no matter what trim level, the front passenger seat was mechanical. Strange but OK, noted. I live in Arizona, can't buy Hyundai EV or PHEV in AZ. Last year I bought a Sonata PHEV in California and a couple of weeks ago took delivery of a Kona EV. We do a border exchange at mile post 1 in AZ so all the paperwork is notarized in AZ. This time around the dealer didn't do a very good job of prepping the car for delivery. It was missing the manual and mats among other things which they sent by pony express (and the horse died in route) a week later I finally got the manual and mats.

Sooo without the manual I'm trying to figure out where the setting for the driver seat is. My wife and I have very different settings. I know where they are in the Sonata but they must be well hidden in the Kona . . . I didn't think in my wildest dreams that it didn't have memory seats???? Such a basic feature. I have the Ultimate trim, I can push a button and have my posterior scratched but no memory seats??? Didn't even think to look for that, wouldn't have been a deal breaker but really a weird missing feature. I love the car but other than that Mrs Lincoln how did you like the play?

Domenick likes this.
  22. Yup. I've seen similar things in both cases. For me the multimedia display has crashed using Waze, but not Apple Maps. With Apple maps I've had the experience of the map simply losing "me" and no longer displaying the route. I'm pretty sure that's an Apple issue however.

I have seen weird behavior with the Auto setting on the climate control. Similar to what you described. I think the Auto button is sort of dumb in that it can't really monitor the system outside of itself. It basically has settings that it tries to maintain. If something unexpected happens, like the interior temp rises to the point that the AC kicks in automatically, it loses it's way. That's what happens with my Kona. Sun comes out, car warms up, Auto settings tell the system it's too warm now, AC comes on, and Auto-climate gets wacky. I have to turn everything off to get the system to work as expected again.

23. I've said it before: because electric cars are pricey they largely tend to attract people with money. People with money tend to drive more luxurious vehicles. They get used to bells and whistles. Electric cars are expensive but are generally not luxury vehicles. We're paying for the battery. I went from a Fiat 500, to the Kona. Before that it was a Yaris and Echo. Memory seats have definitely not been standard equipment for me!

Domenick and apu like this.