Looking for portable charger (EVSE) advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Gsbrryprk8, Jan 19, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I want to buy a portable level-2 EVSE to keep in my Kona in case I find myself out of range of a J-1772 plug. I assume that remote areas are more likely to have campgrounds, and if they allow RVs, they'll have 30A (NEMA 14-30 wall plug) or 50A (14-50 wall plug) service.

I did a random search on a gocampingamerica.com and it seems that 14-30 and 14-50 plugs are about equally available. Therefore, since Tesla chargers use 14-50 plugs, I figure this might be the type to get. It would offer a faster charge, though my priority in that situation would be access and not charging speed.

Thoughts? Has anybody used campgrounds? And importantly, what other places often have 240V receptacles to consider (and which ones)? Marinas?

images1.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. My recommendation would be get an EVSE with a 14-50 plug and adjustable amps. plus a adapter from 14-50 to a 14-30 this will cover all the bases.

Most campgrounds have 14-50 for motor homes and Nema TT-30 for travel trailers. The TT-30 is a 120 volt plug not a 240 volt and is not the same as a 14-30>

Here is a link to a thread discussing campground charging and adapters.

https://insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/rv-adapter.6247/

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  4. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

Oh, I didn’t realize that. In that case, the 14-50 is the way to go. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Take a peek at my signature EVSE.

Bob Wilson